• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

The Not-the-Proms Digression

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    I'm quite sure that we all know that! But that's a creditable perfomance tally indeed and I'm delighted for you!
    Do you want to split the cost of asking Richard to be my agent?
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
    On once again consulting my much-loved and utterly priceless copy of the Oxford English Dictionary, regarding the definition of 'noise', I note the following:

A sound, especially one that is loud or unpleasant or that causes disturbance:
    ( such as) ... making a noise like a pig.

There's your incontrovertible, definitive answer, Mr GongGong!
    Really?! If that's not selective quotation, I have no idea what might be! In the main part of my OED, the definition of "noise" occupies three entire columns, equivalent to an entire page, with a further 2+ columns in the supplementary volume; I'm not sure what edition of it that you have that makes it so "much-loved and utterly priceless" but, if the above is all that it gives as a definition of "noise", it sounds to me as though it could be a pocket one of abridged highlights from same...

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

OT diversion RE: Dictionaries

Here's a selection of words that have been taken out of the Oxford Junior Dictionary ...
      adder, beaver, boar, cygnet, doe, drake, heron, herring, kingfisher, lark,, lobster, magpie, minnow, mussel, newt, otter, oyster, plaice, raven, starling, stoat, stork, thrush, weasel, wren, acorn, ash, beech, blackberry, bloom, bluebell, bramble, brook, buttercup, carnation, catkin, chestnut, clover, conker, county, cowslip, dandelion, fern, fungus, gooseberry, gorse, hazel, hazelnut, heather, holly, horse chestnut, ivy, lavender, leek, minnow, mint, nectar, oats, pansy, pasture, poppy, primrose, sycamore, tulip, violet, walnut, willow.
      Here's the campaign to have them put back ...

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        Do you want to split the cost of asking Richard to be my agent?
        I must admit that the thought hadn't actually crossed my mind, but I can understand why you ask; much would presumably depend upon his willingness to take on that responsibility in addition to all his other commitments and, of course, how much he might charge if so!...

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

OT diversion RE: Dictionaries

Here's a selection of words that have been taken out of the Oxford Junior Dictionary ...
          adder, beaver, boar, cygnet, doe, drake, heron, herring, kingfisher, lark,, lobster, magpie, minnow, mussel, newt, otter, oyster, plaice, raven, starling, stoat, stork, thrush, weasel, wren, acorn, ash, beech, blackberry, bloom, bluebell, bramble, brook, buttercup, carnation, catkin, chestnut, clover, conker, county, cowslip, dandelion, fern, fungus, gooseberry, gorse, hazel, hazelnut, heather, holly, horse chestnut, ivy, lavender, leek, minnow, mint, nectar, oats, pansy, pasture, poppy, primrose, sycamore, tulip, violet, walnut, willow.
          Here's the campaign to have them put back ...
          http://www.naturemusicpoetry.com/campaigns.html
          I'm buzzing for repetition; you cite "minnow" twice! The venerable Nicholas Parsons will now award me a point. And what do points mean?...

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

I'm buzzing for repetition; you cite "minnow" twice! The venerable Nicholas Parsons will now award me a point. And what do points mean?...
            A brace of minnows ?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

I'm no longer allowed to drive.

Political Correctness gone stark raving!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

BUT listening strategies and skills have often been neglected in favour of "all join in" activities (not that there's anything wrong with joining in)
                I'll go with that as another way of expressing it
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  I'll go with that as another way of expressing it
                  Listening has never been addressed very well in music education, even in the time that so many folks are nostalgic about.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    ... Mr Tipps seems to labour under the delusion that the point of art is beauty.

I suggest he reconsiders his take on the works of Aeschylus, Shakespeare, Rembrandt, Goya, and Beethoven.
                    As Uncle Frank so succinctly put it, "'Beauty' is a French phonetic corruption for a short neck cloth ornament currently in resurgence."

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      I'm no longer allowed to drive.
                      What? Just one more point takes you off the road? I'd no idea that you'd already collected so many points on your licence, fhg!

Anyway, it seems that our resident Tippster's gone all coy all of a sudden about his OED definition of noise; one doesn't get points on one's licence for sounding one's horn too often and inappropriately, does one?...

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        As Uncle Frank so succinctly put it, "'Beauty' is a French phonetic corruption for a short neck cloth ornament currently in resurgence."
                        In a village not far from where I once lived, there was a restaurant called Beau Thai; unsurprisingly, it didn't last very long.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

In a village not far from where I once lived, there was a restaurant called Beau Thai; unsurprisingly, it didn't last very long.
                          Ooh! I'd've used it!

There's a local hairdresser called "Deb on Aire". Had I cause ...
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            Ooh! I'd've used it!

There's a local hairdresser called "Deb on Aire". Had I cause ...
                            We've come a long way from David Matthews' 8th symphony I mean the thread topic (still, some digressions are more diverting than others, I guess)...

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

not to mention Jane Hair in Heckmondwike

Comment

Working...
                              X