X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

2024's 'Portillo moment'

I'm guessing that for many people the slow handclap that preceded the announcement of the result in SW Norfolk may be the abiding image of the 2024 General; Election, but are there other contenders for this year's 'Portillo moment'?
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    I'm guessing that for many people the slow handclap that preceded the announcement of the result in SW Norfolk may be the abiding image of the 2024 General; Election, but are there other contenders for this year's 'Portillo moment'?
    The lettuce's Portillo moment was more of a comedy of errors on the night.
    When she did finally appear through an unexpected side door, following a slow handclap...
    and
    “I think she just wasn’t sure which way to get off the stage.”

So perhaps doing a travelogue, a la Portillo, wouldn't be a sensible idea for the future, given the issues with navigation, and entry/exit doors in particular?

Comment

• CallMePaul
      • Jan 2014

I thought that we were asked not to post about politics and that a number of well-known members were removed from the forum for doing so!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
        I thought that we were asked not to post about politics and that a number of well-known members were removed from the forum for doing so!
        I'm sure it will be "back to business as usual" once all the hype is over.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
          Agreed. Moreover, we were requested (ie warned) not to surreptitiously slide political comments into other subject topics. It does seem hard on those who were banned to have the warnings wilfully ignored, and equally hard on the rest of us who have abided by the rules despite desperately wanting to share feelings over the course of the election campaign.
          Last edited by Petrushka; 07-07-24, 22:00.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Agreed. Moreover, we were requested (ie warned) not to surreptitiously slide political comments into other subject topics. It does seem hard on those who were banned to have the warnings wilfully ignored, and equally hard on the rest of us who have abided by the rules despite desperately wanting to share feelings over the course of the election campaign.
            I didn't think that asking people to select a memorable moment from the television coverage of an election campaign would be interpreted as an underhand way of starting a political argument. That was certainly not my intention. However, had I decided to take as an example the hat worn by a particular returning officer I might possibly have been accused of being trivial.

Comment

• burning dog
              • Dec 2010

I would hope that this kind of poltical reference is acceptable on a radio 3 website.

"I remember singing as a chorister in Peterborough Cathedral, having won a music scholarship to go to school there, and realising for the first time in my life what true excellence was."

David Lammy
              Last edited by burning dog; 08-07-24, 06:58. Reason: Additional Quotation"

Comment

• burning dog
                • Dec 2010

Another quote from a well known person about classical music

“I feel passionately about music,” Sir Keir told Classic FM Requests presenter, Anne-Marie Minhall in an exclusive interview (watch above).

“Not just for the enjoyment of music, which is profound. But also because of the skills that learning music gives to children, young people.”

Growing up Sir Keir played four instruments; the flute, the recorder, the piano and the violin. His many hours of practice led to a place on the Guildhall School’s junior programme as a teenager."

Keir Starmer

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

I did consider that request and the unhappy circumstances that prompted it but I didn't think that anything in my post was political - it could just as well have been another well-known figure who publicly struggles with doors. The Guardian link might be considered more contentious, but that was included because it is considered good practice to provide sources for quotes.
                  There are recent posts elsewhere on the Forum which to me seem far more political than Portillo moments.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

....Ah the raised thumb tack gets pushed into the cork notice board (the postcard advertising free tomato plant is secured)....
                    bong ching

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

For the first time in my life, aged 75, I voted for a parliamentary candidate that got elected.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

I did consider that request and the unhappy circumstances that prompted it but I didn't think that anything in my post was political - it could just as well have been another well-known figure who publicly struggles with doors. The Guardian link might be considered more contentious, but that was included because it is considered good practice to provide sources for quotes.
                        There are recent posts elsewhere on the Forum which to me seem far more political than Portillo moments.
                        I suppose I could have gone for a snappier thread title, such as:
                        'Which will prove to be the abiding images of the coverage of the recent general election?' or
                        'Which images will prove to be those which best encapsulate the coverage of the recent general election?'

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

....it's just slapstick.....
                          bong ching

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

That is quite mistaken. People who were banned refused to accept the moderator's decision and kept arguing about it on the forum. There is a specific House Rule asking people NOT to start new threads or post dissent about a decision: the moderator's decision is final. People should query decisions by PM not on the forum. In any case, political discussion even then was 'suspended' not banned.

I originally opened the Ideas and Theories forum precisely in the hope that people would be able to discuss politics in a more analytical way without resorting to insults, ridicule, contempt, anger or any other uncontrolled childishness. This members have shown that they can do and I have no objection to the discussion of recent events. Ban politics, ban football. Or tolerate both

As you were.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                              • Nov 2010

....all is well in the best of all possible worlds....boom boom....
                              bong ching

Comment

Working...
                              X