X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
    Well for a start he's a friend of Roger Scruton!

I thought the earlier message stating the Screwtop had come by a Knighthood was some kind of a wind-up. After all, what had he ever done for anyone or anything, apart from publicity for Poundbury? Now I learn that he is a composer and friend of David Matthews, and demanding of further scrutony.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I thought the earlier message stating the Screwtop had come by a Knighthood was some kind of a wind-up. After all, what had he ever done for anyone or anything, apart from publicity for Poundbury? Now I learn that he is a composer and friend of David Matthews, and demanding of further scrutony.

"Professor Roger Vernon Screwball, Wiltshire: For services to Philosophy Teaching and Public Education" it says. Almost.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

"Professor Roger Vernon Screwball, Wiltshire: For services to Philosophy Teaching and Public Education" it says. Almost.
        still, wiltshire is QUITE a big county....is what I'm thinking....
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          You had two birthdays, Bbm? Happy Birthday-Birthday!
          Bloody Plantagenets!

Belated Happy B, BBM

On thread: I'm glad Stanley Wells has been recognised with a knighthood for his scholarship esp re. Shakespeare.
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

In fairness I have to report here that this morning I heard part of an eminently sensible Point of View detailing the benefits of urban terraced housing, which achieves a density superior to that of tower blocks, besides being conducive to good public transport and to developing centres of community activity. Fairly obvious stuff maybe, but not universally recognised even now.

Turned out to be by Roger Scruton.

He may not have anything interesting to say about anything else, but as far as urban planning is concerned, I can't fault him.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post

He may not have anything interesting to say about anything else, but as far as urban planning is concerned, I can't fault him.
              a stopped clock?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Bloody Plantagenets!

Belated Happy B, BBM

Thank you, Cali! Ofcourse we all know that it's The Plantagenets we all have to thank for!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

In fairness I have to report here that this morning I heard part of an eminently sensible Point of View detailing the benefits of urban terraced housing, which achieves a density superior to that of tower blocks, besides being conducive to good public transport and to developing centres of community activity. Fairly obvious stuff maybe, but not universally recognised even now.

Turned out to be by Roger Scruton.

What Scruton said that about terraced housing was pretty much accepted wisdom by the 1980s, even if high-rise advocates are enjoying something of a comeback right now (good subject for a eparate thread?); but he also said a lot of other questionable, albeit expected things, too.

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    What Scruton said that about terraced housing was pretty much accepted wisdom by the 1980s...
                    But forgotten again not so long afterwards.

Remember the infamous HMRI? We are still trying to pick up the pieces after that.

I didn't hear the beginning of the talk; what did he say that was questionable?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

But forgotten again not so long afterwards.

Remember the infamous HMRI? We are still trying to pick up the pieces after that.

I didn't hear the beginning of the talk; what did he say that was questionable?
                      It's just taken me more than 20 minutes noting down some of his comments, leaving me feeling my precious life slipping away in giving time to this platitudinous twit, so if you'll forgive me jean, I refer you to the link you provided in your earlier message.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

I assume no Dame Ida Haendel ?

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                          Comrade Tipps will be happy to know that RS favours exit from the EU.
                          Well, you clearly have more in common with Sir Roger than you might care to admit, Lord Barrett ... ?

I don't demand that someone agrees with me on all things before I admire and respect them.

I rather like generally-despised mavericks. In my experience they are much more interesting to listen to than, say, boring old party-liners.

Of course, like Sir Roger on the EU. they can be as hopelessly wrong as any boring old party-liner!

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                            The dead sheep effect?

(Frederic Rzewski could write a piece ? les moutons morts de l'angleterre)
                            But he hasn't (yet, at least); while we wait to see whether or not he does so, do you suppose that these creatures graze on the fields belonging to The Stately Homes of England? (a song in which one might imagine Coward having added a further verse about their owners going bust and turning them over to the National Trust)...
                            Last edited by ahinton; 13-06-16, 10:31.

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                              I don't demand that someone agrees with me on all things before I admire and respect them.
                              Fair enough; nor indeed should you.

I rather like generally-despised mavericks. In my experience they are much more interesting to listen to than, say, boring old party-liners.
                              I initially read that as "panty-liners" but soon got the gist...

Of course, like Sir Roger on the EU. they can be as hopelessly wrong as any boring old party-liner!
                              Like a lot of people who attract public attention of one kind or another for work of one kind or another, he doesn't shrink from telling people which side he's on over this issue and, even if only by implication, from telling people how they should vote on it.

I will refrain from comment about the music of Roger Scruton (no, not SIR Roger Scruton, since I'm unaware that he's written any since receiving his knighthood), other to say two things; the first consits of the words "day" and "job" in that order and the second is that at least he's made attempts at doing what he quite frequently talks about, which is rather more than can be said for certain other commentators on music who are not professional musicians.

What precisely is thought by anyone here (if that is the case, which it seems it might be) to be questionable about friendship with David Matthews - his or anyone else's? Isn't Mr Matthews supposed to have friends, or would some here prefer that he didn't? There does appear to be a small contingent that has it in for David Matthews. It is quite unclear why; it surely can't be just because some people don't happen to care for his music? Anyway, no Birthday Honours for him, is seems...
                              Last edited by ahinton; 13-06-16, 10:29.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                                • Jan 2016

I rather like generally-despised mavericks.
                                Heretofore to be known as Trumpophilia.

What is it in fact you admire about this Scruton character?

Comment

Working...
                                X