X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Two things: the BBC's use of the word 'rebel' is most unlikely to be because 'reporters are not necessarily bright nor perceptive'. The BBC holds regular meetings to decide what terminology should be used ('insurgents' v 'terrorists' in the Middle East was one such example) in news reports. The National Transitional Council has still not been recognised by the majority of the UN members and that may explain why 'rebel' is still being used. It's also clear that the fighters themselves are not yet a united force, and it's not yet clear who or what they all represent.

Secondly, events move on. The hope is that the NTC will develop into a party of government which has the support of the majority of Libyans, that humanitarian aid will be offered quickly and any help requested for restructuring also given by other countries. These are the important issues.

Does anyone remember reading that Mahmoud Jibril said something to the effect that he should himself stand trial as a long-time member of Gaddafi's government - or did I dream that?

Edit: Or was it Jalil? - I keep getting the two names mixed up . Or neither of them?
    Last edited by french frank; 27-08-11, 10:42. Reason: Afterthought
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Rebels... hmmm. The leaders of the insurrection speak with wisdom and good sense, and this must provide hope worldwide. Many sympathetic to the Republican's cause during the Spanish Civil War flocked there to help out the "rebels". Many understood the "permanent revolution" dynamic to events of that time; i.e. that with fascism on the rise, the SCW would be a defining historical moment, transcendent of race, religion or nationality. And, as part of a bigger picture, so it turned out to be. I am reminded of that in seeing the numbers of Libyan ex-pats actively over there engaged in the struggle to topple Gaddafi and his remnants.

What remains unclear is the key ideological driver behind the revolution - whereas it did appear clearer in the case of Egypt: an open democratic state non-discriminating between religious groups and none. The "liberal" in me - small "l" - joins in with those who say we should stay out and leave the Lybians uninterfered to determine their own country's future - arguing that revolutionaries should themselves calculate the costs in terms of advantage and human life before launching a bid for power - Lenin was hot on this in October 1917 - while the "radical" in me says, which forces are to the forefront in the pace for change? And why are Western governments, especially the ConDems, so keen to see them succeed?

S-A

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Simon View Post
        Oh come on, ff. Don't be shy. It's a straightforward enough question - an a] or a b] will do..

So, was it

a] the morally right thing to do to intervene in Libya to protect those men, women and children whom Gaddi had sworn to "exterminate" for opposing him, or

b] should we have just let him get on with it on the grounds that it wasn't our problem.

Edit: in fact, why limit this to ff? A quick poll would be good. So come on, everbody, let's have your views. a] or b]. I'm not afraid to give mine - a] every time.
        Ever the simplistic choice, Simon

According to Wyre Davies for the BBC and several other journos, there has been awful slaughter in spite of NATO's best efforts

The gruesome scene at the Abu Salim hospital in Tripoli serves as a reminder of what Libya and its people have to overcome as they seek to finally defeat Col Gaddafi, says the BBC's Wyre Davies.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Ever the simplistic choice, Simon

According to Wyre Davies for the BBC and several other journos, there has been awful slaughter in spite of NATO's best efforts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14689347
          This is the dilemma, see - to intervene or not? On what grounds? With whose encouragement? And at whose behest?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            This is the dilemma, see - to intervene or not? On what grounds? With whose encouragement? And at whose behest?

Agreed S_A - UN & NATO should have persuaded the African Union to play a more useful and committed role as a peace broker and protector of civilians. Unfortunately they are distrustful of any organisations in which USA, UK and France are heavily involved, for understandable reasons, but there again, they could have held these nations more to account for a change. As always, it's time for the men in suits to get off their bums and do something positive for a change

Cometh the hour, cometh the ....?

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Agreed S_A - UN & NATO should have persuaded the African Union to play a more useful and committed role

Hmm - if you look at the members - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Union#Members - you'll see a few who wouldn't be too keen on giving any support to popular uprisings against bloody dictators, & who might now be a little bit worried about their grip on power.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves
                Well, how about the freedom to live without the fear of being arrested, maimed, tortured or disappearing without trace? Or are those reasons not valid because there is no left-wing angle on which to preach?
                How about "The freedom to live without fear of being oppressed by a government(dictator) armed by european and american governments".

Time to wake up...its OUR leaders, banks and arms industries that are deeply complicit in this and many other awful regimes round the world.

How soon before we are arming new rebels fighting against a new oppressive regime in Libya. Lets just hope its a long time.

THe desire for peace, and a world run for the needs of the people and not for the needs of certain industries and their political cronies is not a left or right wing thing.

its the happening thing.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• amateur51

Well, clearly no point looking in your direction.

I don't really understand where you are coming from. You make a very valid comment in that the African Union should have been encouraged to play a more useful role but then destroy that comment by jumping on the old band-wagon again of 'distrust the West, David Cameron is an opportunist, it was all Thatcher's fault' like some worn-out record stuck in a groove. Why? Why this constant harping on?

Do you not realise that comments can stand by themselves without these constant little childish sniping asides by you and others?
                  Oh dear, BTS you've got your irony filter on again.

Cameron is an opportunist - only Sarko & Cameron went gungho into Libya, the rest of NATO, even USA, was decidely cool about the whole thing. And once again we find ourselves embroiled in an unnecessary war, playing World SuperCop without an exit strategy

Meanwhile, at home, the Notting Hill Carnival is about to take place and the Met is holding its breath for lack of resources. And Cameron is on a win-win bet - if it kicks off, he can do a U-turn on police cuts; if it doesn't he was right to bully the courts into filling our prisons to overflowing

And where's Cameron? On his fifth holiday this year

And it's a bit rich calling me childish given your track record for running to teacher to get the other kids into trouble, innit

Comment

• amateur51

Well, how about the freedom to live without the fear of being arrested, maimed, tortured or disappearing without trace? Or are those reasons not valid because there is no left-wing angle on which to preach?
                    Poor love - soooo 20th century - it's a coalition now love - that's what the people voted for!!

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

It is not just European and American governments. How many more times do I have to say this? What about the Russians? The Chinese? They are not exactly squeaky clean. Or how about Saudi Arabia? Or Iran? Or half the countries in Africa arguing about national boundaries? I am not saying that the European and American governments etc are without blame. Just that I can't see why they are always singled out.
                      Well for a start, by any economic measure, they are easily the biggest and most powerful.

Secondly,we have to start somewhere.

But if, for example, we stop all arms sales to africa, we should negotiate with the chinese(etc) to do the same.We have plenty of negotiating tools if we have the will.

And it is the will that is missing..........
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• amateur51

It is not just European and American governments. How many more times do I have to say this? What about the Russians? The Chinese? They are not exactly squeaky clean. Or how about Saudi Arabia? Or Iran? Or half the countries in Africa arguing about national boundaries? I am not saying that the European and American governments etc are without blame. Just that I can't see why they are always singled out.
                        Because they're supposed to share our civilised democratic values, BTS. Unfortunately they do share our grasping exploitative values and they ain't pretty, so some of us with a conscience, who want a better world, call them for it!

Simples

Comment

• amateur51

Same old..same old...same old...record...stuck..groove. Round..and..round. Round..and ...round. I almost feel the urge to use an emoticon.
                          Don't be too hard on yourself, BTS. One day you'll get a go at Debating 101 and you too will be able to construct an argument instead of hurling patties of abuse

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Oh dear, BTS you've got your irony filter on again.

Cameron is an opportunist - only Sarko & Cameron went gungho into Libya, the rest of NATO, even USA, was decidely cool about the whole thing. And once again we find ourselves embroiled in an unnecessary war, playing World SuperCop without an exit strategy

Meanwhile, at home, the Notting Hill Carnival is about to take place and the Met is holding its breath for lack of resources. And Cameron is on a win-win bet - if it kicks off, he can do a U-turn on police cuts; if it doesn't he was right to bully the courts into filling our prisons to overflowing

And where's Cameron? On his fifth holiday this year

And it's a bit rich calling me childish given your track record for running to teacher to get the other kids into trouble, innit
                            excellent points.. and just to add, IMO, blair and his lot, and of ourse the lib dems, are just as bad.

Problem.....reaction ....solution.
                            You see it everywhere..they love a problem....gives them a reason to use the big stick.

Comment

• Mahlerei

Trouble is the African Union - like its predecessor, the OAU - has its own divisions and allegiances. Witness South Africa's reluctance to recognise the NTC. The same problem applies in Zimbabwe, where misplaced loyalties prevent fellow states from criticising Mugabe's vile regime.

If altruism is at the heart of Davey & Co's intervention in Libya then why is it selectively applied? Can we expect Nato jets over Damascus any time soon? Or battleships off the coast of Burma?
                              Last edited by Guest; 28-08-11, 11:08.

Comment

• amateur51

Can anyone remember what the Commonwealth is meant to do?

Comment

Working...
                                X