Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

A certain "art critic" (I believe) on AQ, whose name will not foul my lips, had the temerity to suggest that the likes of wealthy Americans like Palmer have been essential to countries such as Zimbabwe's conservation policies. Having seen this man's luxurious home leaves me wondering if US citizens are required to cough up for exorbitant health insurance policies in order to be able to get dental treatment over there.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      A certain "art critic" (I believe) on AQ, whose name will not foul my lips, had the temerity to suggest that the likes of wealthy Americans like Palmer have been essential to countries such as Zimbabwe's conservation policies. Having seen this man's luxurious home leaves me wondering if US citizens are required to cough up for exorbitant health insurance policies in order to be able to get dental treatment over there.
      I think I've deduced who that is - he has, er, form in various fields. It's nonsense, of course, trophy hunting brings in a fraction of what ecotourism yields. Cecil alive was worth vastly more than the revenue from killing him. Here's the Huff Post.....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        I think I've deduced who that is - he has, er, form in various fields. It's nonsense, of course, trophy hunting brings in a fraction of what ecotourism yields. Cecil alive was worth vastly more than the revenue from killing him. Here's the Huff Post.....
        Thanks Richard. It's vital (if depressing) to know this sort of thing.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          The first of your links dates from 1983. We (collectively) haven't learned much in the last 30 or so years. Hopelessly sad.

PS: it's curious that the article is copyrighted 1983, yet cites a range of articles up to 1994 and beyond to 1998!
          Last edited by Dave2002; 01-08-15, 17:09.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
            • Jun 2014

Looks like the animal kingdom knows how to fight back and in the right places too ...

A man in East Texas is wounded after a bullet he fired at an armadillo ricocheted and hit him, the local sheriff says.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              The first of your links dates from 1983. We (collectively) haven't learned much in the last 30 or so years. Hopelessly sad.

PS: it's curious that the article is copyrighted 1983, yet cites a range of articles up to 1994 and beyond to 1998!
              No idea how that came about, the article just seemed to encapsulate the arguments quite neatly. I would guess the economics have tipped further in favour of ecotourism in the meantime!
              Last edited by Guest; 01-08-15, 19:37.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                Looks like the animal kingdom knows how to fight back and in the right places too ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33748027

My own experience of collaring carnivores comes from a project I took part in in 2001 - an Earthwatch project studying small carnivores (ocelots, skunks etc., all a bit smaller than Cecil, though we did see puma footprints) in the dry tropical forest of Western Mexico. The only armadillo I saw was the remains of a shell that had been scooped out by a large carnivore - puma or jaguar - who appear to view them as live tacos.

Comment

Working...
                X