X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Odd events in our bathroom - spider activity

We seem to have spiders in our bathroom. Sometimes they appear to remain motionless for hours, but if they are disturbed they'll move.

Today I noticed one hanging down, and another close by. Then they appeared to draw closer. One looked pretty motionless. I wondered if one was trying to eat the other, or if one was male, the other female, and they were attempting to mate. I went away for a while, after which it looked like only one was left, but now a few hours later there do seem to be two again.

They look like the same kind, so unless they are a cannibalistic species, perhaps mating is more likely.
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Experiencing some constipation, Dave? Or was it a long leisurely bath?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      We seem to have spiders in our bathroom. Sometimes they appear to remain motionless for hours, but if they are disturbed they'll move.

Today I noticed one hanging down, and another close by. Then they appeared to draw closer. One looked pretty motionless. I wondered if one was trying to eat the other, or if one was male, the other female, and they were attempting to mate. I went away for a while, after which it looked like only one was left, but now a few hours later there do seem to be two again.

They look like the same kind, so unless they are a cannibalistic species, perhaps mating is more likely.
      Have you thought about getting out a bit more? Maybe joining something like a ramblers' club, or perhaps voluntary work?

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        Have you thought about getting out a bit more? Maybe joining something like a ramblers' club, or perhaps voluntary work?
        Maybe!

You mean join some other bunch of nutters to go roaming round the countryside?

I have never seen anything like this spider behaviour before, hence my interest.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

You have a website!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Maybe!

I have never seen anything like this spider behaviour before, hence my interest.
            Ok, you seem an incy wincy bit offended

Comment

• Ferretfancy
              • Nov 2010

Dave

Most of the British spider species die by about this time in the winter, with only a few surviving into the next Spring. This is because they mate in the Autumn and die after laying their eggs, which hatch out when the Spring arrives. The ones you saw are most likely the so called house spider, Tegenaria. They only wander into houses accidentally, their real home is more likely to be in a wood pile in the garden, or behind the bark of a tree.
              Your two are probably in the bathroom because they need humidity, and they could well be on their last legs ( all eight!

Any arachnophobe will tell you that September and October are the most fearful times for them. This is because male spiders start searching for a mate, and get seen more.

Every summer I help out on a special project at London Zoo which is very successful at treating people who are terrified of spiders. The phobia dominates their lives in a way which is difficult to understand as a non sufferer. Luckily the cure really works and the clients go home triumphant.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                • Nov 2010

I
                Maybe!

I am sympathetic about your interest. I'd be the same.

I have ladybirds in my bathroom, but they aren't doing anything unusual. I presume they've been hibernating somewhere.

Comment

• umslopogaas
                  • Nov 2010

Alas I have no lady bird in my bathroom, though if I had, I'm sure I would have spied her.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• visualnickmos
                      • Nov 2010

I saw a small ad once:

Crap spider requires web designer

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Is a crap spider a bit like a dung beetle?
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Remember the days before we had this stuff on the web?
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

I always wondered what a webchat was.

Comment

• mangerton
                              • Nov 2010

Probably best not to disturb them, then. Doing so just leads to grief. eg:

A few years ago, when miss m was at Durham University - some considerable distance from Dundee.

One Sunday evening, 10.30 pm. My phone rings.

"Dad. There's a spider in my bath."

"And?"

"***************** !!!!!!!!!!"

I don't know where she learned such language. Probably from her mother. Anyway, I told her - glass, sheet of paper.

Twenty minutes later, phone rings again. "Dad, I was so brave...."

Comment

Working...
                              X