X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    Unless you have a flock of sheep, can't see or are in need of a sniffer dog then having a dog isn't really an essential thing.
    It's quite simple to tax rich people properly once you stop believing in the lie of "trickle down" (your leg?) economics.

People in the UK are far too sentimental about dogs.
    Dogs and me dont really get on.

But for many folks their dog is a lifeline .same applies to sport on local BBC radio, and many other things.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

But for many folks their dog is a lifeline .same applies to sport on local BBC radio, and many other things.
      I feel the same about Talisker
      so could I have it tax free as well please?

"Local Radio" ? what on earth is that?

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Agree with your points here.

In some areas though dogs - and also cats - are really bad news, and not many people think about this. Where houses are close to fairly wide open spaces there can be particular species of animals which are disturbed by dogs and cats. Ground nesting birds are particularly vulnerable, and some of them are protected species, and under threat in the UK. Dartford warblers and skylarks are under threat, particularly during the nesting season.

Pet owners are often not aware of this, and possibly many of them are indifferent to the problems which may arise from their animals.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Agree with your points here.

In some areas though dogs - and also cats - are really bad news, and not many people think about this. Where houses are close to fairly wide open spaces there can be particular species of animals which are disturbed by dogs and cats. Ground nesting birds are particularly vulnerable, and some of them are protected species, and under threat in the UK. Dartford warblers and skylarks are under threat, particularly during the nesting season.

Pet owners are often not aware of this, and possibly many of them are indifferent to the problems which may arise from their animals.
          If landowners put up notifications adjacent to public rights of way, this could help?

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            If landowners put up notifications adjacent to public rights of way, this could help?
            In theory yes, up to a point, but dogs and cats have not, AFAIK, been through the English educational system, and the behaviour of some pet owners suggests that they haven't either.

What doesn't seem to be appreciated is that domestic pets really can do quite a lot of harm to the natural habitat and its inhabitants over a fairly sizeable area within reach of human habitation. There are also issues re fencing and rights of way, particularly in areas of open common land.

Until recently I was also ignorant on such matters, so I think more education and understanding is required by most of us. I can perceive significant health benefts for some beople who are dog owners, and cats and other pets do seem to give some people a motivation for living - even fish!

Comment

Working...
            X