X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Composer and bandleader Laurie Johnson dies at 96

Given the familiarity of his iconic themes for TV shows and, especially, the famous thrillers of the 1960s and 1970s, I thought Laurie's passing belonged here rather than in the Jazz forum.

The veteran composer, who was 96, provided some of Britain's best loved TV themes and film music.

LJ's career deserves a properly researched item rather than my of the moment recognition here - he goes back further than the Britified adaptations of "Shaft"-type musical theme stylings he might be best remembered for, and there are possibly others rather than me here who can boast to one or two of his few big band recordings, such as "Synthesis", recorded with a big band featuring Joe Harriott, Tony Coe, Tubby Hayes, Kenny Wheeler and Stan Tracey in 1970, showing him to be rather more than just a memorable tune smith with a gift for a good hook:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Apologies that the second link doesn't work, for some reason. If anyone can fix it I'd be most grateful - it's a great track.

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

My own favourite work of his is 'Synthesis' which is effectively a five-movement symphony for jazz band and symphony orchestra. Indeed, I understand he later changed the title to 'Symphony'. It dates from the late '60s and he recorded it for EMI with the LPO and a fine line-up of British jazzmen of the day. There's quite a bit of RVW in it, but it hangs together better than one might expect for such a hybrid work, and I was pleased when the Gramophone said 'I am inclined to regard this as a kind of masterpiece'. The original Columbia LP was reissued on CD in 1998 by Redial Polygram as part of a collection called 'The Musical Worlds of Laurie Johnson'. It's on YouTube in separate bits.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
        My own favourite work of his is 'Synthesis' which is effectively a five-movement symphony for jazz band and symphony orchestra. Indeed, I understand he later changed the title to 'Symphony'. It dates from the late '60s and he recorded it for EMI with the LPO and a fine line-up of British jazzmen of the day. There's quite a bit of RVW in it, but it hangs together better than one might expect for such a hybrid work, and I was pleased when the Gramophone said 'I am inclined to regard this as a kind of masterpiece'. The original Columbia LP was reissued on CD in 1998 by Redial Polygram as part of a collection called 'The Musical Worlds of Laurie Johnson'. It's on YouTube in separate bits.
        My second link was to the opening of that very work.

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

Yes, indeed, I should have looked at your link before posting, but, as Admiral Stark said when asked why he had not warned Admiral Kimmel that the Japanese fleet was approachign Hawaii , 'It did not occur to me to do so'.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Apologies that the second link doesn't work, for some reason. If anyone can fix it I'd be most grateful - it's a great track.
            It says the video 'isn't available any more' so nuttin' to be done, I'm afraid.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

It says the video 'isn't available any more' so nuttin' to be done, I'm afraid.
              It certainly was available when I looked the album title up, so looks like another case of the link being proscribed between finding it and trying to link to it. But hey-ho, not to worry, as the topic hasn't aroused a great deal of interest!

Comment

Working...
              X