Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

A new article on current developments: http://www.theguardian.com/education...rument-tuition

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
      A new article on current developments: http://www.theguardian.com/education...rument-tuition
      This subject is very close to my heart. I was a union rep within a music service until I retired. We were on teachers' pay and conditions and wanted to keep that at all costs. To some extent we succeeded, but that was by agreeing to reducing from full-time to 90% contracts. We continued to teach for the same number of hours each week, but we did not teach in every week of the school year. It was a blow, but at least the pension scheme was not affected, and the children continued to be taught.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
        • Jan 2014

Just switched on to James Rhodes on Radio4, saying he was sick of politicans making aspirational speeches (in this case about music education) and then doing nothing......
        And that Ofsted should inspect and grade all schools for music. Must "listen again" to this programme.
        Murray Lachlan Young and pianist James Rhodes combine audio and ideas in unexpected ways.

Flexagon Radio - a programme format I found easy to pass on in the 1st programme last week.
        A series which encourages guests to "think with the heart and feel with the intellect." In this second programme, Murray Lachlan Young invites concert pianist James Rhodes to combine his favourite sounds and his most passionately held ideas in unexpected ways, by feeding them into an electronic device called 'The Flexagon'.

My wife is a dedicated state primary school music teacher and achieves, by various means and with various helpers and perpipatetic teachers, a remarkable range and standard of music. But she despairs of the prospects for most children in most schools in the state sector - now, and even more in the future.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post

My wife is a dedicated state primary school music teacher and achieves, by various means and with various helpers and perpipatetic teachers, a remarkable range and standard of music. But she despairs of the prospects for most children in most schools in the state sector - now, and even more in the future.
          The education system needs to encourage people like her (Mrs CS). Constant sniping and reductions in resources (and pay) will have the opposite effect.

Comment

Working...
          X