X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    Don't mock. Introduction of a new malachite green livery definitely made the steam locomotives of the Southern Railway run faster pre-nationalisation
    Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 04-06-15, 23:14. Reason: Getting the dates right (1937-48 for malachite livery)
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

I feel much the same about gold-plated speaker contacts.

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

Ditto

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          I feel much the same about gold-plated speaker contacts.
          Um, I sometimes find tiny distortions creeping into my hi-fi which disappear if I give the plugs (phonos etc) a good waggle or a remove-and-replace. The distortion is presumably due to oxidation of the contact areas between plug and socket.

I do have gold-plated banana plugs on the amplifier end of speaker leads and these don't seem to need the treatment. Isn't one of the benefits of gold plugs this lack of corrosion which definitely has audio effects?

Sometime I might afford gold plugs everywhere. Or might need to afford, as reaching the backs of all that stuff in the rack is definitely getting harder as I age. (Thinks: retirement present, or use my pension lump sum?)
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Gold is an excellent conductor unlike ......................... (insert name here)
            However, most 'gold plated' connectors have such a small layer that the benefit is lost if the lead is unplugged and plugged in again (it's not the hardest of metals).

Of course for real audio quality you need the gold to be mined by trolls and energised by moonbeams.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
              Um, I sometimes find tiny distortions creeping into my hi-fi which disappear if I give the plugs (phonos etc) a good waggle or a remove-and-replace. The distortion is presumably due to oxidation of the contact areas between plug and socket.

I do have gold-plated banana plugs on the amplifier end of speaker leads and these don't seem to need the treatment. Isn't one of the benefits of gold plugs this lack of corrosion which definitely has audio effects?

Sometime I might afford gold plugs everywhere. Or might need to afford, as reaching the backs of all that stuff in the rack is definitely getting harder as I age. (Thinks: retirement present, or use my pension lump sum?)
              Very much depends upon what metallic surface one is plugging into. If the contact on the speaker is also gold plated then so should the plug be, but if any tin is involved in the contact then gold should be avoided. A complex chemical reaction between gold and tin does itself generate an insulating layer. This used to be a fairly common problem with memory upgrades in computers a couple of decades ago when new SIMMs with gold plated contacts met tin plated contacts of some sockets. A little wiggle of the SIMM(s) would provide a temporary resolution of lost memory.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

When the National Health and Medical Research Council report on homeopathy concluded that “There was no reliable evidence from research in humans that homeopathy was effective for treating the range [...]More...

and some other new research findings into the links between Vaccines and Autism

How do vaccines cause autism? See exactly what the science says!
                Last edited by MrGongGong; 23-02-16, 19:49.

Comment

Working...
                X