Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

all a bit odd to start the article by quoting one, apparently lone, voice of dissent in the deluge of praise for the Kate Bush comeback .

What is NL's problem with somebody having an opinion on this that differs from the mainstream ?

If you publish opinions, which is what criticism is, expect a reaction, and not always favourable.

(Personally I found the deluge of praise for Kate Bush rather wearing, since she doesn't seem to have gone out of her way for her adoring public over the decades, and I don't get on with her music, and god knows I have tried to).
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• zola
      • May 2011

The January concert in the Aspect Foundation series of concert / lectures looks enticing with Berlin : The Age of Enlightenment and music by JS Bach, CPE Bach, Quantz and Agricola from an ensemble including Mahan Esfahani. One possible down side is "illustrated talk by Norman Lebrecht". Should I let this put me off ?

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zola View Post
        One possible down side is "illustrated talk by Norman Lebrecht". Should I let this put me off ?
        'What I did on my holiday' - with snaps?

team - I wouldn't expect to like KB but I did try something on YouTube because it seemed to be something that was praised - was it called Wuthering Heights? Little girl act had absolutely nil appeal. Not sure what that proves ...
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

team - I wouldn't expect to like KB but I did try something on YouTube because it seemed to be something that was praised - was it called Wuthering Heights? Little girl act had absolutely nil appeal. Not sure what that proves ...
          probably best to ask somebody who actually likes her work. TBF, Wuthering Heights isn't exactly typical.

I would try this, as its the only thing of hers I really like. The subject matter is Chernobyl, I think.

Kate Bush arrived on the scene when I was about 18, and was at a boys school. We divided into two groups, a small group that immediately fell in love with her,(and her music) and the rest who just shrugged their shoulders and went back to listening to loud fast music.

I suppose that her work, recorded and , every 35 years or so on stage, is well crafted.

(Talking about the little girl thing, one has to wonder how people's musical careers might have gone differently but for a certain look?...)
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

I guess she's the Cathy Berberian of rock! I quite like her but never explored her repertoire in depth probably because there were other demands on my listening time in the late 70s/80s. Maybe I'll have an artiste of the week in 2015 as there are others I need to look at in more depth!

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              probably best to ask somebody who actually likes her work. TBF, Wuthering Heights isn't exactly typical.

Kate Bush arrived on the scene when I was about 18, and was at a boys school. We divided into two groups, a small group that immediately fell in love with her,(and her music) and the rest who just shrugged their shoulders and went back to listening to loud fast music.

I suppose that her work, recorded and , every 35 years or so on stage, is well crafted.

(Talking about the little girl thing, one has to wonder how people's musical careers might have gone differently but for a certain look?...)
              ts I think that the great thing about Kate Bush is that she is one of a small number of artistes/acts whose career was not swayed musically by someone else whose main interest was making money.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                ts I think that the great thing about Kate Bush is that she is one of a small number of artistes/acts whose career was not swayed musically by someone else whose main interest was making money.
                fair point.

I don't know about other people, but I find it mildly irritating to not be able to find what it is that other people so enjoy in particular musicians.

But so it goes, and she has, TBF, created a very distinctive body of work, that a lot of people enjoy.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  I guess she's the Cathy Berberian of rock!

I think that's Diamanda Galas (maybe a bit too scary?)

So Norms jaded Viola chum didn't like Kate Bush
                  actually he didn't like the lyrics
                  hope he's not booked for DoG then

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    hope he's not booked for DoG then
                    Looking forward to my first live performance tomorrow, Gongers

Sorry, team, still listening but got fed up with watching it . I wonder how far these videos 'sell' the artist and song?
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Would that "certain look" imply what another poster on another thread refers to when talking of "waxing lyrical", I wonder?

Ouch!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Looking forward to my first live performance tomorrow, Gongers
                        Hope it works for you :big grin:
                        I think i'm going to Huddersfield to the plinkfest

Don't think Norm will be there though.

Comment

• Alison
                          • Nov 2010

Norm is an expert on the contemporary scene

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

I would try this, as its the only thing of hers I really like. The subject matter is Chernobyl, I think.

Pretty much the same here. The upper sixth was divided into those that didn't like her and those that ended up wearing glasses.

I liked 'The Kick Inside' and also acquired 'Hounds Of Love' later on.

Wuthering Heights was a great single.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              Norm is an expert on the contemporary scene
                              Shouldn't that read "expert" ?

Comment

• Zucchini
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by zola View Post
                                The January concert in the Aspect Foundation series of concert / lectures looks enticing with Berlin : The Age of Enlightenment and music by JS Bach, CPE Bach, Quantz and Agricola from an ensemble including Mahan Esfahani. One possible down side is "illustrated talk by Norman Lebrecht". Should I let this put me off ?
                                Certainly not; he's a useful, energetic news-gatherer, summariser and commentator on the music scene and intelligent enough to give an interesting talk.

Comment

Working...
                                X