• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sydney Grew
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    . . . So no, I don't think it means: 'If we don't know anything for sure, we should shut up'.
    You are right; it "means" something much simpler and more straightforward. He was saying, "in the beginning was the Word", or, "that which cannot be expressed in words, cannot be spoken about." Language is all, in our little minds. Language is everything that can exist; our minds require language if they are to operate at all. Which, like most of jolly old Wittgle's Delphical pronouncements, is both blindingly obvious and gets us no further forward.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
      You are right; it "means" something much simpler and more straightforward. He was saying, "in the beginning was the Word", or, "that which cannot be expressed in words, cannot be spoken about." Language is all, in our little minds. Language is everything that can exist; our minds require language if they are to operate at all. Which, like most of jolly old Wittgle's Delphical pronouncements, is both blindingly obvious and gets us no further forward.
      Now my philosophy is a little rusty
      BUT I don't think one needs language to think and it isn't always required by the mind.
      Last edited by MrGongGong; 04-04-15, 10:37. Reason: but one does need an S on needs

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        BUT I don't think one need language to think and it isn't always required by the mind.
        I'm inclined to agree there. On a daily basis I speak both German (to my wife) and English (to everyone else). Is it not the case that any thought I might have (still happens occasionally) must take shape at some deep conceptual level and then find its surface expression as an utterance in either lanaguage, depending who I am addressing?

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

FF wrote
          "I don't think it means: 'If we don't know anything for sure, we should shut up'".
          to which SG responded
          It is this observation that "gets us no further forward, I fear! The point here is not about the powers or the shortcomings of verbal language at all, but the far simpler matter of asserting the wisdom of taking due care as to how one might utter comments that, in the absence of sufficient evidence, can for the time being be no more than speculative or partially speculative; in other words, comment by all means but, in so doing, ensure that due caveats are included in order to clarify that they are seen/heard to be made on the basis of what is known at the time. I therefore find it hard to perceive that there might be any realistic place for Wittgensteinian musings here...

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            I'm inclined to agree there. On a daily basis I speak both German (to my wife) and English (to everyone else). Is it not the case that any thought I might have (still happens occasionally) must take shape at some deep conceptual level and then find its surface expression as an utterance in either lanaguage, depending who I am addressing?
            I think Chomsky and others have tried to address this kind of issue. Also neuroscientists have found out quite a lot more.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
              • Apr 2007

BUT I don't think one need language to think and it isn't always required by the mind.
              I once asked a Swedish lady long married to a Brit whether she thought in English or Swedish. She rather startled me by saying she didn't think in words!

Still trying to work that one out...
              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                I once asked a Swedish lady long married to a Brit whether she thought in English or Swedish. She rather startled me by saying she didn't think in words!

Seems perfectly logical to me
                I don't either and I have asked others who say the same thing

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Seems perfectly logical to me
                  I don't either and I have asked others who say the same thing
                  mathematicians , I should think.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

BUT I don't think one needs language to think and it isn't always required by the mind.
                    My knowledge of philosophy is also a little rusty (if it ever existed), but I would agree that one doesn't neccessarily need language to think, but one does need a language to express what one is thinking, and a language that can be understood by the people you are communicating your thoughts to. The Swedish lady might not think in words (or a language), but she will have to decide which language - Swedish or English - she is going to use to communicate her thoughts (& she might decide not to use a verbal language, but a visual one - painting, drawing, sculpture, acting, or sign language if she is communicating with deaf people).

Comment

• Sydney Grew
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                      . . . some deep conceptual level and then find its surface expression as an utterance in either lanaguage, depending who I am addressing?
                      Those "concepts" are already a language, of sorts. One juggles them around using logic, and relates or connects them one to the other. Same idea. The grammar does differ from that of German or English. But a language to be a language does not need to be ex-pressed.

Comment

• doversoul1
                        Ex Member
                        • Dec 2010

I bet she said that because she was bored with people asking the same question; that’s her default answer. If you’d asked her ‘Do you dream in Swedish or English’, she’d probably have said, ‘I don’t dream’.

‘I don’t think in words’ is a very wordy thought.

Does this section deserve a thread of its own?
                        Last edited by doversoul1; 04-04-15, 13:53.

Comment

• Anastasius
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                          Does this section deserve a thread of its own?
                          I've been thinking the same thoughts for the last couple of pages!!
                          Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                            I bet she said that because she was bored with people asking the same question; that’s her default answer. If you’d asked her ‘Do you dream in Swedish or English’, she’d probably have said, ‘I don’t dream’.
                            Actually, she looked quite surprised by my question, and by her own answer. I do know her quite well - we both help run a chamber music society!
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Those "concepts" are already a language, of sorts. One juggles them around using logic, and relates or connects them one to the other. Same idea. The grammar does differ from that of German or English. But a language to be a language does not need to be ex-pressed.
                              Go a bit further, and we'll start discussing consciousness - and presumably also unconscious thoughts.

Comment

• doversoul1
                                Ex Member
                                • Dec 2010

Actually, she looked quite surprised by my question, and by her own answer. I do know her quite well - we both help run a chamber music society!
                                I apologise if I sound dismissive (it was not meant to be) but in general, it is the question that English speaking foreigners can’t get away from. Maybe your friend’s English is perfect and people don’t realise that she is not a native English speaker.

Comment

Working...
                                X