Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
    Brilliant - just like The Star! (which was probably a Supernova)
    If the Magi were from the East, and the star was seen in the East, why didn't they just wander off in the wrong direction?

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
      If the Magi were from the East, and the star was seen in the East, why didn't they just wander off in the wrong direction?
      They were probably seduced (though by quite what I have considerably less than no idea) into partaking of their journey via Ryanair.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

I love The Goodies Christmas Card List:

Emma Dreaming
        Arthur White
        Chris Muss
        Jess Likedee
        Juan Swee
        Hugh Sterno
        Wendy Treetops-Glissen
        Ann Chilled-Wren
        Liz Ann
        "Two Ears" Laybelle
        Cindy Snow
        Emma Dreaming
        Arthur White
        Chris Musswith
        Avery Crease
        Miss Carr
        Dai Wright
        Mayor Dazebee
        Mary Ann Bright
        Ann May Hall York Rhys
        Mrs B White
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

partaking of their journey via Ryanair.
          ...this has been around for a few years too, but it still makes me laugh.

DVD Available Now from - www.fascinatingaida.co.ukCertified (15)PAL - Region Free - (Will work world wide on PAL compatable DVD players)DVD extras include in...

Comment

• mangerton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
            Miss m (BA hons in theology) has just pointed out that the words state "westward leading, still proceeding". She might have a point.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

So they were already in the east, saw a star 'in the east', really heading for....? Sso SHOULD they have been heading for......China? Or did they mean that 'we were in the East, and saw this star we followed'? I mean, how far east were they when they saw this star?

So'westward leading' means this star / comet or drone or whatever was travelling east to west, but east from where? And at what sort of speed?

Wish I'd never started this.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

...just stick Amahl and the Night Visitors on the CD player and it will seem unimportant.

Comment

• mangerton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  So they were already in the east, saw a star 'in the east', really heading for....? Sso SHOULD they have been heading for......China? Or did they mean that 'we were in the East, and saw this star we followed'? I mean, how far east were they when they saw this star?

So'westward leading' means this star / comet or drone or whatever was travelling east to west, but east from where? And at what sort of speed?
                  It could well have been a drone, come to think of it. After all, there was no air traffic control in those days.

"Flight BA 123.... you have angels off the starboard bow. Turn ten degrees to port." Speedwise, I should have thought the speed of light.

Wish I'd never started this.
                  I'm sure we've all started or continued things that on reflection.....

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                    Miss m (BA hons in theology) has just pointed out that the words state "westward leading, still proceeding". She might have a point.
                    That is according to "We Three Kings". They weren't kings and no-one has the faintest idea how many there were.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

How about? -

Twelve Days of Christmas
                      A Correspondence
                      John Julius Norwich

25th December

My dearest darling
                      That partridge, in that lovely little pear tree! What a
                      enchanting, romantic,poetic present! Bless you and thank you.
                      Your deeply loving Emily

26th December

Mr dearest darling Edward
                      The two turtle doves arrived this morning and are cooing
                      away in the pear tree as I write. I'm so touched and
                      grateful.
                      With undying love, as always, Emily

27th December

My darling Edward

You do thinks of the most original presents: whoever
                      thought of sending anybody three French hens? Do they really
                      come all the way from France? It's a pity that we have no
                      chicken coops, but I expect we'll find some. Thank you,
                      anyway, they're lovely.
                      Your loving Emily

28th December

Dearest Edward

What a surprise - four calling birds arrived this morning.
                      They are very sweet, even if they do call rather loudly -
                      they make telephoning impossible. Bit I expect they'll calm
                      down when they get used to their new home. Anyway, I'm very
                      grateful - of course I am.
                      Love from Emily

29th December

Dearest Edward

The postman has just delivered five most beautiful gold
                      rings, one for each finger, and all fitting perfectly. A
                      really lovely present -lovelier in a way than birds, which do
                      take rather a lot of looking after. The four that arrived
                      yesterday are still making a terrible row, and I'm afraid
                      none of use got much sleep last night. Mummy says she wants
                      us to use the rings to 'wring' their necks - she's only
                      joking, I think; though I know what she means. But I love
                      the rings. Bless you
                      Love, Emily

30th December

Dear Edward

Whatever I expected to find when I opened the front door
                      this morning, it certainly wasn't six socking great geese
                      laying eggs all over the doorstep. Frankly, I rather hoped
                      you had stopped sending me birds - we have no room for them
                      and they have already ruined the croquet lawn. I know you
                      meant well, but - let's call a halt, shall we?
                      Love, Emily

31st December

Edward

I thought I said no more birds; but this morning I woke up
                      to find no less than seven swans all trying to get into our
                      tiny goldfish pond. I'd rather not thinks what happened to
                      the goldfish. The whole house seems to be full of birds - to
                      say nothing of what they leave behind them. Please, please
                      STOP
                      Your Emily

1st January

Frankly, I think I prefer the birds. What am I to do with
                      eight milkmaids - AND their cows? Is this some kind of a
                      joke? If so, I'm afraid I don't find it very amusing.
                      Emily

2nd January

Look here Edward, this has gone far enough. You say you're
                      sending me nine ladies dancing; all I can say is that judging
                      from the way they dance, they're certainly not ladies. The
                      village just isn't accustomed to seeing a regiment of
                      shameless hussies with nothing on but their lipstick
                      cavorting round the green - and it's Mummy and I who get
                      blamed. If you value our friendship - which I do less and
                      less - kindly stop this ridiculous behaviour at once.
                      Emily

3rd January

As I write this letter, ten disgusting old men are
                      prancing abour all over what used to be the garden -before
                      the geese and the swans and the cows got at it; and several
                      of them, I notice, are taking inexcusable liberties with the
                      milkmaids. Meanwhile the neighbours are trying to have us
                      evicted. I shall never speak to you again.
                      Emily

4th January

This is the last straw. You know I detest bagpipes. The
                      place has now become something between a menagerie and a
                      madhouse and a man from the Council has just declared it
                      unfit for habitation. At least Mummy has been spared this
                      last outrage; they took her away yesterday afternoon in an
                      ambulance. I hope you're satisfied.

5th January

Sir
                      Our client, Miss Emily Wilbraham, instructs me to inform
                      you that with the arrival on her premises a half-past seven
                      this morning of the entire percussion section of the
                      Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and several of their friends
                      she has no course left open to her but to seek an injunction
                      to prevent your importuning her further. I am making
                      arrangements for the return of much assorted livestock.
                      I am, Sir, Yours faithfully,
                      G.CREEP
                      Solicitor-at-law

Comment

• amateur51

Many thanks for the JJ Norwich-spoof Alpie - still drying my eye here

Good to see that you're gettting the hang of this retirement lark

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Then there's this one from the '80s:-

A young woman, Mary, who’d recently reached school-leaving age, was planning to marry a local self-employed furniture manufacturer called Joseph. His small business had been created without government subsidy, and was showing good end-of-year profits.

The guest list for the wedding hadn’t yet been drawn up, but parental consent had been given and plans were well in hand.

Shortly before Joseph’s mid-year stock-taking, Mary indicated that she had been for confidential pregnancy tests and that these had proved positive. She claimed to have seen an extra-terrestrial being, telling her that his leader was responsible. Joseph was suspicious, but didn’t want Mary to become a one-parent family. The extra-terrestrial recommended that Joseph went ahead with an early marriage and suggested consultation with the Nazareth branch of “Relate”.

Shortly before the baby was due, the entire population was ordered by the army of occupation to go back to their birthplaces for a census. Joseph was from Bethlehem on the Israeli-occupied West Bank, and, being a budget-conscious environmentalist, he took Mary there by donkey. Being temporarily out of pocket, and without a credit card, they toured
                          various pubs and hotels, hoping for late cancellations, but double-booking was the order of the day, and the best they could manage was a cow-shed and silo. After a short sleep, Mary woke Joseph and told him that the baby was coming. The delivery was achieved without complications, and Joseph estimated that the baby weighed around 3.2 kg. Mary said
                          they must tell cousins Liz and Zach as soon as possible. Not far from the outer suburbs of Bethlehem, a group of agricultural livestock employees were on the Green Belt doing night-shift, erecting an electric fence to prevent the ewes from mixing with those being selected for early lambing. The repair was soon completed, so they decided to take a short nap, only to be awoken by what appeared to be a nuclear explosion. In a blind panic, they ran back to the barn in search of their old copies of Protect and Survive. They, quite unexpectedly, they heard the voice of an extra-terrestrial (similar to the one Mary had met). This one, however, was high in the sky, along with a number of others, all apparently suspended from giant parachutes. Their leader told them not to panic, while the others sang a new song which was destined to become a hit in subsequent years. Then the extra-terrestrial beings told the farm workers to go into Bethlehem to find the baby in the cow-shed. Al though they were told to leave their sheep, a few woolly creatures tagged along behind, to get their pictures on the Advent Calendar.

Meanwhile, a group of intelligent star gazers had abandoned their observatory to follow the path of a comet which appeared only once every 76 years. The oldest of them had seen it when a small boy and they were all travelling by camel to the part of the world where it was predicted they could obtain the best viewing without a telescope. The other two claimed an important person was to be born beneath it.

When they arrived in Jerusalem, they asked the Prime Minister for help. They could no longer see the comet as it was cloudy. The Prime Minister was pleased to co-operate, but when he heard about the baby, asked for a public enquiry to ascertain whether or not this child was likely to plan a revolution and overthrow him. Then he changed his mind and asked the Secret Police to investigate.

When the star-gazers went out again, they saw the comet, which appeared brighter than before, and they managed to avoid any confrontation with Israeli troops looking for the child. By the time they reached Bethlehem, the comet was directly overhead, in Pisces. After a few discrete enquiries in the town, local publicans directed the men to the cowshed, complaining bitterly that the family had stayed there for so long, even thought they now had plenty of vacancies at favourable rates.

The first man gave the baby a certificate for gold shares, which the child screwed up and put in his mouth. The second man gave him some sticks of incense, which Joseph quickly confiscated, fearing that they might contain cannabis. The third man gave him a bottle of myrrh, which Mary promised to keep safely until the baby was older.

Soon afterwards, Joseph and Mary decided the holiday was over and it was time to return home to Nazareth. They called in at a fish and chip shop and heard that in breach of international law and all known human rights conventions, the Prime Minister was planning to kill their child, believing him to be a threat to himself and a future supporter of Arab terrorism. Joseph had had a nightmare about this very possibility on the previous night.

The Prime Minister was planning to make sure of the killing by executing all the babies in Bethlehem that the Secret Police could find. Amnesty International claimed something like this was happening, but, as was so common, the world governments chose to ignore the situation. Joseph’s friends in the furniture trade helped to smuggle the family to the Sinai desert, which was once again in Egyptian hands. Egypt and Israel were formally at peace, but it would have been politically insensitive to have requested extradition. Soon afterwards, the Prime Minister died and was replaced by a more humanitarian successor.

The family returned to Nazareth. Joseph had lost many valued customers during his long absence from furniture making, but the quality of his work ensured that, given time and an upturn in the market, business would flourish. He had new customers in Egypt, provided that he could obtain an export licence. Joseph hoped his son would become his apprentice
                          after leaving Nazareth Comprehensive School*, but he didn’t yet know that this son was to have other ideas.

*Joseph and Mary did not believe in private education.

Comment

Working...
                          X