• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    But doctors should't be dealing in snake oil.
    I might agree with that - but I want you to state the reasons instead of declaring your statement to be 'not a problem'.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other, but have, argumenti causa, chosen to present the opposite one from you.

I think I've answered such arguments as you gave and you aren't addressing my arguments.

Broadly, I think it's medically and financially too insignificant to make the fuss that you make. So I wonder why you think it's such a big deal that you have to keep revisiting it every time you read a new article about it.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

I don't revisit it 'every time' I read a new article at all.

I DO think it is significant £4 million is a lot of money to waste on nonsense.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I DO think it is significant £4 million is a lot of money to waste on nonsense.
        It's not the money
        Its the spurious credibility that's the problem
        People die of serious diseases because of this nonsense (Steve Jobs? )
        Contradiction here?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Contradiction here?
          Maybe
          But the money gives spurious credibility (as does the example that teamsaint talks about)

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Apologies if anyone has already mentioned the weird facts of physics but it is (apparently) possible for a change affecting a single atom to simultaneously affect an atom elsewhere even if it it is on the other side of the universe (see Prof Jim Al Khalili's website). If I've grasped this correctly (ahem) doesn't it at least admit of the possibility that the changes that it seems extreme dilutions of homeopathic medicines bring about - equivalent to a single atom in the Atlantic (from a Horizon prog on homeopathy a few years back) - may have something more than assertion to support them? As to whether or not homeopathy works, there seem to be plenty of people who believe it does and before anyone says placebo, just how does that work?

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
              Apologies if anyone has already mentioned the weird facts of physics but it is (apparently) possible for a change affecting a single atom to simultaneously affect an atom elsewhere even if it it is on the other side of the universe (see Prof Jim Al Khalili's website). If I've grasped this correctly (ahem) doesn't it at least admit of the possibility that the changes that it seems extreme dilutions of homeopathic medicines bring about - equivalent to a single atom in the Atlantic (from a Horizon prog on homeopathy a few years back) - may have something more than assertion to support them? As to whether or not homeopathy works, there seem to be plenty of people who believe it does and before anyone says placebo, just how does that work?
              I think you need an actual atom (or sub atomic particle) for this to work.
              I think you will find its a lot less than an atom in the Atlantic

Comment

• Richard Barrett

If I've grasped this correctly (ahem) doesn't it at least admit of the possibility that the changes that it seems extreme dilutions of homeopathic medicines bring about - equivalent to a single atom in the Atlantic (from a Horizon prog on homeopathy a few years back) - may have something more than assertion to support them?
                No. Apart from what MrGG says, there is no known mechanism for water molecules retaining a "memory" of some other molecules they might once have come into contact with. (At the time when homeopathy was invented this might have been a plausible theory.) Moreover, as I keep saying, whether or not there's a plausible scientific explanation, which there isn't, homeopathy has been proved "beyond reasonable doubt" not to work.

Teamsaint, there may be doctors who believe in homeopathy, you've met some and so have I, but my question was about scientists, that is to say people involved in actual scientific research, which most doctors of course aren't.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                  • May 2011

This is a phenomenon from theoretical physics called quantum entanglement.

I paraphrase Chad Ordel in How to Teach Physics to Your Dog (2009 Simon & Schuster). The bit in inverted commas is a quote:
                  The use of quantum entanglement to explain homeopathy's purported effects is "patent nonsense", as entanglement is a delicate state which rarely lasts longer than a fraction of a second. While entanglement may result in certain aspects of individual subatomic particles acquiring linked quantum states, this does not mean the particles will mirror or duplicate each other, nor cause health-improving transformations.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                    • Jun 2014

How about we (that's WE) give £4m to encourage the development of exorcism to cast out the evil spirits that are causing disease?

(up pops PG Tipps to tell us that it's a long and noble tradition and we shouldn't make a mockery of it)
                    Well, needless to say I haven't asked anyone (or have any intention of asking anyone) not to make a mockery of anything, I have merely stated my admittedly useless opinion, like everyone else here.

I do wish you'd keep your other obsession (religion) out of these wholly unconnected topics. Believe (!) it or not, I feel certain the same debate is often held amongst all sorts of folk, whether they have a religious or non-religious view of life.

As stated before I do not use (and have never used) homoeopathic treatments. I am extremely sceptical myself but would never claim that makes me right and others who do not share my opinion wrong. Science does not have all the answers as any scientist will readily admit!

In any case, people have a perfect right to be wrong, not least yourself, Mr GongGong!
                    Last edited by P. G. Tipps; 18-03-15, 18:46. Reason: 'Predictive Text' is all very well, but ...

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                      these wholly unconnected topics.!
                      ?

One involves a set of beliefs that fly in the face of physics
                      the other?

Comment

• gradus
                        • Nov 2010

Placebo?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Placebo?
                          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

(I prefer the original myself)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

?

One involves a set of beliefs that fly in the face of physics
                            the other?
                            The face of physics as we think we know.

Some scientists reckon there are parallel universes in the same space. Others do not.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              The face of physics as we think we know.

Some scientists reckon there are parallel universes in the same space. Others do not.
                              True
                              But I would suspect they all would cry out if you dropped an anvil on their foot !

Comment

• Frances_iom
                                • Mar 2007

it's just an everday occurance of transsubstatiation - the erstwhile hole now occupied by a homely water molecule complete with its accidents actually retains the substance of the active agent - I'm sure Mr PRT can explain this much more clearly (I gave up on these metaphysics at age of 11 but then I blame my home chemistry kit for giving me a biased understanding of reality!)

Comment

Working...
                                X