X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frances_iom
    • Mar 2007

BBC Trust to go with Ofcom to rule BBC

today's Torygraph is 'reporting' that current Gov plans are to abolish the BBC Trust at next licence review and place the BBC under Ofcom to ensure 'impartiality' and 'value for money'
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
    today's Torygraph is 'reporting' that current Gov plans are to abolish the BBC Trust at next licence review and place the BBC under Ofcom to ensure 'impartiality' and 'value for money'
    Does this thread comply with the "no politics" rule?

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Does this thread comply with the "no politics" rule?
      If not, it will create quite a conundrum given that BBC is the provider of Radio 3! Over to FF for the answer to that one, I imagine.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

It's culture:

Sources say forthcoming green paper on broadcaster’s future likely to call for abolition of Trust without backing alternative regulator

Government denies decision made on Ofcom replacing BBC Trust

I don't know what's been officially said, but presumably someone has said something unofficially, since there's a story somewhere with the sensational news that the BBC Trust may be abolished. Now there's a surprise.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

This (from the i) is unlikely to help

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
            This (from the i) is unlikely to help
            They tried last time: http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...nce-fee-frozen

In exchange for NOT paying for the over 75s' free licences, the BBC took over funding the World Service, S4C and several other costs. With the licence fee frozen for 6 years. I'm sure the BBC isn't expecting anything less than massive spending cuts on services.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Russ

The BBC needs governance. OFCOM is an excellent regulator, but it is entirely unsuited to provide governance.

Russ

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Russ View Post
                The BBC needs governance. OFCOM is an excellent regulator, but it is entirely unsuited to provide governance.
                And, as I understand it, it has always shown a reluctance to take it on. As yet this doesn't seem to be hard news. I can only see that someone has said that it will be included as a proposal in the Green Paper.

Comment

Working...
                X