Still lots of work for the new DG to do....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

No - I think you'll find that even with summary dismissal there's a procedure https://www.gov.uk/dismiss-staff/fair-dismissals

I'm not an employment lawyer but I'd wager the 'procedure' would take longer than the 4 working days left on Clarkson's contract. That's why I say it amounts to the same thing; in fact it's probably a good deal swifter and cleaner.

Case closed.

Next!!

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      No - I think you'll find that even with summary dismissal there's a procedure https://www.gov.uk/dismiss-staff/fair-dismissals

I'm not an employment lawyer but I'd wager the 'procedure' would take longer than the 4 working days left on Clarkson's contract. That's why I say it amounts to the same thing; in fact it's probably a good deal swifter and cleaner.

Case closed.

Next!!

Ah,so if you want your case dealt with quickly, and cleared up sharpish,,get your papers in for the end of the quarter ?

Best time to get a good deal on Sky TV, or buy a car, too !!

( or do a deal with your friendly local publisher !!)
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Case closed.

Next!!

Of course there must be a procedure for the dismissal, this is England after all - the disciplinary hearing should follow the investigation.

Are you saying that because the BBC were not competent enough to complete the investigation in good time, JC got away with it?

And is it cleaner? What about the messy business of an appeal against a decision to terminate JC's contract, that was never taken in the first place? How would that work?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          Of course there must be a procedure for the dismissal, this is England after all - the disciplinary hearing should follow the investigation.

Are you saying that because the BBC were not competent enough to complete the investigation in good time, JC got away with it?

And is it cleaner? What about the messy business of an appeal against a decision to terminate JC's contract, that was never taken in the first place? How would that work?

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

What're you trying to say, Cali?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

If there is a wry smile to be had out of this business, Patrick Kidd in the Times Diary puts his finger on it: 36 years after the Waldorf Salad episode of Fawlty Towers, you still can't get a hot meal in a provincial hotel after 9 pm.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                What're you trying to say, Cali?
                That I've given quite enough legal advice "off the clock" for one day...

...and am anxious to get home and listen to more of my "Christoph Eschenbach: the Early Recordings" boxset !

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                    If there is a wry smile to be had out of this business, Patrick Kidd in the Times Diary puts his finger on it: 36 years after the Waldorf Salad episode of Fawlty Towers, you still can't get a hot meal in a provincial hotel after 9 pm.

Comment

• Don Petter

I do not condone the behaviour of JC, but it does strike me that Top Gear has been past its useful date for quite a while, exhibiting artificial struggles to provide some escapade that has not quite been done before, with the SIARPC becoming even more sycophantic.

So a new direction for him would be no bad thing. I value his entertaining and well-written journalism in the press and books, which has blown a light fresh breeze over several sacred cows.

Perhaps, when it has all blown over, everyone will be a winner?

Comment

• Frances_iom
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                        I do not condone the behaviour of JC, ...
                        some similar behaviour was shown in his disputes and court appearances over his attempt to close a footpath on the IoM - didn't come out smelling of roses though the local petrolheads would support him whatever he did - laddish is my description

Comment

• Maclintick
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                          I do not condone the behaviour of JC, but it does strike me that Top Gear has been past its useful date for quite a while, exhibiting artificial struggles to provide some escapade that has not quite been done before, with the SIARPC becoming even more sycophantic.

So a new direction for him would be no bad thing. I value his entertaining and well-written journalism in the press and books, which has blown a light fresh breeze over several sacred cows.

Perhaps, when it has all blown over, everyone will be a winner?
                          Quite so. If I was Clarkson I’d immediately consider relocating to somewhere more accepting of politically-incorrect patterns of behaviour, such as Russia or Uzbekistan…. I mean, where is one in today’s Britain if one can’t in the course of one’s employment utter pub-bore xenophobic, racist remarks and duff up one’s subordinates so badly that they require hospital treatment ?

Almost more disgusting than the offender himself are the tabloids colluding with Jezza (“He’s My Friend” D. Cameron) to present himself as victim, rather than Oisin Tymon, whose persecution on Twatter & other anti-social media is another depressing manifestation of the online mob-mentality, documented with acuity by Jon Ronson in “So You’ve Been Publicly-Shamed”.

But then, I’m not a fan, & am non-plussed by the success of Top Gear with the current trio of mediocrities. Haven’t liked the programme since William Woollard left….Now there’s an impressive geezer who understood fast machines…ex-RAF fighter-pilot ( Suck On That, Stig ! ) & altogether a bit like a Buddhist James Bond ….

As for the petrol-headed threesome being snapped up by the Beeb’s rivals for extended basking in the TV empyrean…the track record here is not exactly encouraging q.v. everyone from Morecambe & Wise to Wossie …Duds !

Comment

Working...
                          X