X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ucanseetheend
    • Dec 2010

Classical music on portable digital devices

I have started transferring numerous classical music tracks to an ipod (to listen when travelling). It all sounds very easy because I have copied individual single tracks to it before. The problem with classical music, with one piece and its, movements, sections etc is when transferred the tracks often appear separated, making it extremely difficult to hear a complete "piece"
    "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

I know you already have the pod
    But if you want something really easy to use, reliable, cheap, great to use on the move, I would suggest investing an extra £30 in one of these.

Not probably for those who want top class " bells and whistles "machines, but I absolutely love mine. You can insert a micro SD card to give you about 24 gig memory, and add adding and removing music is a doddle.
    And it almost always keeps movements in the right order.
    Great little piece of kit. And if it breaks or get lost you are only 30 quid down.

But otherwise good luck in the ipod walled garden .
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

.... and one of the customer reviewers says he put his through the washing machine and tumble dryer and it still works

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post

.... and one of the customer reviewers says he put his through the washing machine and tumble dryer and it still works
        Purcell to Persil?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ucanseetheend View Post
          ... an ipod.... The problem with classical music, with one piece and its, movements, sections etc is when transferred the tracks often appear separated, making it extremely difficult to hear a complete "piece"
          Hmmm.... I don't quite understand what the problem could be. I have largely classical pieces on my iPod, and have never encountered any difficulty at all, the movements or sections follow one another (and can be navigated amongst) as on other media such as CD.

Are you saying your iPod only plays one movement or track at a time, and then stops? Because I think that would mean you have some setting engaged which needs switching off, so it plays one track after another. Also, I organise everything by 'albums' - I wonder if that has something to so with it....
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Purcell to Persil?
            Great for surf music too.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Great for surf music too.
              Yer big Fairy
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

I'm DAZzled by your comments...

Comment

• amateur51

I know you already have the pod
                  But if you want something really easy to use, reliable, cheap, great to use on the move, I would suggest investing an extra £30 in one of these.

Not probably for those who want top class " bells and whistles "machines, but I absolutely love mine. You can insert a micro SD card to give you about 24 gig memory, and add adding and removing music is a doddle.
                  And it almost always keeps movements in the right order.
                  Great little piece of kit. And if it breaks or get lost you are only 30 quid down.

But otherwise good luck in the ipod walled garden .
                  I confess to having coveted one of these for a while and your positive post has almost pushed me over the edge, teams

Could you say a bit about the battery life? How long between charges with what sort of use?

And do the earphones supplied do the business? And if not, what's your preferred solution?

Getting quite excited here

TMI?

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    I confess to having coveted one of these for a while and your positive post has almost pushed me over the edge, teams

Could you say a bit about the battery life? How long between charges with what sort of use?

And do the earphones supplied do the business? And if not, what's your preferred solution?

Getting quite excited here

TMI?
                    Right, I'm not usually one to unhesitatingly recommend, but its a great little device.
                    Battery life is excellent. I would guess (as I don't us it every day) at least 10 hours playing time, probably more. I seldom have to charge it, and it charges off a laptop USB charger or a mains mini USB, which are cheap as chips. Charges quickly too.

Can't remember about the earphones, I wouldn't think they were much cop. Like any other device, best possible headphones I guess would be desireable, but I get decent quality for use on trains etc from a £10 pair of JVCs. something like this:

Obviously you might want something better for use in surroundings where good sound is possible.

8 GB storage is fine, but I do use the Micro SD card slot and a 16GB card, which are about a fiver. Just check which generation card. IIRC the very common class 10 are fine.

I find it really easy to copy music, even big sets such as the Holmboe complete symphonies came out in the correct order.
                    If you want to build a big library for on the move, obviously a selection of Micro SD cards is an answer.
                    One downside ids that the battery is not removable, so if and when the battery conks out, what you are left with is really just a small hard drive.
                    Had mine a couple of years and its going fine.

The display is adequate at best though. If you had lots of versions of , say, the Beethoven symphonies on the device, you might struggle to choose a particular one.

Overall, its a great thing to take a decent amount of music with you. I find it very easy to add and remove music. Quality seems fine, and of course if you lose it its only £30 gone !!

Hope that helps, Ams.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

I've never had any problem with my Creative Zen, & it also has a radio.

(and you can store photos & videos - ideal for your secret stash of Vanessa Mae pics )

Comment

• amateur51

Right, I'm not usually one to unhesitatingly recommend, but its a great little device.
                        Battery life is excellent. I would guess (as I don't us it every day) at least 10 hours playing time, probably more. I seldom have to charge it, and it charges off a laptop USB charger or a mains mini USB, which are cheap as chips. Charges quickly too.

Can't remember about the earphones, I wouldn't think they were much cop. Like any other device, best possible headphones I guess would be desireable, but I get decent quality for use on trains etc from a £10 pair of JVCs. something like this:

Obviously you might want something better for use in surroundings where good sound is possible.

8 GB storage is fine, but I do use the Micro SD card slot and a 16GB card, which are about a fiver. Just check which generation card. IIRC the very common class 10 are fine.

I find it really easy to copy music, even big sets such as the Holmboe complete symphonies came out in the correct order.
                        If you want to build a big library for on the move, obviously a selection of Micro SD cards is an answer.
                        One downside ids that the battery is not removable, so if and when the battery conks out, what you are left with is really just a small hard drive.
                        Had mine a couple of years and its going fine.

The display is adequate at best though. If you had lots of versions of , say, the Beethoven symphonies on the device, you might struggle to choose a particular one.

Overall, its a great thing to take a decent amount of music with you. I find it very easy to add and remove music. Quality seems fine, and of course if you lose it its only £30 gone !!

Hope that helps, Ams.
                        Triffic help teams, couldn't get served quicker in a chip shop

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                          I've never had any problem with my Creative Zen, & it also has a radio.

(and you can store photos & videos - ideal for your secret stash of Vanessa Mae pics )

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ucanseetheend View Post
                            The problem with classical music, with one piece and its, movements, sections etc is when transferred the tracks often appear separated, making it extremely difficult to hear a complete "piece"
                            This is not a problem on my iPod for ripped CD recordings, though on the rare occasions I buy downloads, I always specify gapless playback/dubbing.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

If you have a set of mp3s or raw aac files (not wrapped as m4a), you can use Mp3DirectCut (freeware) to stitch them together. Sometimes there is a little 'dead air' at the beginning of end of files that needs to be dealt with by copying and pasting just the wanted section of such files, but on the whole it works well. There is no resolution to PCM and re-encoding involved, and the process is non-destructive of the original files.

Comment

Working...
                              X