Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    There are so many notable musicians that should be honoured really, I just cant understand why they are not?
    Though it does seem that almost every eminent conductor over the last century or so has been knighted.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      There are so many notable musicians that should be honoured really, I just cant understand why they are not?
      ... ah BBM. we do not have the time and space here to go into the invidiousness of the so-called "Honours" system, nor yet its essential absurdity. Richard Barrett will be able to expound more lucidly than I can the total silliness of the entire system. The best people refuse such honours : the really best don't even let on that they have refused such ridiculous gewgaws....

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... ah BBM. we do not have the time and space here to go into the invidiousness of the so-called "Honours" system, nor yet its essential absurdity. Richard Barrett will be able to expound more lucidly than I can the total silliness of the entire system. The best people refuse such honours : the really best don't even let on that they have refused such ridiculous gewgaws....
        Very well said, IMHO, vints

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

i think the 'honours' went with the job in the past.The conductor ofthe BBCSO and other top posts had to have the supposed gravitas that goes with a knighthood.

Someone mentioned earlier that there was nothing for Ida. If they mean Ida Haendel I thought she had something or other some years ago. She's certainly one of the greats IMHO.

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
            Ida Haendel
            CBE in 1991

if one has the time to trawl through the whole list, several awards are music-related, perhaps not to 'famous' musicians but various administrators or people involved in community music making

I'm always on the lookout for people whose surnames mirror their professions
            Mr Sergeant the policeman etc. etc.
            Last edited by mercia; 15-06-13, 14:11.

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
              Someone mentioned earlier that there was nothing for Ida. If they mean Ida Haendel I thought she had something or other some years ago. She's certainly one of the greats IMHO.
              Ida Haendel possess's genius. A much rarer commodity than a nod from some committee. ( realistically, I reckon the outspoken Ida has upset too many mandarins to get much support).

Comment

• amateur51

Abolish the whole nauseating elitist bangshoot and go for a system of National British and British Local Treasures

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post

I'm always on the lookout for people whose surnames mirror their professions
                  Mr Sergeant the policeman etc. etc.

ah yes -

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Oi! Oi! He would be top of my '6 degrees of separation' list. We were once both candidates in the same election. I beat him (though I didn't win either )
                    Did he, or did he not, have a Cunning Plan?
                    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

was this a birthday honour ?

is it really "the UK's only full-time professional chamber orchestra" ?

I wonder if Grayson P will be awarded at the palace, a wonderful opportunity to outdress everyone
                      Last edited by mercia; 16-06-13, 07:12.

Comment

• amateur51

I wonder if Grayson P will be awarded at the palace, a wonderful opportunity to outdress everyone
                        Oh yes please - should be Investiture of the Year

Comment

• Hornspieler
                          Late Member
                          • Sep 2012

I have always been against people being 'honoured' for being succesful in their chosen profession - whether they be jockeys (favoured by royalty), actors, singers (both pop and classical), conductors, financiers or writers.

To me, if we are to have an honours system, it should be confined to those who do something for their fellow citizens without any question of financial reward or for people who act with bravery at the risk to their personal safety.

Sir Thomas Beecham was a baronet by succession - not success (yes, get rid of that nonsense too)

Why should a conductor be knighted for waving a stick for a remuneration ten times that of the players in his orchestra?

Why should that conductor's wife acquire the title of 'Lady'? (Lady Beecham? She couldn't play a scale of C major!)

To scrap the whole system would be to deprive those who work selflessly on behalf of others of recognition; but the 'honours' awards have now become as farcical as the title 'The Honourable Mr .....' for the son of hereditary peer.

HS

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                            Did he, or did he not, have a Cunning Plan?
                            I suppose we both did. We were both undeniably and unforgivably ungracious in pledging not to make the routine speeches congratulating the winner
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              I suppose we both did. We were both undeniably and unforgivably ungracious in pledging not to make the routine speeches congratulating the winner
                              But I trust that you planned to thank the returning officer & the local rozzery

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                But I trust that you planned to thank the returning officer & the local rozzery
                                Well, getting back to the subject (no we didn't - that would have been rude to omit mention of the winner: we were simply churlish).

It would surprise me, but that means little. We have a professional chamber orchestra in Bristol, but I suppose the key words are 'full-time'.
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X