• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Composers' (and other musicians') blue plaques

I guess I'm most familiar with Handel and Jimi Hendrix next door to one another on Brook Street, W1, as I cycle past from time to time and metaphorically doff my cap... but (partly in the wake of the charivari about marking the Dutilleux residence in Paris), has anyone got any other favourite 'blue plaque' addresses to share?

I passed Eric Coates's place in a cab the other day (Flat 176, Chiltern Court, Baker Street, NW1 - just round the corner from the tube station).

And it's good to see this new one going up in Great Pulteney Street, W1, on old Joe Haydn's gaff:

Haydn Society of Great Britain. 812 likes · 1 talking about this. The Haydn Society of Great Britain exists to promote a wider understanding and appreciation of the music of Joseph Haydn and his circle.

Any other serendipitous encounters ?
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Flay
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Hmm, I do recall one or two that stopped me in my tracks, but I cannot remember where they were. I may be some time...
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
      Hmm, I do recall one or two that stopped me in my tracks, but I cannot remember where they were. I may be some time...
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

I happened upon an Elgar 'un in Avonmore road, West Kensington, just around the corner from Kensington Olympia station.

I see that the fourth edition of the London Blue Plaque guide hits the streets in august.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• makropulos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          I guess I'm most familiar with Handel and Jimi Hendrix next door to one another on Brook Street, W1, as I cycle past from time to time and metaphorically doff my cap... but (partly in the wake of the charivari about marking the Dutilleux residence in Paris), has anyone got any other favourite 'blue plaque' addresses to share?

I passed Eric Coates's place in a cab the other day (Flat 176, Chiltern Court, Baker Street, NW1 - just round the corner from the tube station).

And it's good to see this new one going up in Great Pulteney Street, W1, on old Joe Haydn's gaff:

Yes - there are several conductors including:
          Boult in West Hampstead (Marlborough Mansions), Barbirolli in Southampton Row, Sargent just across from the Albert Hall, Henry Wood in Primrose Hill (Elsworthy Road). Among the most recent (2013), Charles Mackerras in St John's Wood (Hamilton Terrace).

Composers: the Elgar one in W. Kensington is nice, and in the same part of the world there's one to the Goossens Family (70 Edith Road), a Britten one at 137 Cromwell Road, Bartók at Sydney Place (South Ken), Holst at Hammersmith (St Paul's Girls School) and in Barnes (where he lived for a time). RVW can be found in Hanover Terrace, Berlioz in Queen Anne Street an so on (and on). As you say, the fun thing about plaques is finding them by chance - as I did with Coates when it was being put up (very recently), and Elgar on my way to a meeting.

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

I recall seeing an important one - to the first millionaire composer - in Birmingham (Cornwall St?). Albert W. Ketelby.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

deleted
              Last edited by Flosshilde; 24-03-15, 23:16. Reason: oops - the thread title does say 'other musicians, so as I'm not aware of Enid Blyton being musical I'll remove the post

Comment

• Don Petter

It's nowhere near a blue plaque, but in a small country lane between here and East Hoathly, where there are few passers by and seemingly little use for such an amenity, there is a wooden seat bearing an inscription, on a metal plate, to the memory of Ronald Binge, Composer, with his dates.

I can find no reference on the internet to any association of his with this part of East Sussex.

Here is a Streetview of the item:

The large house in front of which the seat is positioned is North Barham House, should this be significant.
                Last edited by Guest; 27-03-15, 22:46. Reason: typo

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                  It's nowhere near a blue plaque, but in a small country lane between here and East Hoathly, where there are few passers by and seemingly little use for such an amenity, there is a wooden seat bearing an inscription, on a metal plate, to the memory of Ronald Binge, Composer, with his dates.

I can find no reference on the internet to any association of his with this part of East Sussex.

Here is a Streeview of the item:

The large house in front of which the seat is positioned is North Barham House, should this be significant.

I've just looked on the Ancestry website and there's a 1968 Phone Book entry for him at North Barham House

edit - and still there in 1977
                  Last edited by mercia; 27-03-15, 21:28.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                    Barbirolli in Southampton Row
                    He also has a tree in Tavistock Square (I'm not sure what sort of tree).
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                      I've just looked on the Ancestry website and there's a 1968 Phone Book entry for him at North Barham House

edit - and still there in 1977
                      Many thanks! Neatly wrapped up.

I see he died in 1979 in Ringwood, so seemingly he pretty much spent his last years in that house.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                        • Dec 2010

I hope its still there, but 30 years ago there was a plaque in Finsbury Square recording Bruckner's stay in London (presumably in a house on the site).

update: I have just checked google streetview and it was there when the spy camera passed by.

Although its not a plaque I think my most serendipitous find was walking through a churchyard in Sussex and seeing Frank Bridge's grave. Friston - he lived there.
                        Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 28-03-15, 00:16.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                          I hope its still there, but 30 years ago there was a plaque in Finsbury Square recording Bruckner's stay in London (presumably in a house on the site).

update: I have just checked google streetview and it was there when the spy camera passed by.

Although its not a plaque I think my most serendipitous find was walking through a churchyard in Sussex and seeing Frank Bridge's grave. Friston - he lived there.
                          Bruckner's plaque is still there all right, but, were you to blink while you pass, you could easily miss it, as it is set back a bit from the pavement on a comparatively unremarkable office building, now partly containing Bloomberg's London HQ. The original site was a hotel owned by a German family which no doubt was the main reason for the composer's choice of London accommodation.

Coincidentally (and somewhat stereotypically) we are told in the latest edition of The Bruckner Journal that the seemingly ever-hapless composer couldn't find his route back to the hotel following one of his organ 'gigs' at the RAH and was finally rescued by a fellow-Austrian (musician?) who happened to spot him sitting all alone and looking lost and bewildered on the top-deck of an old horse-drawn London bus.

Yeahhh, a likely story ...

Comment

Working...
                          X