X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Asmr

The initials in the thread title apparently stand for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. Until literally this morning, I had not known that anyone apart from myself had experience of this phenomenon, nor had any hopes or expectations that I would hear anything about it, until it turned up on Today.

What I am speaking of is a sensuous response to certain mainly light tapping, clicking or scratching sounds.

I cannot actually remember when I first experienced this; it may have gently impinged itself on my consciousness only to dissipate subsequently due to no thought or importance attaching to it. I do however remember remarking on the soporific qualities inhering in a recording of percussion with electronics by Tony Oxley, when played at low volume, to the saxophonist Elton Dean, and Elton saying he did not think Oxley would be pleased to hear me saying this! Having as an insomniac and occasional panic sufferer discovered their calming effect, I went on to make a tape of like sounds, produced by, among other things, tapping a pencil on the edge of a table and a chair back, cutting paper with scissors, and gently striking a part water-filled saucepan with a wooden spoon while dipping it into a washbasin of water, producing a special water gong effect that I find especially pleasing. I use this tape for tuning in, as a meditation soundtrack. In my own case, I also derive like sensations from watching specific activities carried out by another person, especially applying paint - there is something wonderfully and almost dare one say sub-erotically soothing about these processes that elicit the sensations described in the programme, almost, although she does not say this, as though one is identifying one's own tactileability with the surfaces coming into mutual contact.

I've often thought about this - could it, for instance, be some primitive form of aesthetic response linked to the libido? - but never found anyone else who has admitted experiencing similar. Perhaps, assuming ther response to be commoner than admitted, leading a busy life marginalises conferring significance to it. But I am relieved to discover that I am not as unique in this as I had led myself to think.

The item in question is at 1:41:48 into the link below:

Morning news. Includes Sports Desk, Yesterday in Parliament, Weather, Thought for the Day.
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

hmmm.....

ASMR videos - which claim to induce an intense physical sensation in the viewer - have softly become an internet phenomenon.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Nuttin', sorry . The nearest thing is the 8-hour YouTube video of the sound of a night train which is supposed to aid sleep. I tried it one night but I would probably call it nostalgia rather than ASMR. And it probably kept me awake. I didn't try it again.

Can't deny what some people have experienced, but as far as the sudden explosion of interest which amounts to a craze - I'm with the neuroscientist: snakeoil.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        ... the sound of a night train which is supposed to aid sleep. I tried it one night but I would probably call it nostalgia rather than ASMR. And it probably kept me awake. I didn't try it again.
        ... shd've tried the LNER instead

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          I can understand people not believeing if they haven't experienced this. It's the same with ESP. And yet Aimee's experiences, including the workman, which is uncanny, completely replicate my own - remember I hadn't read your link when I posted the OP.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Nuttin', sorry . The nearest thing is the 8-hour YouTube video of the sound of a night train which is supposed to aid sleep. I tried it one night but I would probably call it nostalgia rather than ASMR. And it probably kept me awake. I didn't try it again.

Can't deny what some people have experienced, but as far as the sudden explosion of interest which amounts to a craze - I'm with the neuroscientist: snakeoil.
            I think people who put huge kudos on the logical and the rational over the intuitive are the most likely to be skeptical.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Would this ASMR possibly be more commonly known and the tingle factor?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Would this ASMR possibly be more commonly known and the tingle factor?
                I've always read "tingle factor" as referring to the ability of music to evoke creepiness - the way Holst does in Neptune, Schoenberg in some of his Expressionist period works, Bartok in the 3rd movement of the Music for Strings, Harp, Percussion and Celesta, or gifted film music composers building up tension.

I am however wondering if being in possession of whatever this response is contributes to the way I appreciate certain kinds of music - especially free improvisation using electronics, or unconventional sound sources/instruments which offer a particularly tactile sonority. Maybe individual hard-wiring, early conditioning, or a combination of these, accounts for musical tastes - for liking or not certain instrumental or harmonic blendings or combinations.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  I think people who put huge kudos on the logical and the rational over the intuitive are the most likely to be skeptical.
                  Very likely. Not saying it's comparable, but I have known people who have had paranormal experiences, or even just weird feelings. Not me If I met a ghost I'd want to interview it.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Very likely. Not saying it's comparable, but I have known people who have had paranormal experiences, or even just weird feelings. Not me If I met a ghost I'd want to interview it.
                    I'm probably unusual in being open to "paranormal experiences" without needing to seek underlying causes, deistic or otherwise. It has been suggested that modern consciousness brackets out certain sensory responses once necessary for survival. Noting certain instantaneous responses in jazz and improvised music alone, convinces me of the existence of EST.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

... Noting certain instantaneous responses in jazz and improvised music alone, convinces me of the existence of EST.
                      What, Erhard Seminars Training?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        What, Erhard Seminars Training?

I must admit not to having heard of those before. I am reminded of Exegesis, which existed in the 1980s: two of whose products ran a takeaway around the corner from my place in Bristol, on very low wages, and a nicer pair of clones one could not wish to meet. There was a documentary on TV, and I remember thinking, Alan Watts ("The Way of Zen"), mentioned in the Wiki links, would roll in his grave if he thought his understandings were being promulgated for brainwashing purposes - his own view of present-centred consciousness having nothing to do with wiping memory clean. He was also against acquiring or aspiring to the occult or superhuman.
                        Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 11-12-14, 19:08.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

What we think of as rational and logical are surely based on a relatively narrow band of understanding.....viz the Quantum Physics prog the other night.

if one can accept that a particle on probably exists, or may go in and put of existence, or may exist in two places at once, then acceptance, if not understanding of other "phenomena" is easy.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            What we think of as rational and logical are surely based on a relatively narrow band of understanding.....viz the Quantum Physics prog the other night.

if one can accept that a particle on probably exists, or may go in and put of existence, or may exist in two places at once, then acceptance, if not understanding of other "phenomena" is easy.
                            That's a big "if "- but I think I know what you're getting at.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

That's a big "if "- but I think I know what you're getting at.
                              My understanding of quantum physics is very limited, ( no, really !!) but i haven't seen those suppositions refuted by anybody reputable....but no doubt they can or have been.

One of the things i worry about, (yes really !!!) is the knowledge, understanding and insights that we may have lost from earlier times in human history, to our detriment.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                              X