X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Your Dream Box Sets

I was thinking that there there must be box sets that you wish existed but don't. I really had in mind composers, but there might just as easily be conductors, soloists, orchestras, and so on.

Just to get the ball rolling...I would snap up

1. A great big box of Villa- Lobos. (at least 40 CDs !!)
    2. A complete set (so far) of David Matthews recorded works, (and no doubt many that need recording).

Anyway, feel free to play !!

Edit: Also a big box of Jurowski recordings would be splendid !
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.
  • Cockney Sparrow
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    I .... A great big box of Villa- Lobos. (at least 40 CDs !!)
    WARNING - refers to DOWNLOAD You could make a start with the (7 CD equivalent) bundle of the Complete Choros & Bachianas Brasileiras on offer at eclassical for $40 in lossless quality. Its been a bundled offer for some time, so eventually they will withdraw it I suppose
    BIS Boss Robert von Bahr: We have been extremely lucky with this Box, even though it was "only" in CD quality. It would seem like that very many persons - like me - have

(Apologies if yours is strictly an imagined exercise or you do not download, and I acknowledge it falls short of your desired 40 physical disc box set).

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
      WARNING - refers to DOWNLOAD You could make a start with the (7 CD equivalent) bundle of the Complete Choros & Bachianas Brasileiras on offer at eclassical for $40 in lossless quality. Its been a bundled offer for some time, so eventually they will withdraw it I suppose
      Download Classical Music in lossless High Resolution FLAC & MP3 formats, and learn about Classical Music. Refund Policy, No DRM protection and pricing is per second.

(Apologies if yours is strictly an imagined exercise or you do not download, and I acknowledge it falls short of your desired 40 physical disc box set).
      it is purely imaginary, although I guess folks may find things , such as your suggestion, that they didn't know existed.
      I'll look into the BB/choros download, though I do have almost all in on version at least.

The 40 CD suggestion was just greed , (and because there is so much of his I don't have on CD ).

Thanks CS.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

A Halle/Loughran Box from his Enigma label period. A box of the Command Classics issues. A Haitink box to include the gaps and works which were not in the big Symphony box. Withdraw his irritating pick and mix Philips years box and include Dvorak 7/8, Schubert 5/8/9, his Tchaik 4/6 recorded before the full cycle and other such items. A comprehensive Previn box of his Philips issues. A Kletzki Icon box.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

It would be nice to have a supplementary box of the Mercury recordings that were not included in the two bumper issues. This would include the remaining Dorati recordings of the Tchaikovsky symphonies, his superb Rimsky Korsakov recordings and a number of othe issues which did appear briefly on CD back in the 1990s but for some reason were omitted.

A proper collection of all the Karajan / Philharmonia recordings from the 1950s, both mono and early stereo would also be on my wish list. He had a freshness then, before the sharper edges were smoothed away.

Comment

• Don Petter

I'm dreaming at long last to find a box big enough in which to store all my existing box sets.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

I'm still waiting for Warner to box-up all Karajan's Wagner recordings from DG and EMI (including the Live Tannhauser) - all recorded when the conductor had finished his London apprenticeship and become the powerful master of these scores.

Oh, and if we are "dreaming" - the boxed set of the Mahler 75th birthday concerts given in Amsterdam in 1935 in which all fifteen symphonies were conducted by the composer who also supervised the performances of his seven String Quartets (including the world premiere of his Seventh, in which he first adopted the serial methods of his friend Schönberg) and the four Piano Sonatas.

Sadly, not even Amazon's drones can make deliveries from that parallel universe.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• JFLL
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                I'm still waiting for Warner to box-up all Karajan's Wagner recordings from DG and EMI (including the Live Tannhauser) - all recorded when the conductor had finished his London apprenticeship and become the powerful master of these scores.

Oh, and if we are "dreaming" - the boxed set of the Mahler 75th birthday concerts given in Amsterdam in 1935 in which all fifteen symphonies were conducted by the composer who also supervised the performances of his seven String Quartets (including the world premiere of his Seventh, in which he first adopted the serial methods of his friend Schönberg) and the four Piano Sonatas.

Sadly, not even Amazon's drones can make deliveries from that parallel universe.
                Or Mozart's 75th Anniversary Concert in Vienna in 1831, when all 150 symphonies and 87 piano concertos were played, including the premier of Symphony no. 150 ('The Choral') in memory of his friend Beethoven.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
                  Or Mozart's 75th Anniversary Concert in Vienna in 1831, when all 150 symphonies and 87 piano concertos were played, including the premier of Symphony no. 150 ('The Choral') in memory of his friend Beethoven.

Interesting that both Mozart and Mahler may have died from the same streptococcol-based blood poisoning disease.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Interesting that both Mozart and Mahler may have died from the same streptococcol-based blood poisoning disease.
                    ...and leave us thinking what they would have composed had they not decomposed early!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Stanford,complete string quartets.
                      Havergal Brian,complete symphonies.
                      Weinberg,complete orchestral works.
                      Alkan,complete edition.

In fact,complete editions of the above,and Parry.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

Sir Simon Rattle and Die Berliner Philharmoniker in their complete George Lloyd symphony cycle...!

(If only these bloody lottery numbers would come up...!)

Comment

• Jonathan
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                          Stanford,complete string quartets.
                          Havergal Brian,complete symphonies.
                          Weinberg,complete orchestral works.
                          Alkan,complete edition.

In fact,complete editions of the above,and Parry.
                          Couldn't agree more about the Alkan!
                          Best regards,
                          Jonathan

Comment

• Madame Suggia
                            • Sep 2012

Sibelius complete symphonies
                            Concertgebouw, Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

The Complete Tchaikovsky (not the Brilliant Classics incomplete bodge of old recordings)
                              The Complete Elgar (long overdue)
                              The Complete Vaughan Williams
                              Rutland Boughton: Complete Glastonbury Ring

Comment

Working...
                              X