• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
    Wow - what an illuminating piece of history.

Many thanks, Pabs (in the absence of a <rumemoticon>)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
      No she's not (at least if you follow nomenclature as it has been since 1952). The then Prime Minister (Churchill) announced that henceforth any Monarch with 'double' titles would be known by the higher of the two. Had this been in place in 1603 (was it?) James I would have been James VI; and James II would have been James VII.

If Charlie wanted to call himself Charles (he's already said he'll be George) he'd be Charles III. The next James will be James VIII.
      So it was all Churchill's fault then? A great wartime leader but useless in peacetime, it seems.

James I was the correct and logical title for the new unified "post" . Elizabeth II is most certainly not and has been the odd one out in this respect ever since the Union of Crowns.

Indefensible!

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
        So it was all Churchill's fault then? ...
        Unlikely that the PM would ignore the wishes of the newly-ascended Queen. Presumably she insisted on Elizabeth - hence the problem. Whichever way Churchill turned he might have offended someone. The Queen is (I think) Elizabeth Alexandra Mary, and could therefore have avoided the problem by adopting Alexandra. After all, only one among her father (Albert), grandfather (George) and great-grandfather (Albert) adopted his 'usual' name. But she did, nevertheless.

Silly isn't it?

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
          • Jun 2014

Unlikely that the PM would ignore the wishes of the newly-ascended Queen. Presumably she insisted on Elizabeth - hence the problem.
          No, the name was no real problem at all ... it was (and is) the number!

Silly isn't it?
          Very!

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I have a personal flag story. My father was a very modest man who disliked talking of his experiences as a RN officer during the war, disliked Remembrance Sunday and always tried to beat it to the cinema exit before thoe National (sorry Pabs) Anthem was played. He took my sister and me on a Norfoolk Broads holiday in the 1950s. On taking over the boat from the hire company he quietly slipped something out of his luggage. He took the Red Duster ( as he called it) down and replaced it with a White Ensign...the only sign of personal pride or indeed patriotism that I ever saw him display.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              Red if you're bog-standard (suits me) blue if you belong to a posh yacht club or white for the RN.
              You can have a (defaced) blue ensign at a not-terribly-posh club - I had an aunt and a nuncle who were both members :

The only sailing club in the City of London. We offer RYA training to members and non-members alike, club nights and, always, sailing in good company.

... and, ectually, a white ensign if you belong to a really posh yacht club :

Last edited by vinteuil; 20-09-15, 16:00.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Also, remember that the Union Flag is not (even today) officially our national flag.
                ... aw, go on, remind us - what is our National Flag (if we have one... )?

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... aw, go on, remind us - what is our National Flag (if we have one... )?
                  As I asked earlier, with a second attempt at Scottish "independence" quite possibly around the corner, shall we see the Union flag? (i.e. flagging, in case anone didn't get that connotation)...

Flag-waving is so tiresome, be it done by Britain or the So-Called Islamic State...

Anyway, given the old chestnut about Britain waiving the rules, if and/or when the British monarchy goes into externally or internally enforced terminal decline, will that be a case of "God waive the Queen"?...

Comment

• Once Was 4
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    You were lucky
                    Muddy puddles were for the posh kids
                    And we just got the mud in our part of Yorkshire - pay your water rate and a policeman came round to see where you go the money from.

I remember an MU meeting in the old days when a lot of activists were, shall we say, 'old school'. Talk about minimum legal temperatures for rehearsals and they would start a rant about 'elitist softies' and describe conditions when they were playing for ice shows in the 1940s. But I got my own back - one once shouted at me across the table "listen, you've never lived in a house with an outside toilet!" and I was able to reply in totally honesty "yes I have and it had frogs in it for company!" Ah but them wus good days.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Queen Saves God

In a dramatic move to forestall further infingements of the right to condemn those refusing to support the Monarchy by song or word of mouth, writes our Royal Correspondent, it has been announced by The Palace that Her Majesty has been on the blower to Him Upstairs in declaring the support of Herself and Her ever-loyal Moral Majority of subjects as upholding His alleged existence to be Her guaranteed means of continuance in the likely instance of failed succession.

In the light of Jeremy Corbyn's election as leader of the Labour Party [sic] doubts had been circulating among Front Bench members... (Contd. P.950)

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

I am both a believer and completely unashamed and non-revisionary monarchist
                          A rather late response to this, as the thread has moved on to discussions of baths & donkey-jackets, but Mr T might like this, especially given his avatar

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            Yes - but the reference to "QEII" that scotty made, which ahinton queried, to which jean referred as a "yacht", to which I replied (having lived in the house that Union Jack built) was to this vessel, not the current monarch (as ahinton thought).
                            My irony must be getting as rusty as the rest of me!

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

As for ahinton he seems more 'Franglais' than 'Scottish', judged by some of his posts.

Of course, I could be wrong. It can happen.
                              It can indeed - and things are not always what they seem, even to you, Mr Tea-strainer! I have no idea how you "judge" anyone's posts so cannot comment on how you might arrive at any of your conclusions. I admit that my French is terrible (so sorry, FF) but I'm unaware that I have revealed this fact in anything that I've posted here.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                                • Jun 2014

Very good, Flossie ... as it happens that song also brings back a few embarrassing memories about some youthful and excruciatingly-clumsy girl-chasing attempts ...

Comment

Working...
                                X