X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P. G. Tipps
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
    Prove me wrong, but I can't see this government lasting for very long.

Still, if the 'far left' and the 'far right' can work together, there'll be hope for Labour and the Tories come this May (though, inevtiably, with the shadow of 1931 looming large).
    I agree that it's difficult to see what this government can actually 'negotiate' with Brussels or, rather more pertinently, Berlin.

However, I'm not at all surprised the 'far left' have joined forces with some on the 'far right'. They have so much in common in many ways, not least the quest for radical change and even revolution. For all their political differences they understand each other perfectly well!

Worrying times for all European moderates, not just Greek ...

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

not quite sure where these calls for moderation have got us in the last few years...unless we are bankers.....

for "moderation" read " austerity" or" ever widening wealth gap" .....
      do as you are told.....
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
        Prove me wrong, but I can't see this government lasting for very long.
        If it does fail it will be because Berlin (& some others - I note that Cameron has not been forthcoming with the traditional congratulations) don't want it to succeed. Far too threatening for their own neo-liberal economic policies.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          If it does fail it will be because Berlin (& some others - I note that Cameron has not been forthcoming with the traditional congratulations) don't want it to succeed. Far too threatening for their own neo-liberal economic policies.
          well quite.

Ever noticed how " moral hazard " goes missing when REALLY big money is involved?.......
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            well quite.

Ever noticed how " moral hazard " goes missing when REALLY big money is involved?.......

yep I see it - as far as i can throw a shiekh.....
            bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Now's the time for the BBC to prove its impartiality to skeptics such as myself, and bring on all those commentators arguing in wordy documents these past few years for the "alternative" non-austerity capitalist model, as variously advocated by two or three here on this forum.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Maybe the Greeks need more encouragement. Some of us are aware of problems in Greece, and the way it manages its own people. It is indeed the case that some rich Greek people rip off the rest, and export their gains out of the country, but that leaves many people trying to live on what seems rather little.

At a time when one large power seems to want to throw its weight around again, it might be helpful to allow the Greeks some leeway. Also, something I'm very unsure of - the Germans claim - no doubt correctly - that they have lent Greece very large sums of money. However, lenders have responsibilities as well as borrowers. As Shakespeare wrote:

Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
                For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
                And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry

Polonius

Hamlet Act 1, scene 3, 75–77
                What interest rates are the Germans insisting on for their loans to Greece? Are they charging high rates, which could well have the effect of making things worse than they need be? I don't actually know - the rates may be fair and reasonable, but they may not.

At least one other Shakespeare play comes to mind.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Tell me if I'm right or wrong, but if memory servs me correctly, a previous thread devoted to Greece established without question that the German government set Greece up awhile back for inevitable failure in some sort of trading agreement the Greeks could not refuse.

Comment

Working...
                  X