Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

I guess following this morning's news she's a bit piste off!

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

A skiing fiddle it was described as in the Times - as she came last I imagine there was too much double stopping on the way down .

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        A skiing fiddle it was described as in the Times - as she came last I imagine there was too much double stopping on the way down .
        I guess it was a bridge too far!
        Now she must bow out!

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

I've just realised (while trying to come up with a suitable pun) that the bow in 'second string to your bow' refers to archery, not music.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
            I've just realised (while trying to come up with a suitable pun) that the bow in 'second string to your bow' refers to archery, not music.
            Though, to confuse matters, a French translation would be 'le violin d'Ingres' because the painter Ingres also played the violin, albeit not so well.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

See this - which inspired this -

Man Ray was an admirer of the paintings of Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres and made a series of photographs, inspired by Ingres's languorous nudes, of the model Kiki in a turban. Painting the f-holes of a stringed instrument onto the photographic print and then rephotographing the print, Man Ray altered what was originally a classical nude. He also added the title Le Violon d'Ingres, a French idiom that means "hobby." The transformation of Kiki's body into a musical instrument with the crude addition of a few brushstrokes makes this a humorous image, but her armless form is also disturbing to contemplate. The title seems to suggest that, while playing the violin was Ingres's hobby, toying with Kiki was a pastime of Man Ray. The picture maintains a tension between objectification and appreciation of the female form.
              (http://www.getty.edu/art/gettyguide/...s?artobj=61240)

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                ... the title Le Violon d'Ingres, a French idiom that means "hobby."
                ... not quite 'hobby', I think. Wiki's description is better - "..."violon d'Ingres", meaning a second skill beyond the one by which a person is mainly known... " Ingres was by all accounts a very proficient violinist. If you visit the - excellent - Ingres Museum in his home town of Montauban you can actually see the very 'violon d'Ingres', his own instrument.

Last edited by vinteuil; 13-11-14, 15:20.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  If you visit the - excellent - Ingres Museum in his home town of Montauban
                  Indeed, when I visited there was a small Picasso exhibition, attended by a very appreciative local audience which stood considering each painting and discussing it in some detail for some while. "Scenes You Seldom See..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du2mcf4qkRc Sorry, a bit O(T)T :-)

Second string to his bow?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Zucchini
                    • Nov 2010

Now that's what I call a picture of a violinist:

Page of The Violinist Niccolò Paganini by INGRES, Jean-Auguste-Dominique in the Web Gallery of Art, a searchable image collection and database of European painting, sculpture and architecture (200-1900)

So beautiful (to me)

Comment

Working...
                    X