Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        ?
        I think we shall austere away from this topic

I've elected to say nothing further

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I can well understand how the average family Antonopoulos, having seen price hikes, tax increases and pension cuts might be tempted to get rid of a government that dances to the tune of the EU and especially of Frau Merkel. Perhaps though they ought to be careful what they wish for.

Was #3 λογοπαίγνιο ?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

To be effective, any government needs a power base. It saddens me to have to say this, but Syriza would appear not to have one - self-sufficiency being declared out of the question, Greece having long been reduced to service industries and tourism in the post Reagan-Thatcher world carve-up that relocated wealth-creation to places that would threaten no obstacles to profitability. The BBC omitted to bring anyone questioning of austerity economics onto this morning's Andrew Marr and The Politics Show, natch: commentators to a man and woman proclaiming national suicide and even treason should the Greeks incorrectly posit their democratic inclinations.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

On the news just now it seems Samaras has conceded defeat:

It's not done wonders for the Euro.

Comment

• JFLL
                • Jan 2011

Politics, anyone ? (yawn)

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
                  The people of Greece, anyone?...

Comment

• hedgehog

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                    On the news just now it seems Samaras has conceded defeat:

It's not done wonders for the Euro.
                    I hope Syriza can achieve something, I wish them well. I would have thought the ECB starting to print euros last week to buy up bonds from banks is what is having the most effect on the euro. Given the low price of oil it's probably not a bad time to do it, if one wants to do it. I don't know what effect printing euros will have on Greece.
                    Last edited by Guest; 26-01-15, 07:34.

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

But seriously, anything can be 'politics', e.g. your kids' school needing repairs, the local library closing down, fracking under your house, county music shrivelling to nothing, It isn't (or shouldn't be IMVHO) something apart from everyday life.

I agree our own run-up to the May election is already yawn-worthy.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                        • Nov 2010

It's a pity they don't quite have an overall majority. As it is, I see on Ceefax that Syriza is going into coalition with one of the right wing parties, which seems a bit strange, but might work.

Comment

• gradus
                          • Nov 2010

Interesting Today interview with the chap who will apparently be the new Finance minister, it seems that Greece will stay in the Euro and try to reschedule its debts so that repayments come from future economic growth, which is to say no time soon given the terrible state of the Greek economy. Over to you Frankfurt.

Comment

• Conchis
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2014

Prove me wrong, but I can't see this government lasting for very long.

Still, if the 'far left' and the 'far right' can work together, there'll be hope for Labour and the Tories come this May (though, inevtiably, with the shadow of 1931 looming large).

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                              Prove me wrong, but I can't see this government lasting for very long.
                              I rather doubt that it will last long either but it must be given a chance; its undoing is likely to be in the fact of being unable to fulfil most if not all of its promises and the pressure that will almost cergtainly be put upon it by the rest of the Eurozone. Greek unemployment remains high and Greek youth unemployment exceptionally so; until and unless that changes materially and Greeks in work are paid better (which is unliklely until and unless Greek firms do better) the government won't be able to raise the taxes to help the nation's economy. Tax avoidance and indemnity are rife in Greece anyway and if the Eurozone won't let Greece write off the amount of debt that it decides it would like it to write off then it's hard to see how the newly elected administraton will be able to do more than talk the talk, so when the Greeks that voted Syriza in come to realise this, their support for it will diminish and it will be back to square one.

Comment

Working...
                              X