X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    you would have probably found it impossible not to sound ironic by addressing him as 'Sir Harry'.
    Yes, the heavy overemphasis on the "sir" would probably have given the game away.

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Probably as deserving as many of those puppets on other person's strings. Mind you the whole honours thing should be scrapped.
      Well said that man!

Yes, I know my 'nom de plume' C.V. Stanford had a knighthood but that's not to say I like it! Those duly honoured still p*sse and f*rt like anyone else!

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Besides, would the Queen get a word in edgeways in a twofer with McGregor? "It is a lovely sword, isn't it? But how do you think it compares with some of the older swords - perhaps a little too much braiding on the hilt? And it doesn't come with texts or translations, does it? Better than Karajan's though."
        !!!

That said, she might at least do so at the beginning of such an interview by asking "and what you YOU do?" (see the Times cartoon on the Grenfell Tower thread)...

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
          All these Sirs and Dames and Orders of the British goddamned Empire are yet another example of how our culture tells us to perpetuate the values attached to certain "achievements" and not others.
          Not least because that "Empire" does not even exist!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            Not least because that "Empire" does not even exist!
            Neither does "Wessex", yet there is, apparently, an Earl thereof!

Infantile, the whole business, I tell 'ee ... infantile!
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Neither does "Wessex", yet there is, apparently, an Earl thereof!
              'Course there's a Wessex - it's where them as looks after the water round here is in charge.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                'Course there's a Wessex - it's where them as looks after the water round here is in charge.

I'll wager it's not British owned!

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

I'll wager it's not British owned!
                  Indeed it isn't; its website proudly confirms "since May 2002 we have been owned by YTL Power International of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia"

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Indeed it isn't; its website proudly confirms "since May 2002 we have been owned by YTL Power International of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia"
                    Well, they do their job very well, which isn't something you can say about a lot of the 'utilities'. We get a regular magazine explaining what they are doing, and they are especially good on the environment.

NB I don't have shares in the company which doesn't supply our water - that's Bristol Water. Personally, I wouldn't drink anything else.

Oh, back on topic: give that man a knighthood
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      We get a regular magazine explaining what they are doing...
                      ... which self-advertising is paid for by whom?

(... yourself, I imagine. Happy with this use of your money?? )

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        ... which self-advertising is paid for by whom?

(... yourself, I imagine. Happy with this use of your money?? )
                        Yes. It's interesting to read and they are obliged to circulate the information by Ofwat.

Sorry, we can't find what you are looking for right now. We've recently made some changes to our website so the page may have been moved or no longer exists.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                          • Aug 2015

When I was in Water Directorate I had my worst ever report and it contained one section that was my best ever section. A different boss for that section and it was about my role in honours to the water industry which, being a highly organized gentleman so far as paperwork was concerned, he regarded highly, especially organizationally. For this reason, I can't oppose them but I also can't take them seriously as the cat and mouse approaches to secretaries - is he still there? is there anything we should know? is he still alive? - was mostly of comic value, especially to other people in the office aware of the showy diplomacy. I did briefly look at the list to grind my teeth at known undeserving servants as I always do but it was John Timpson who stood out. Very deserving I am sure but It was disappointing to me that it wasn't the fine broadcaster who had been awarded posthumously.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Is it me, and maybe something I don't know about international trading and finance, but I find it rather worrying going forward to Brexit negotiations, knowing that the UK does not own many companies, and particularly utilities on which our existence relies on. Even more so that many are European owned.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Is it me, and maybe something I don't know about international trading and finance, but I find it rather worrying going forward to Brexit negotiations, knowing that the UK does not own many companies, and particularly utilities on which our existence relies on. Even more so that many are European owned.
                              ... it is true that a lot of our stuff is 'owned' by foreigners. But equally - much of UK investment is overseas - so we 'own' lots of their stuff.

No, I don't understand it. All I know is that when the pound collapses my investments prosper. No, I don't think this is a Good Thing...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

I wouldn't imagine that privately-owned utility companies who wish to take money from UK customers will notice that Brexit is happening. The problems are more likely to arise from companies in the UK wishing to continue selling to the EU.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X