• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by gradus View Post
    In 1966 my future wife and I were eating in the Golden Lion Ipswich whilst at the next table Mr Thorpe was lunching with half a dozen local dignitaries and entertaining them with a virtuoso display of jokes and anecdotes that had them in stitches, evidently a very clubbable man and not difficult to see how his charm had got him to the top of the Liberal party in those days.
    His charm and his brilliant mind.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

I saw him once at a party conference, sitting in the audience, in the 'post-Thorpe' era after he had disappeared for some time. He got a resounding welcome when his presence was noted, which he acknowledged quietly. There was a rather disrespectful version of 'On Ilkley moor baht 'at' which was sung at the only conference 'Glee' that I attended.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        I saw him once at a party conference, sitting in the audience, in the 'post-Thorpe' era after he had disappeared for some time. He got a resounding welcome when his presence was noted, which he acknowledged quietly. There was a rather disrespectful version of 'On Ilkley moor baht 'at' which was sung at the only conference 'Glee' that I attended.
        Charisma, I think it's called.

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          I was quite surprised when I heard it on the news - he seems to belong to such a long-ago time that I assumed he was already dead.
          Me too; I seemed (clearly erroneously!) to think he'd died years ago!

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Certainly listening to this, it felt like another world:

Tom Mangold investigates the life of Jeremy Thorpe, the former Liberal leader.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

I once knew a dodgy antiques dealer who operated from a portacabin off the A13. Modelled his appearance on Thorpe: same hat, same coat with the fur collar.

Comment

Working...
              X