• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Budget, fudge it or budge it?

Treading carefully to avoid anything partisan, I just wonder if it is legit to have a budget (which is mainly a trumpeting exercise for a chancellor of whatever stripe) in the lead-up period to an election? Whether this one was scheduled or not, wouldn't it have been more even-handed to have it either 4 months before or after the Big Day?
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

If we really are to have 5-year parliaments enshrined into the unwritten constitution, it would be better to hold elections in March, to avoid this kind of thing.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Treading carefully to avoid anything partisan, I just wonder if it is legit to have a budget (which is mainly a trumpeting exercise for a chancellor of whatever stripe) in the lead-up period to an election? Whether this one was scheduled or not, wouldn't it have been more even-handed to have it either 4 months before or after the Big Day?
      A pre-election budget not without precedent, as Finkelstein,D [as Eye readers know him ] reminds us in today's Times, in a review of other pre-election budgets. But he goes on to suggest that, as in the case of the others, it won't decide the election, as there's always too much else going on.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        If we really are to have 5-year parliaments enshrined into the unwritten constitution, it would be better to hold elections in March, to avoid this kind of thing.
        Kenneth Clarke on R4 yesterday suggested that the whole fixed term parliament thing was not so great, and in fact does put something written into what was otherwise a sort of "we can change it as we like" set of "rules". Now there are rules - and they don't seem to have been terribly well thought out. I hate the notion that the period is 5 years - 4 is about as much as we should have to put up with of any of these people.

We should be able to recall the MPs too - but that'll take years to get in place - the same for other people in public office.
        Last edited by Dave2002; 18-03-15, 15:37. Reason: added an 'e'

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I would prefer 4-year terms too.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            I hate ...

We should ...
            So, if I understand the gist of this thread, Parliament and the Government "should" bow to the whim of random members of the Radio 3 Forum?

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
              So, if I understand the gist of this thread, Parliament and the Government "should" bow to the whim of random members of the Radio 3 Forum?
              Ah, but we don't have
              government of the people, by the people, for the people, ...
              over here!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                "Use of should:
                We often use should when offering advice or opinions (similar to ought to):

John should get a haircut.
                They should make that illegal.
                There should be a law against that &c."

It's more of an idiom, rather than expecting anyone to bow to anyone else's whim.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

alas 4 or 5 years will likely make no difference jusr another bl**dy government eh ...

Parliament and the Government "should" bow to the whim of random members of the Radio 3 Forum?
                  as things stand in our democracy it all bows to the whim of a few thousand floaters anyway ....
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Course they should....

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

However, '4 [years] is about as much as we should have to put up with of any of these people' isn't quite the same as 'the government should' do anything in particular, is it?

(Though unless you vote for someone completely different, you will end up with the same or another set of these people whatever the period iof the parliament.)

Comment

• Rolmill
                        • Nov 2010

Surprised no one has commented on the new orchestra tax relief (at 25%, though I am not sure how that works), to "further (sic) encourage growth". Good to see recognition of the need, as also of the "cultural and economic benefits to the UK" delivered by what they call "the creative industries". The relief only kicks in from April 2016, though, so let's hope it's not too little too late for some.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
                          (Though unless you vote for someone completely different, you will end up with the same or another set of these people whatever the period of the parliament.)
                          "Whoever you vote for, the government always gets in"
                          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
                            Surprised no one has commented on the new orchestra tax relief (at 25%, though I am not sure how that works), to "further (sic) encourage growth". Good to see recognition of the need, as also of the "cultural and economic benefits to the UK" delivered by what they call "the creative industries". The relief only kicks in from April 2016, though, so let's hope it's not too little too late for some.
                            Thanks Rolmill..I wasn't aware of that. I'm interested to know more.

As far as Jean's....

However, '4 [years] is about as much as we should have to put up with of any of these people' isn't quite the same as 'the government should' do anything in particular, is it?
                            ...one is reminded of Iolanthe; such bits as:

When in that House MPs divide
                            If they've a brain and cerebellum too,
                            They've got to leave that brain outside
                            And vote just as their leaders tell 'em to.

and

The House of Peers throughout the war
                            Did nothing in particular
                            And did it very well

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Perhaps, but no longer is every little girl and boy alive born a Liberal or a Conservative.

Comment

Working...
                              X