• Stillhomewardbound
    • Nov 2010

Paul Vaughan RIP

One of radio's finest voices:

Broadcaster loved for his mellifluous voice on radio and television
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

And a good obituary, too. Makes Something In Linoleum sound like a social document worth reading.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      And a good obituary, too. Makes Something In Linoleum sound like a social document worth reading.

Just ordered a copy.

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

A memorable voice and a funny writer too. 'Exciting Times' in the Accounts Department' is very amusing and well worth reading too.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Deeply saddened to hear this news. In the mid 70s, my post-thesp years, I started from basics at the Central Office of Information (COI) and did a crash course in Films and Tv at Morley College with a classy, albeit martinet BBC director. In due course, I became Production Manager (aka a 'gofer') at the COI for a series 'Living Tomorrow', FCO sponsored for overseas distribution only - we were permitted to work with minimum crews providing the programmes were not shown in the UK. No posh lunches and public transport was the norm. I had regular contact with Paul and had to negotiate dubbing sessions at Wardour St to fit-in with his availabilty. A consummate professional he was always flexible and tolerant of script changes right up to the dub day. Warm-hearted and humorous he made time to talk about my regular attendance at the Wigmore Hall as he was also an avid concertgoer. Yes, a lovely man.

I've just placed my copy of "Exciting Times in the Accounts Department" (1995) in my bedtime stack to engage with the man and his persona again. RIP

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
            • Nov 2010

It's very sad how there's so little regard these days for good speaking voices.

Vaughan's was the perfect documentary voice because it had all the nuance and clarity to cogently render the script but it never drew attention to itself. It was personable without being visible if I can mix my similes.

Derek Cooper, albeit with a much more textured voice, possessed a similar facility as the voice of the filmed reports for Tomorrow's World.

I suppose it will be too much trouble for someone at Radio 4 to dig out an excellent quarter hour feature he did on the art of narration.

One of the occupational hazards he picked up on was burping. 'You swallow a lot of air in this job' was his wry explanation.

Comment

Working...
            X