X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Deliveries

The Today programme this morning - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04pv736 - had an interesting, slightly amusing, and sadly relevant item, re deliveries. The poppies from the London exhibit at the Tower of London have been sent out, and many of them were sent out using a firm Yodell. The most amusing story was by the man who was out when his package was delivered, apparently unharmed (amazingly). He was out when it was delivered, but the delivery man could not get in due to the gates and fence. The house had a CCTV system. When the owner returned he was surprised to find the package on his doorstep, so looked at the CCTV footage. The process took some time, as the delivery man waited for a while, and tried various ways in. At this point the owner expected him to have climbed over the fence, but apparently he just hurled it over the fence towards the door, and maybe it landed on the door mat.

Other recipients were seemingly not so lucky, and received damaged items.

Mostly goods that we receive here are in reasonable condition, though I have had damaged goods (indeed, delivered by said Yodell firm), but the usual pattern is that the drivers run up to the door, hurl the goods down in front of the door, ring the bell or knock quickly and then run away. They run fast, I can't even get to the door by the time they have driven away. Often no cards are dropped, or if they do bother they proclaim "left in secure porch" which is a total lie, as anyone could come up and remove the items - which would be clearly visible from the road, and there is no porch! However, I can't say that Yodell is the only firm whose delivers do this - others also follow this practice.

In the rather sad case of the poppies, it is somewhat surprising that they weren't sent out in better packaging, or marked "Fragile", though I suspect mischievously that some companies might take that as a challenge!
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I always take parcels in for my neighbour (there are two parcels in my hall at the moment). Although cards are left telling them where to collect them, it's left to me to try to find them in, first picking up the parcels, unlocking my front door (it has no Yale-type latch), marching round with the parcels, ringing the front door bell and waiting to see if anyone will come, then going back home and replacing the parcels on the floor in the hall. This is typically repeated three or four times. Each time I hold on to them for longer and longer to see who will crack first. I dunno. People!
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Frances_iom
      • Mar 2007

I've noticed adverts for a secure drop + pickup point for parcels (? Draggle or similar was company name) yiu get given some unique key to type in rather like the top up schemes for mobile phones - a couple of Coop stores I've seen have installed lockers for a similar scheme but places like main commuter stations would seem to be ideal as pick up delivery (assuming carryable) on way back home

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        I always take parcels in for my neighbour (there are two parcels in my hall at the moment). Although cards are left telling them where to collect them, it's left to me to try to find them in, first picking up the parcels, unlocking my front door (it has no Yale-type latch), marching round with the parcels, ringing the front door bell and waiting to see if anyone will come, then going back home and replacing the parcels on the floor in the hall. This is typically repeated three or four times. Each time I hold on to them for longer and longer to see who will crack first. I dunno. People!
        Precisely my own experience these days - though in my case my next-door neighbours are only a couple of metres away, so I tend to wait until I think they're home; but this lot just snatch the packet from my hands with a peremptory "thanks", but no "sorry for any trouble you might have been put to".

Slightly OT, but are there new protocols around door bells these days? More and more I am responding to quiet taps, wondering, is that for me?? The other day, thinking I might be hearing distant DIY, I waited until the tappings became loud bangs, and shouted "All right, all right, I'm coming!" The poster, a meter checker as happened, looked blankly at me indicating the bell, then testing it to demonstrate to her it was OK, and said, "Oh, I thought I might be upsetting you by ringing your door bell"!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Precisely my own experience these days - though in my case my next-door neighbours are only a couple of metres away, so I tend to wait until I think they're home; but this lot just snatch the packet from my hands with a peremptory "thanks", but no "sorry for any trouble you might have been put to".
          Perhaps we should resort to the 'hurling' method?

Don't know about bells. I have the kind you pull and the bell jangles loudly. I suppose it's one of the inconveniences my neighbours have to put up with (come to think of it, perhaps they haven't worked out that you have to pull it rather than press it, and they HAVE been coming for their parcels).
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

I recently had words with our current postman. He assured me that he never dropped off any parcels in the way I mentioned, which is perhaps not too surprising as he would have had trouble carrying them. When I mentioned that I thought that Royal Mail did sometimes do this he responded on the lines of "never ..." only within one day I spotted a delivery by another Royal Mail or Parcel Force van doing exactly that. I suggested to the postman that I really did not want parcels left ouit, and they should definitely be taken back to the local office with a note through the door. Since then that has happened. I think that some drivers think it's helpful to leave the parcels - and indeed that does save trips to the sorting office - but really they should not leave parcels unless there are arrangements in place to ensure that they will be safe. I don't mind parcels going to neighbours, and I often take in parcels for others, but in the limit it is surely up to the carrier to make sure that items do get securely delivered to the intended recipient, hopefully in good condition.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

This is a real problem at this time of year. I now use the Collect+ system at the local Co-op and it's brilliant. You get an e-mail from Amazon (or whoever) telling you it's arrived then I simply walk into the local Co-op on my way back from work (around 6.30pm) and show the assistant the bar code on my phone, they scan it in, hand over the parcel and off I go.

Recommended.
              Last edited by Petrushka; 27-11-14, 23:29.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

I once had a parcel left in a wheelie bin at the front of the house.
                The card read 'left in blue bin'.
                You can guess the rest,yes it was bin day.
                True story.
                They kindly sent a replacement tbf.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  The Today programme this morning - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04pv736 - had an interesting, slightly amusing, and sadly relevant item, re deliveries. The poppies from the London exhibit at the Tower of London have been sent out, and many of them were sent out using a firm Yodell. ... damaged items.
                  Just imagine what they would have been like delivered by drone - probably dropped from a great height!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

The introduction of drones might encourage a new alternative to grouse shooting.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      The introduction of drones might encourage a new alternative to grouse shooting.
                      Ah - great. Imagine one of these coming down from a great height - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL48W5...-8&keywords=TV

Alternatively items might get diverted by hackers - a new form of theft - or maybe just steal the drones!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Comment

• Zucchini
                          • Nov 2010

Of course the drone can be equipped to inspect your house and generate emails suggesting you need a new lawnmower, 50l of exterior paint, 3 fence panels a packet of cayenne pepper, and what was the man from number 22 doing to your wife. And offering keen prices on all these except your wife
                          Last edited by Zucchini; 29-11-14, 10:00.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                            Of course the drone can be equipped to inspect your house and generate emails suggesting you need a new lawnmower, 50l of exterior paint, 3 fence panels a packet of cayenne pepper and what was the man from number 22 doing to your wife
                            So, just like my postman, then?
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Not as tasty, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X