X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

The great Sir Bobby Charlton dies aged 86

Sad to see the death announced of the great Man U and England forward. A wonderful ambassador for football. RIP Sir Bobby.
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

....in the school play ground closing in towards the goal , tee it up, head down Bobby style... thump....Goal....Bobby Charlton, Bobby Charlton
    bong ching

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
      ....in the school play ground closing in towards the goal , tee it up, head down Bobby style... thump....Goal....Bobby Charlton, Bobby Charlton
      Reminds me of Brian Glover's great line from the football match in 'Kes', 8th: 'and it's the fair-haired slightly balding Charlton to kick off!'

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

....I know it is a different final third ground game now ,,,,but Bobby closed space, ran into space in a very direct way - hence his fanastic shots....the number of times you see space in front of modern players just longing for someone to close it ....yep Brian Glover Brilliant.....At school if more than one person wanted to be Bobby....we used to utilise Chobby Barton...
        bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

....I know it is a different final third ground game now ,,,,but Bobby closed space, ran into space in a very direct way - hence his fanastic shots....the number of times you see space in front of modern players just longing for someone to close it ....yep Brian Glover Brilliant.....At school if more than one person wanted to be Bobby....we used to utilise Chobby Barton...
          The other thing is, goal posts used to be proper soccer goal posts with the net slanting back at an angle, not suspended vertically like those back-tethered hockey posts used today which must surely affect the trajectory of a netted ball, as well as its possibly being ejected out from the goal mouth without touching the ground - more likely to with the new types I would have thought? Destroyed my faith in footy completely.

Comment

• smittims
            • Aug 2022

I've never been interested in football (though I don't mock it; I do understand its appeal), but I did once meet Bobby Charlton, when he came in the shop where I worked to buy a clarinet for his daughter Suzanne, who also of course became well-known in her own field. I was pleased to find him a straightforward unaffected man without that grandeur some 'living legends' feel they have to assume. I hope he had a gentle passing.

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

wonderful 8o ……..

A wonderful ambassador for football, Manchester United, England and most importantly the North East …….

Comment

• gradus
                • Nov 2010

I saw him play a couple of times and thought him better than anyone else at that time, in motion he was unmistakeable, elegant and effortless with a tremendously powerful kick. Truly great. RIP.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

I saw him once only and can't resist reminiscing: A momentous day for Palace in Aug 1969, being our first-ever game in the top Division. A classic Man U line-up included Charlton, Best, Law etc. Terrace standing allowed a 48,000 attendance at Selhurst. A commendable 2-2 draw in which Charlton scored.
                  ​​​​​

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    I saw him once only and can't resist reminiscing: A momentous day for Palace in Aug 1969, being our first-ever game in the top Division. A classic Man U line-up included Charlton, Best, Law etc. Terrace standing allowed a 48,000 attendance at Selhurst. A commendable 2-2 draw in which Charlton scored.
                    ​​​​​
                    ....imagine what have been like with lightweight kit, balls and the green green grass of today....

....I guess Kevin de Bruyne is his like; playing wise....
                    bong ching

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                      ​​​​​
                      I too saw him once. FA cup, Jan 1972 with Best and Law also playing. He scored the United goal, in a draw.. Special day, special player..
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

I saw Bobby Charlton a couple of times playing for England at Hampden. Unfortunately he scored the winner, I seem to recall, in the home international in '66. 3-4 the final score - Wee Jinky Johnstone scored a couple in the defeat. I saw him again a couple of years later playing for his national team in a one-each draw. Enormous crowds back then, I remember.

Comment

• Padraig
                          • Feb 2013

That's exactly right,eighth. The same kind of schoolboy enthusiasm I felt for Stanley Matthews!

Comment

Working...
                          X