X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    But he didn't ask for a "fighting fund" just a bit of help with funding a legal letter.
    I know that; such funding would still constitute at least the beginnings of a "fighting fund", especially if such a letter were to bear no fruit. Nothing wrong in principle with asking except that, in so doing, he conveys the impression of one cowed by the bullying (if you'llpardon ghe bovine metaphors) of Mr Solomons that appears so far not to have been supported by valid evidence of his claim.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      But he didn't ask for a "fighting fund" just a bit of help with funding a legal letter.
      Can you draw this thread to his attention? I'm sure it would lift his spirit and give him some useful ideas.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        Can you draw this thread to his attention? I'm sure it would lift his spirit and give him some useful ideas.
        Indeed - very good idea!

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          I know that; such funding would still constitute at least the beginnings of a "fighting fund", especially if such a letter were to bear no fruit. Nothing wrong in principle with asking except that, in so doing, he conveys the impression of one cowed by the bullying (if you'llpardon ghe bovine metaphors) of Mr Solomons that appears so far not to have been supported by valid evidence of his claim.
          Why should he need a fighting fund? Most, if not all, on here are agreed that Mr Solomons doesn't have much of a case. It's therefore difficult to see any court in the land taking a perversely opposite stance in this matter. No, Mr Rawes should leave the onus on Solomons to make his move if he is that confident. It's nothing more than a try on and I think Mr Rawes can sleep soundly a-bed tonight and every other night come to that.

A tersely worded solicitor's letter is all that is required to have this sorted.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            Why should he need a fighting fund? Most, if not all, on here are agreed that Mr Solomons doesn't have much of a case. It's therefore difficult to see any court in the land taking a perversely opposite stance in this matter. No, Mr Rawes should leave the onus on Solomons to make his move if he is that confident. It's nothing more than a try on and I think Mr Rawes can sleep soundly a-bed tonight and every other night come to that.

A tersely worded solicitor's letter is all that is required to have this sorted.
            He doesn't need one; that was my point. Whilst a tersely worded solicitor's letter might well do the trick, so could inaction on Mr Rawes' part. We cannot predict Mr Solomons' behaviour, of course, but if the onus if placed firmly upon him to act, he'll likely consider the financial consequences to him of doing so, especially if he actually realises that he might not have a case.

Comment

• dwynwyn
              • Jun 2024

I cam across this discussion when searching for Ian Rawes' London Sound Survey which has disappeared. I know Ian sadly died quite suddenly in 2021 but the site was kept up (presumably by someone) but now it is down which is a real shame given how amazing it is. It looks like someone has simply not paid the host but who knows. Anyone know anything?

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Quite a saga. I found this public information a few minutes ago (NB Relevant details):

WHOIS search results

Domain name:
                soundsurvey.org.uk

Data validation:
                Nominet was not able to match the registrant's name and/or address against a 3rd party source

Registrar:
                Sub 6 Limited t/a Clook Internet [Tag = CLOOK]
                URL: https://www.clook.net

Relevant dates:
                Registered on: 16-Dec-2008
                Expiry date: 16-Dec-2024
                Last updated: 27-Nov-2023

Registration status:
                Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
                ns1.clook.net
                ns2.clook.net

WHOIS lookup made at 10:15:39 25-Jun-2024

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• dwynwyn
                  • Jun 2024

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Quite a saga. I found this public information a few minutes ago (NB Relevant details):

WHOIS search results

Domain name:
                  soundsurvey.org.uk

Data validation:
                  Nominet was not able to match the registrant's name and/or address against a 3rd party source

Registrar:
                  Sub 6 Limited t/a Clook Internet [Tag = CLOOK]
                  URL: https://www.clook.net

Relevant dates:
                  Registered on: 16-Dec-2008
                  Expiry date: 16-Dec-2024
                  Last updated: 27-Nov-2023

Registration status:
                  Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
                  ns1.clook.net
                  ns2.clook.net

WHOIS lookup made at 10:15:39 25-Jun-2024

Thanks Mark. Hm, but that suggests the expiry is not until 16 Dec 2024. So why is it down? I admit I do not understand this stuff much at all. Could still be a fees thing.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by dwynwyn View Post
                    Could still be a fees thing.
                    I'm as well-versed as you in these matters :-) . It looks as if the fee is paid by monthly instalments so maybe if whoever took that on decided to discontinue it the domain name would remain available until the registration expired but the live service would cease. Or possibly no one has been paying it since Mr Rawes death and the hosting service discontinued soon after?
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• dwynwyn
                      • Jun 2024

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I'm as well-versed as you in these matters :-) . It looks as if the fee is paid by monthly instalments so maybe if whoever took that on decided to discontinue it the domain name would remain available until the registration expired but the live service would cease. Or possibly no one has been paying it since Mr Rawes death and the hosting service discontinued soon after?
                      All very possible except I did not look at it that long ago certainly well after 2021 so the change is more recent. I feel quite sad about this. It would be interesting to see if there is a way it can be kept it going - it cannot be that expensive but I don't really know. The question is who to contact and that would need to be sorted by 16 December. I guess Clook. I remember the site used to say all the sounds were archived by the BL but that is hardly the same as this great website.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

The question is who to contact and that would need to be sorted by 16 December. I guess Clook.
                        Try contacting Clook
                        Need help with your web hosting services in? Reach out to Clook’s UK support team today for quick, professional help. We're here to listen and assist!

I remember the site used to say all the sounds were archived by the BL but that is hardly the same as this great website.
                        Obituary on the British Library blog. Might be worth contacting someone there.

Comment

Working...
                        X