X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Message to the Education Minister

Classical music education needs to be properly funded so children come to it by choice, rather than being force-fed. Surely the education secretary can help?
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Tony Pappano said some interesting things about young people and music at the RPO awards last week.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Someone sent me the Nicola Benedetti article yesterday and I did feel myself twitching quite a bit. I feel sometimes people try too hard, too obviously, starting from the back foot. I have more sympathy with the stars who don't feel that it's necessary to integrate classical music, very cautiously, with popular music. I don't see how that helps at all.

[Quite liked the metaphor of classical music as the Brussels sprout]

And I assume that by 'classical music' we're meaning 'the core repertoire'? Why not, for once?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Someone sent me the Nicola Benedetti article yesterday and I did feel myself twitching quite a bit.
        I think that what she REALLY said might be a bit more nuanced?

There is an interesting debate to be had about music as a thinking subject rather than a recreational one BUT we aren't going to get that now. The most we can hope for is damage limitation i'm afraid

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          I think that what she REALLY said might be a bit more nuanced?

There is an interesting debate to be had about music as a thinking subject rather than a recreational one BUT we aren't going to get that now. The most we can hope for is damage limitation i'm afraid
          I've just written words of appreciation, on the David Matthews thread, for the era through which we were lucky to have been educated in the widest sense. The current rising generation will not be afforded our choices and "luxuries". Occasionally I play a cassette I recorded off Radio 3 about 25 years ago of an interview by Ian Carr of the Afro-American jazz drummer Max Roach, then talking about the cuts then underway in American arts education in US inner cities. What Max talked about was a previous, in some ways more enlightened policy towards musically educating black school kids that meant schools provided children of all income levels with musical instruments at which they could become proficient. It was in this way that players of the Charlie Parker/Dizzy Gillespie 1940s era became technically proficient and able, on confronting the then exclusionary racist employment policies towards black players outside the racially divided Swing big band environment, to envision the new form, confronting the idea of white cultural suremacy, of Bebop, and put it into practice. Roach saw parallels in the then still comparatively new form of hip hop, of which he expressed support. This was pre Gangsta Rap of course.

There's a Max Roach Park in Brixton, for those who didn't know.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Someone sent me the Nicola Benedetti article yesterday and I did feel myself twitching quite a bit. I feel sometimes people try too hard, too obviously, starting from the back foot. I have more sympathy with the stars who don't feel that it's necessary to integrate classical music, very cautiously, with popular music. I don't see how that helps at all.

[Quite liked the metaphor of classical music as the Brussels sprout]

And I assume that by 'classical music' we're meaning 'the core repertoire'? Why not, for once?
            From what I have seen of Nicola Benedetti I think you has a very positive approach and I see nothing wrong with an integral approach - I had the great advantage of growing up in a house where a lot of classical music was played and developed an interest in a wide range of other genres. There is no reason why a love of classical music cannot grow from other genres.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              From what I have seen of Nicola Benedetti I think you has a very positive approach and I see nothing wrong with an integral approach - I had the great advantage of growing up in a house where a lot of classical music was played and developed an interest in a wide range of other genres. There is no reason why a love of classical music cannot grow from other genres.
              The key lies in the fact that you speak of 'a lot of classical music': my gripe is where a tiny bit is included, as a 'token', in a rock concert. Or that it's just (as Jules Buckley once said) 'messed about with' (or as with the televised Urban Classic Prom, cut out of the broadcast because it was on BBC Three and young people would be watching).

But NB's contention that parents should give their children classical music 'whether they like it or not' seems futile: not only will the parents not have a clue about classical music, neither will most grandparents nowadays.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                • Nov 2010

But NB's contention that parents should give their children classical music 'whether they like it or not' seems futile: not only will the parents not have a clue about classical music, neither will most grandparents nowadays.
                That is horribly true, which is why schools should do it - if they can find teachers who know anything. Learning about some great composers would be a start. Music education doesn't have to be about learning an instrument, though ideally that should happen as well. I think it is very insulting to children and 'young people' to assume they won't enjoy it.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                  That is horribly true, which is why schools should do it - if they can find teachers who know anything.
                  Indeed - there's the rub.

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                  Music education doesn't have to be about learning an instrument, though ideally that should happen as well. I think it is very insulting to children and 'young people' to assume they won't enjoy it.
                  Yes, learning an instrument is the most expensive end of the spectrum - providing instruments and qualified teachers, as well as time for lessons. No wonder it doesn't happen in many places.

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

if British music education is 'not what it was' should I expect there to be a drop in numbers of applications to music colleges or to study music at university ? are orchestras and choirs finding it difficult to recruit ? do classical music events find it hard to sell tickets ? do competitions like choir of the year (or whatever its called) get fewer entrants ?

these would be the obvious 'knock-on effects' wouldn't they ?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                      if British music education is 'not what it was' should I expect there to be a drop in numbers of applications to music colleges or to study music at university ? are orchestras and choirs finding it difficult to recruit ? do classical music events find it hard to sell tickets ? do competitions like choir of the year (or whatever its called) get fewer entrants ?

these would be the obvious 'knock-on effects' wouldn't they ?
                      Depends on what you think education is for

Comment

• mercia
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        Depends on what you think education is for
                        erm, true I guess. If those examples I listed are not the obvious consequences of a (perceived) deterioration in music education, I just need to be pointed to what are (...... the obvious, palpable, discernible, measurable, * , consequences of a (perceived) deterioration in music education).

*insert words of your choice

I'm just trying to think of more examples. Are there fewer budding composers than there used to be ? (not sure how one would measure that - number of entrants to composer competitions I suppose)
                        Last edited by mercia; 21-05-15, 07:43.

Comment

• ardcarp
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Did anyone see this?

The restoration of Gaza's only grand piano and its celebratory playing by young musicians.

It was ostensibly about 'saving' a concert grand in Gaza, but was really about the difficulty...indeed danger... of making music and teaching it to kids because of religious and political dogma.

Comment

Working...
                          X