• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    In my view things will always change not IMVVHO always for the better, but usually in the way the coming generation want them to?
    But that assumes "corporate thought". The reality is that there are 64,000,000 human brains out there, all with different thoughts and priorities. Assumption of a generation's wishes is highly speculative, and may reflect those with the loudest (or most articulate) mouths.

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      But that assumes "corporate thought". The reality is that there are 64,000,000 human brains out there, all with different thoughts and priorities. Assumption of a generation's wishes is highly speculative, and may reflect those with the loudest (or most articulate) mouths.
      I bow to your infinitely greater knowledge of the preferences of the classical music yoof of today as against say 30 years ago - are they at peace with the Clemmie/Twitter/Rodeo presentation or would they prefer the R3 breakfast table of 30 years ago? What I do know is that today's "average " R2 audience would gallop a mile from the R2 of 30 years ago ....

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        There is a tendency for 'classical music only' people to somehow class rock/pop/folk festivals as somehow inferior,which is unfair.
        The Proms aint what it used to be.
        All IMVHO of course.
        I don't think there's any need to assume that pointing out a difference necessarily implies a value judgment. Presumably that was behind Seckerson's smug, 'They need to get over themselves'.

Isn't the problem that as contemporary popular music expands, diversifies and fragments, and as the media, platforms and spaces also expand to contain it, any music that doesn't fit majority taste is getting pushed into the small cobwebby boxroom that used to be marked 'Classical Music': so film music, musicals, LJ-type music, 'world music (1987)', aging pop groups, which still have their fans, have to go in the boxroom because no one else will have them? And their fans fight to stay in the one place that's offered to them?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

... why is "big" here considered to be a good attribute?

For me, large numbers of people, crowds, is my idea of Hell.

I know some people relish being part of the Borg. For others it is anathema.

It wd be nice to celebrate a small gathering...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Resistance in NOT futile.

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... why is "big" here considered to be a good attribute?

For me, large numbers of people, crowds, is my idea of Hell.

It wd be nice to celebrate a small gathering...
              I suppose the person who started the thread suggested this - in a fashion. As ever we have moved onto other things including in the last few days do Sullivan and Rodgers have any place on R3?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

I think that Celtic Connections must be considered pretty big, if not the biggest. It's possibly one of the widest in terms of scope, with performers & music from just about every inhabited continent, from traditional music to new compositions and commissions.

Comment

Working...
                X