X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

'Consultation Fees'

Some private Dentists and Vets are at it, charging consultation fees before carrying out the work you asked them for. It no longer seems possible to ring up and get a filling appointment without being examined and x-rayed despite having been examined and x-rayed within the last 12 months and incurring a hefty £80 charge for the privilege.
    Vets are doing it too, a friend took his dog for minor dental treatment and was quoted £250 by a branch of one vet group, £650 by a different branch of the same group and told that the dog must be given a medical examinaion first, despite the dog having no health problem, that cost £70 and he ended up paying a further £475 for scaling and polishing the dog's teeth. He was also told that the dog must have a tooth extracted pushing the bill to £800. My friend's daughter is a dentist so she took a look and found nothing wrong with the tooth.
    Whoever wins on 4/7 I for one will be asking my local MP to take up the issues raised.
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

Coincidentally (geddit?) I paid £99.99 this morning in advance for a 'consulation' with a dentist. I hadn't been for five years so I didn't know whether or not that was expensive by today's 'cost-of-living-crisis' standards. I had no complaints, though, as my dentist is excellent and quickly found out the problem; this included an X-ray.

In principle I do believe all health care should be free, which it could be if the national economy were managed for the benefit of the majority. But at present 'free' treatment is virtually inaccessible here, it being almost impossible to get a doctor's appointment, so I was pleased to get a dentist's at 3 hours notice.

Comment

Working...
    X