• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Diets

For the past 8 weeks I have been on a diet. None of these ~Weight Watchers or Slimming funny duddy diets, just by eating sensibly. In other words, no rubbish! So far I have lost over a stone and nearly a half! Not bad but I am still drinking real ale and whisky!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Sounds like a win-win.
    Sorry about losing the kidney stone

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      For the past 8 weeks I have been on a diet. None of these ~Weight Watchers or Slimming funny duddy diets, just by eating sensibly. In other words, no rubbish! So far I have lost over a stone and nearly a half! Not bad but I am still drinking real ale and whisky!
      If Carlsberg did diets..

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Congratulations, Bbm

Some years ago, I was putting on the pounds, so decided to diet -like you, I avoided faddy diets, and carried on eating the stuff I liked eating; I just gradually cut down on the amount I ate (eventually getting it to half what I used to) and moved around a bit more - walking more, and even silly little things like parking the car at the bottom of the Car Park where I worked. Three stones lighter by the end of the year (and a warning at my annual health check not to lose any more!) - and it's kept off.

Good luck and Best Wishes.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Thanks Ferney!

I think the diet went out the window this week! But back on track from today!
          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I put ion 2.5lbs this week. Not surprising after a holiday!
            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• mahlerei
              • Jun 2015

After years of dithering I finally joined a gym a while back. The advantage of regular programmed workouts is that your metalism gets a boost and that helps to burn calories long after the session is over. That, combined with a sensible diet, seems the sensible way to go. Hurts, though :-))

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

As one who has never dieted in his life, I am constantly appalled to see how much people eat. I was brought up to have set meal times with very little snacking in between, possibly a legacy of my mother's wartime upbringing, and I still follow this regime in the main. The way I see people stuff themselves silly, eating rubbish at all hours, on the train, at work etc, it's no wonder there is so much obesity about.

I've also never driven so do a lot of walking and can't understand those who pay extortionate fees at the gym for something they can do for free.

Eat less, eat at regular times and walk more, that's my motto.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Conchis
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2014

Just before the end of 2011, I decided to do something about my general level of fitness.

I cut down on consumption and exercised more.

This year, I have done Shaun T's Insanity! programme twice. It cost me £100.00 to buy but it far, far more effective than any gym membership could be.

I've now taken up weight training, having decided that cardio can only take you so far.

I feel better than ever and am even enjoying excretes, for the first time in my life.

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                    and am even enjoying excretes, for the first time in my life.
                    It's wonderful what a good wholesome high fibre diet can do for you!

Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

True enough, Flay. Each to their own, I always say. I find generally, the one I have adopted, works for me. I have to be careful what type of exercise I do.
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        As one who has never dieted in his life, I am constantly appalled to see how much people eat. I was brought up to have set meal times with very little snacking in between, possibly a legacy of my mother's wartime upbringing, and I still follow this regime in the main. The way I see people stuff themselves silly, eating rubbish at all hours, on the train, at work etc, it's no wonder there is so much obesity about.

I've also never driven so do a lot of walking and can't understand those who pay extortionate fees at the gym for something they can do for free.

This sounds like good sense to me, and is very much my stance too.

I was one of those lucky people who never put on an ounce. I could eat anything I liked and it didn't have the slightest effect until the age of about fifty, when I suddenly found to my horror that if I ate exactly as I pleased my weight did go up. It was quite a shock to me. I started to watch what I eat, but have found no need to go on a specific diet. If you eat less, you lose weight - it's as simple as that.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

Like you, Mary, I never seemed to put on weight, and even discovering cooking and wine in my 40s only increased it a bit.
                          All academic now, since recurrent health problems have made eating itself a problem since the Spring, sometimes I'm on liquids-only for days. Juice, Badoit (while it stays fizzy), coffee, soups... then the gradual reintroduction of eggs...
                          Causes remain mysterious.

Fasting is interesting though. After no solids for 5 days, I felt very sleepy and strange, but I actually looked glowingly healthy. That first boiled egg was the tastiest, sunniest, goldenest egg I ever tasted. I seem to be turning Vegetarian for the second time in my life, this time of necessity.... (I abandoned it for health reasons the first time, so...). But I enjoyed a Ginsters Cornish Pasty with a salad a few nights ago, after nothing but a croissant, coffee and herbal tea all day. When I saw it was just 14% Beef I thought I could risk it. What a feast it was!

At the moment my meals are usually "late, light, Oriental..." Foo Yung, salads, omelettes... Which suits for another reason, as I have to prepare or plan a separate carb-rich meal for Mum much earlier in the evening. Which scarcely helps the appetite either. Energy levels a bit low. Don't know where this is heading.
                          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 20-09-15, 16:15.

Comment

• mahlerei
                            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

£37 a month isn't extortionate. And as I am disabled walks - free or otherwise - aren't an option for me :-(

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Like I said earlier, all I am doing is more walking and less of the rubbish that I seem to have been getting in the habit of doing. So easy that but changing is anither.
                              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X