X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Jodie Devos (1988 – 2024)

I was deeply saddened to hear of the death of the soprano, Jodie Devos, at the the cruelly early age of 35. Gramophone obituary.

I got to know her via her beautiful contribution to a favourite recent song recording: Massenet: Songs with Orchestra
  • Keraulophone
    • Nov 2010

A tragic loss. I don't listen to much Offenbach or Massenet but I was impressed by Jodie Devos's 2021 album And Love Said which includes songs by Gurney, Britten, Walton and RVW. She must have been introduced to them while studying at the Royal Academy of Music. It is unusual to hear this repertoire sung by a French speaker, yet she sings these most beautifully with great empathy with the music and texts, especially all five of Gurney's Elizabethan Songs.

There's a surprise final item on the album. In Ms Devos's own words: "I discovered Queen before I discovered opera. When I heard Freddy Mercury singing You take my breath away at the piano in Hyde Park, I was overwhelmed. I had to include that love song in my recital!"

Comment

• Keraulophone
      • Nov 2010

Jodie Devos singing "Der Hölle Rache" (Queen of the Night) from Die Zauberflote... absolutely brilliant.

R.I.P.

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

My goodness - what a terrible loss of life and career for her - and for us. I just listened to der Hoelle Rache with tears in my eyes....

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Desperately sad news. That Mozart singing is in the Popp class.

Comment

Working...
          X