• Nov 2010

Better rewards, possibly.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        Better rewards, possibly.
        What kind? Pedal points?

(Geddit?? Pedal points for drones??? No???? I'll get me ostinato)

Comment

• JFLL
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          I always take parcels in for my neighbour (there are two parcels in my hall at the moment). Although cards are left telling them where to collect them, it's left to me to try to find them in, first picking up the parcels, unlocking my front door (it has no Yale-type latch), marching round with the parcels, ringing the front door bell and waiting to see if anyone will come, then going back home and replacing the parcels on the floor in the hall. This is typically repeated three or four times. Each time I hold on to them for longer and longer to see who will crack first. I dunno. People!
          Are you sure the cards have actually been left, though? Twice in the past two weeks I've taken in parcels for neighbours (one if not both via Yodell, I think) and I've asked the deliverer whether he'll leave a note with the intended recipients saying where it's been left. Yes, he would. But after a few days of non-collection I contact the neighbours and they say no note has been put through their door. Makes you wonder …

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
            Are you sure the cards have actually been left, though? Twice in the past two weeks I've taken in parcels for neighbours (one if not both via Yodell, I think) and I've asked the deliverer whether he'll leave a note with the intended recipients saying where it's been left. Yes, he would. But after a few days of non-collection I contact the neighbours and they say no note has been put through their door. Makes you wonder …
            So much for competition in the postal market

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

After putting my own card through my neighbour's door saying I had been trying to deliver the parcels to them for two days (when their lights were on and I could hear them next door), the neighbour eventually called to collect them - and apologised saying he had been very busy. This morning, 10.00am, the famous DPD called, and having notified them, probably, to within an hour when a parcel would arrive, there was no reply so it was again left with me .
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Are you sure the cards have actually been left, though?
                In this case, yes. I live in a terraced house and his door is within a foot of mine. I saw the cards being written and the postman walking round to put them through the letterbox. Any further questions, m'lud?

[Of course, the postman could have waited until I closed my door and then withdrawn his hand from the letterbox, still clutching the card, and gone away. But I think on balance that's unlikely. And my front door is glazed so I can still see what's happening even when I'm closing the door.]
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

In this case, yes. I live in a terraced house and his door is within a foot of mine. I saw the cards being written and the postman walking round to put them through the letterbox. Any further questions, m'lud?

[Of course, the postman could have waited until I closed my door and then withdrawn his hand from the letterbox, still clutching the card, and gone away. But I think on balance that's unlikely. And my front door is glazed so I can still see what's happening even when I'm closing the door.]
                  Too much information ....

I once had a rented room in a house and another person had a room at the front. One day I went into his room around 11am, and he looked out and as the postman walked down the street, and said something like "Ah, he'll go to number 69 next, then 71 - oh - he's missing out number 75 today - they normally have a parcel ...."

BW

Comment

• JFLL
                    • Jan 2011

Hmmm.... How about telling the postman that the neighbours have asked you to tell him to take undelivered parcels back to the sorting office, and to put a note through their door saying they could collect it there (a normal procedure, after all)? Not strictly honest, but maybe salutary.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Hmmm.... How about telling the postman that the neighbours have asked you to tell him to take undelivered parcels back to the sorting office, and to put a note through their door saying they could collect it there (a normal procedure, after all)? Not strictly honest, but maybe salutary.
                      It did occur to me that as today's parcel was delivered by DPD, and they ask for specific instructions as to where to deliver in the unlikely event that people will not have been following the progress of their parcel from 8am onwards, neighbour must have given specific instructions to LEAVE WITH NEXT DOOR NEIGHOUR, or DPD would have taken it away again anyway. Bit presumptuous, if I may be allowed to hazard an opinion.

Comment

• mercia
                        • Nov 2010

I have just bought an item on eBay. Apparently it will be sent from Birmingham, North Yorkshire.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          I have just bought an item on eBay. Apparently it will be sent from Birmingham, North Yorkshire.
                          Continental drift!
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                          X