X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    There is a drinking culture amongst many musicians. Are they drowning their sorrows, trying to scrape a living on perilously low pay, or are they just overgrown music students?
    Stusic Mudents?

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I have two questions about the 'orchestra in residence in a school' situation, which I think sounds brilliant.

1. Are not German schoolkids, from however 'poor' an area, generally more respectful of authority and teachers?
      2. Do German schools have to go through he ludicrous procedure of CRB-checking everyone, including the caretaker's cat?

So could it happen over here?

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post

1. Are not German schoolkids, from however 'poor' an area, generally more respectful of authority and teachers?
        If they are (and I have no idea?) then hanging around with musicians would seen to be a good way to challenge unquestioning"respect"

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

2. Do German schools have to go through he ludicrous procedure of CRB-checking everyone, including the caretaker's cat?
          It isn't needing a CRB certificate that brings the system into disrepute. It's the ease of obtaining one that bothers me. You simply declare what they want to hear, and unless the issuer can prove otherwise, it goes through.

(Talking of cats, Mrs Norris was every bit as evil as Filtch.)

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

There is a drinking culture amongst many musicians. Are they drowning their sorrows, trying to scrape a living on perilously low pay, or are they just overgrown music students?
            I thought that was just the brass players? (perhaps bbm would know - it might expalin a few things )

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

There is an argument for a little more 'unquestioning respect' for teachers. I'm in the slightly unusual position (for someone of my age) of having care of two teenage grandchildren, and it is plainly obvious that (in one of their schools at least) useful teaching (sorry Gongers, learning) does not happen for most of the time because of 'behaviour issues'. I can almost anticipate what you're going to say next (earning respect and all that stuff, which to some extent I agree with) but there are two points, 1. Many talented graduates just will not go into the classroom jungle as a career choice and 2. What a waste of public resources for many schoolkids to emerge functionally illiterate...if they don't have the support of a 'nice middle class family' at home.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

It isn't needing a CRB certificate that brings the system into disrepute. It's the ease of obtaining one that bothers me. You simply declare what they want to hear, and unless the issuer can prove otherwise, it goes through.
                Erm

The process checks whether you appear on the police computer database (and could be instant if it wasn't for the obsession with £) that's about it.
                I know a musician who has the same name and once lived in the same place as someone in prison for murder. Every time he has to apply for one (not so often these days now we have the new system) it triggers a whole pile of panic until they realise that he isn't the same man.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

There is an argument for a little more 'unquestioning respect' for teachers. I'm in the slightly unusual position (for someone of my age) of having care of two teenage grandchildren, and it is plainly obvious that (in one of their schools at least) useful teaching (sorry Gongers, learning) does not happen for most of the time because of 'behaviour issues'. I can almost anticipate what you're going to say next (earning respect and all that stuff, which to some extent I agree with) but there are two points, 1. Many talented graduates just will not go into the classroom jungle as a career choice and 2. What a waste of public resources for many schoolkids to emerge functionally illiterate...if they don't have the support of a 'nice middle class family' at home.
                  You are conflating too different things IMV

There is no place for 'unquestioning respect' of the kind we were subjected to in the past.
                  There is a place for people being polite and respectful of everyone. Creating a culture where people can teach and learn isn't about dominance.
                  This is what people learn from participating in music of all kinds. The creation, rehearsal and performance of music is a collaborative process that involves experts in different areas working together to create something greater NOT a load of drones being drilled by a puppet master.
                  The other thing that music can teach is that different organisational structures can be useful for different contexts, the way in which one rehearses an improvised performance will be different to (from?) a Mozart string quartet or large opera.
                  Last edited by MrGongGong; 05-05-15, 08:29.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    Erm

The process checks whether you appear on the police computer database (and could be instant if it wasn't for the obsession with £) that's about it.
                    I know a musician who has the same name and once lived in the same place as someone in prison for murder. Every time he has to apply for one (not so often these days now we have the new system) it triggers a whole pile of panic until they realise that he isn't the same man.
                    And of course you have to declare that the people you live in the same house as you wouldnt fail a DBS check...so be careful who lives at your address.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

There is no place for 'unquestioning respect' of the kind we were subjected to in the past.
                      It goes against the grain to encourage any kind of 'unquestioning' in children. But I don't think that 'we' did have 'unquestioning' respect. It's slightly different for children to be expected to start from a position of respect (and, after all, what decent teacher starts off being scornful/disdainful/contemptuous of children?). After that, you can say experience will influence mutual attitude.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        It goes against the grain to encourage any kind of 'unquestioning' in children. But I don't think that 'we' did have 'unquestioning' respect. It's slightly different for children to be expected to start from a position of respect (and, after all, what decent teacher starts off being scornful/disdainful/contemptuous of children?). After that, you can say experience will influence mutual attitude.
                        True on all counts. In the 1960s, we showed very little respect for many of our teachers.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

True on all counts. In the 1960s, we showed very little respect for many of our teachers.
                          I should have said "attempted unquestioning respect"
                          I had great respect for some but absolutely none whatsoever for others.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

I should have said "attempted unquestioning respect"
                            I had great respect for some but absolutely none whatsoever for others.
                            More or less what I said. But I might go further and say that 'children should start from a general position that they respect their teachers'. Should any individual teacher fall short, that is a separate matter.

But teachers have no chance at all if children's selfish prejudices take precedence. They aren't all clearsighted and wise beyond their years.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              But teachers have no chance at all if children's selfish prejudices take precedence. They aren't all clearsighted and wise beyond their years.
                              That's a bit 'Catholic' of you
                              There is NO original sin you know

What I see (and we aren't allowed to talk about politics ) is adults basing decisions on selfish prejudice and self interest and then as folks seeing this being applauded they naturally follow suit.

Maybe if people started from a position of mutual respect the world would be much more tolerant and a better place to live in.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

That's a bit 'Catholic' of you
                                There is NO original sin you know
                                By the time children arrive at school, they've learnt a great deal about unoriginal sin.

What I see (and we aren't allowed to talk about politics ) is adults basing decisions on selfish prejudice and self interest and then as folks seeing this being applauded they naturally follow suit.
                                But it's also based upon experience. Of course prejudice can be an issue too.

Maybe if people started from a position of mutual respect the world would be much more tolerant and a better place to live in.
                                A sound philosophy, though sometimes too much tolerance (by parents wanting their children to be their friends) can be the source of problems at school

Comment

Working...
                                X