X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Mandy Rice-Davies RIP

Sad to see that Mandy Rice-Davies has died of cancer so young (a mere 70). I'm afraid my mind went back to my prurient early teenage school days in 1963 when copies of the Daily Express or similar would be brought in and carefully gone through in the playground for salacious details relating to the Profumo scandal. Of course, there is the famous reaction upon hearing that Lord Astor had denied sleeping with her: "Well, he would, wouldn't he?". I also like a later quote: "My life has been one long descent into respectability". (I can ever so slightly identify with that.)

In the early 80s she was very good indeed in a touring production of Tom Stoppard’s "Dirty Linen" which we saw at the Wyvern Theatre Swindon.
  • Mary Chambers
    • Nov 2010

"He would say that, wouldn't he?" has entered the language. True of many situations.

It all happened when I was in my early twenties. Christine Keeler lived fairly near to where I lived in London at the time - at least we thought she did.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

As EJ Thribb might write:

RIP Mandy
      At school we called you
      Randy Rice Crispie

Shame about the Establishment
      Still being there.

Comment

• Karafan
        • Nov 2010

Very sad to hear this news - she always struck me as a very elegant and intelligent individual.....

K.
        "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

I will give Fool Britainia (Peter Sellers et al) a spin in here honour when I get home tonight.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

It's particularly sad that apparently she had some classified information that could have been used to clear the reputation of Stephen Ward, and now it may be lost.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

This is a rattling good read on the Profumo scandal and those heady days in the 1960s: http://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Affa...english+affair
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• clive heath

Is that
                Fool Britannia LP Ember CEL802 EX/EX 1963 with Anthony Newley, Peter Sellers & Joan Collins
                the LP that has two would-be film producers in a phone box?

Comment

• Karafan
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                  It's particularly sad that apparently she had some classified information that could have been used to clear the reputation of Stephen Ward, and now it may be lost.
                  If true, that is sad Ferret (though one would have hoped it could have been brought to light in the last 51 years). Dr Ward was vilified and made a scapegoat of the establishment and those who hounded him so mercilessly ought to have hung their heads in abject shame.

Compared with the rather less fortunate Keeler, Mandy seems to have really made something of her life in the aftermath of the scandal. Though, pithily, she regarded it as "a slow descent into respectability"!

Karafan
                  "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Stephen Ward may not have been legally cleared, but surely hardly anybody believes in his guilt, and indeed most people think he was royally stitched up.

But sad, as you say, if that information is now lost.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Karafan
                      • Nov 2010

A little more thought-provoking reading:

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Best scene from Scandal...Mandy and Christine getting dressed to devastate, to The Shadows' Apache ..
                        ...that look they give each other at the end...

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by clive heath View Post
                          Is that
                          Fool Britannia LP Ember CEL802 EX/EX 1963 with Anthony Newley, Peter Sellers & Joan Collins
                          the LP that has two would-be film producers in a phone box?
                          Indeed it is, in camel hair overcoats no less, though I no longer have the LP. What I do have is a free CD version which, IIRC, came with the Sunday Express. I bought a few copies of said CD from a newsagent for 10p each (without having to get the Sunday Express). The proceeds went to some Islamic charity or other. Copies are easily found on ebay for around £1 or so.

Comment

• amateur51

Journalist Tom Mangold made a BBC programme broadcast a few years ago in which he described being with Ward in his last evening. If anyone is going to find missing material it is the redoubtable Tom Mangold

I remember hearing the phrase "society osteopath" in connection with Ward and its context conjoured up all manner of depravity in my young mind

Later the explanation seemed impossibly mundane

MRD's famous line sums up the era so well

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Good piece in today's Guardian - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...candal-profumo - referring to the forces ranged against Stephen Ward & how MRD, although called as a witness for his prosecution, did her best to defend him.
                              Last edited by Flosshilde; 20-12-14, 18:13. Reason: correcting the link

Comment

Working...
                              X