X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

The donkey jacket that never was. I still have an image in my mind of Footie in a donkey jacket - so, a donkey jacket it was!

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      A smart sensible jacket, for a cold November day. A bit feminine, though. Mrs T looks wonderful.
      You really need to see a psychiatrist (and not for the taste in music)

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

For the second half of that post, but surely not for the first?

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

...“a short, blue-green overcoat” bought for Mr Foot by his wife, Jill, at considerable expense...

Though possibly at less expense than would have been required for the duffel coat featured earlier in this thread.

But it does appear that the myth originated within the Labour party:

...one Labour MP said he was “disgusted to see that the leader of Her Majesty’s opposition looked more like an Irish navvy than a party leader” ...

Do we know who it was?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            You really need to see a psychiatrist (and not for the taste in music)
            You often suggest that I see a psychiatrist. What will it help with?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              I once had a duffle bag (if that helps this conversation), an essential accessory for a train-spotter which I was briefly but enthusiastically aged about 11 as I travelled daily to Clapham Junction to get to school.
              I had a duffle bag when I was a very young lad in the '60s. It was blue with white plastic bits at the top and bottom. It was cheap and nasty. I never liked it and I don't remember what happened to it.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
                (Shouldn't it be duffel in any case?)
                I thought so - but my Nanny State spellcheck got very cross with me, so I checked - and apparently it's "duffle coat" and "duffel bag"!

Looks wrong, though, doesn't it?
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

I still have an image in my mind of Footie in a donkey jacket - so, a donkey jacket it was!
                  That's how History is made.

(Does anyone play Footie in a Donkey Jacket?)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Duffel/le bags were useless - never big enough, and the ropes always dug into your back and shoulders. Satchels (and Rucksacks) much better!

AND you could put them on under your coat and go around calling out "The Bells! The Bells!"

I didn't have many friends.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      That's how History is made.

(Does anyone play Footie in a Donkey Jacket?)
                      De rigeur on the terraces at one time.
                      Which is of course how the fans described the imperative....

( Some of the teams I have seen ran around like they were wearing donkey jackets...and played like donkeys....)
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Gordon
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                        Michael Foot. Who in their right mind would judge someone's ability as a leader by what they wear?
                        The Army?

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

I loved my duffel/ell/le coat - very cosy, and great toggle-twisting opportunities

wikipedia seems very confused on the spelling

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Duffel/le bags were useless - never big enough, and the ropes always dug into your back and shoulders. Satchels (and Rucksacks) much better!
                            Back in my school days, I didn't wear a duffle/el coat or carry a duffel/le bag or satchel or rucksack; I always relied on a briefcase and a conventional overcoat when the cold weather required one.

That said, we seem to have gone a long way from whether anyone should or should not or indeed could or could not save the non-duffel/le-coat-wearing non-duffle/el-bag carrying Queen - or indeed from what, let alone whether or not the present National Anthem ought to be scrapped altogether or substituted with something else...

Comment

• mangerton
                              • Nov 2010

AND you could put them on under your coat and go around calling out "The Bells! The Bells!"
                              Didn't ever do that. A missed opportunity. Duffel/le bags were very common at school when I were a lad. On Thursdays we used them to convey swimming gear to and from the baths (as they were known) and on Wednesdays they were used for rugby kit.

Duffel/le coats were school uniform at my last school, and very practical they were too. I wore my last coat until I was about 40, when the then mrs m declared enough was enough, and disposed of it.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                                I wore my last coat until I was about 40, when the then mrs m declared enough was enough, and disposed of it.
                                I was given a Duffel coat as a Christmas present in 1981 - I still wear it when I'm working in the garden in Winter. The only thing wrong with it is that all but two of the leather thongs holding the toggles have perished. Is it possible to get these repaired (I still have the toggles in one of the pockets)?

Comment

Working...
                                X