X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • James Wonnacott
    • Nov 2010

Oh no, it's Chatterday again

The only day I get to properly listen to the wireless and all we get is chatter, chatter, chatter, beginning with this chattering woman who can't stop saying "now" before each piece of music.
    Oh well, at least we now have Sounds so I can listen to TTN.
    I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

Glad you like TTN . Thanks to Sounds we can have it TTDay.

I've long given up on weekends in R3. For some reason they think it's 'lowbrow' time. Is it some kind of class-prejudice? Are they thinking that 'uneducated' 'working-class' people who they think don't or can't listen to a whole piece of clssical music, don't listen during the week because they're too busy sweeping the streets or stoking hospital boilers? So weekends are the time to catch them . Or do they think 'intellectuals' don't listen at the weekend because we're out huntin, shootin and fishin?

Comment

• James Wonnacott
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      I've long given up on weekends in R3. For some reason they think it's 'lowbrow' time. Is it some kind of class-prejudice? Are they thinking that 'uneducated' 'working-class' people who they think don't or can't listen to a whole piece of clssical music, don't listen during the week because they're too busy sweeping the streets or stoking hospital boilers? So weekends are the time to catch them . Or do they think 'intellectuals' don't listen at the weekend because we're out huntin, shootin and fishin?
      Not sure hospital boilers need stoking these days and most of the huntin, fishin and shootin brigade I've met aren't exactly 'intellectuals"!

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by James Wonnacott View Post
        The only day I get to properly listen to the wireless and all we get is chatter, chatter, chatter, beginning with this chattering woman who can't stop saying "now" before each piece of music.
        Saturdays have long been a no-go for me except if the Inside Music slot sounds worth a punt and I'm around at the right time, as I'm not an opera person so the evening isn't a draw, and for some reason(I'm still not quite sure what) BAL no longer interests. I'm not an Elizabeth Alker fan and am not that gripped by her choice of music.The radio goes on first thing out of habit and also because sometimes I need distraction(even if negative!) if I've had a bad night, but it's not that often these days my ear is caught by something that I stop and listen to properly. Rather different from the weekday situation.
        Sundays however are a different matter, although what happens when Martin Handley goes I don't know; I suspect the opportunity will be taken to "refresh" the slot, which is likely to be a case of "another one bites the dust", and listening will be mostly confined to post midday - the 9-12 slot is a listen if I'm around but not fussed to miss it.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by James Wonnacott View Post
          You know the old saying - 'talk is cheap'. Perhaps the surge in chat has something to do with needle time limits?

Comment

• James Wonnacott
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Perhaps the surge in chat has something to do with needle time limits?
            Absolutely.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

You know the old saying - 'talk is cheap'. Perhaps the surge in chat has something to do with needle time limits?
              Which would be sad - but unfortunately understandable these days. What is not forgiveable is the low level of 'chat' on the inform/educate/entertain spectrum.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

…and as the Tremeloes sang - ‘people follow like sheep even there is nowhere to go’

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

…and as the Tremeloes sang - ‘people follow like sheep even there is nowhere to go’
                  Baaaaa humbug!

Comment

Working...
                  X