• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Now you are getting technical!
    It could be that ahinton is referring to credit cards not incurring bank charges, as he mentioned earlier, and which I didn't know, as happens. But also as happens I'm against credit cards on principle that they are inflationary; I seldom used mine, which I allowed to go defunct some years ago - or rather the bank cancelled it through non-use on my part.

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      It could be that ahinton is referring to credit cards not incurring bank charges, as he mentioned earlier, and which I didn't know, as happens. But also as happens I'm against credit cards on principle that they are inflationary; I seldom used mine, which I allowed to go defunct some years ago - or rather the bank cancelled it through non-use on my part.
      Well, they don't usually incur individual transaction charges although many incur annual fees - but what I sought to draw attention to was not that but the fact that the wad in which DDs and CCAs are set up and operated are not identical, although from the customer's point of view the effect is broadly similar.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

I am also puzzled about mention of bank charges for DDs. In my experience banks don't charge for DDs, and most organisations actually offer a discount for taking out a DD. This is, I figure, because they reckon that inertia will probably keep most people paying even for services they no longer use - such as Lovefilm, magazine subscriptions etc.

OK, some forms of bank account may charge for DDs, but I thought most decent personal ones these days provided that service foc.

PS: What is a CCA? I thought they were the same as DDs - whatever they are.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          I've always paid by DD and some years back (cannot remember) it said it would be a continuous debit until 2016, which I thought was an ok way to pay without the hassle of renewing (bearing in mind I didn't think I would either move or get rid of the tv before that date)
          It's great having you back after what seems ages, Anna!

I shall probably renew by DD, misgivings notwithstanding, because my license is due for renewal today; and although transfers don't generally operate at weekends, the license authorities are tending to check payments automatically nowadays, rather than being dependent on detector vans, so I'm not sure they'll allow a fortnight's grace, as before.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

I am also puzzled about mention of bank charges for DDs. In my experience banks don't charge for DDs, and most organisations actually offer a discount for taking out a DD. This is, I figure, because they reckon that inertia will probably keep most people paying even for services they no longer use - such as Lovefilm, magazine subscriptions etc.

OK, some forms of bank account may charge for DDs, but I thought most decent personal ones these days provided that service foc.
            Bank charges, including but not limited to transaction charges on certain types of account, are becoming ever more widespread; yes, by no means all all banks charge for all transactions, but more and more are beginning to do so.

PS: What is a CCA? I thought they were the same as DDs - whatever they are.
            It's a Continuous Card Authority, applicable only to credit and charge cards, whereas a DD is a Direct Debit from bank current accounts.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

The deed is now done. Many thanks to all for your ideas and advice.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Is the object a

Licence ?
                as you are being Licensed ?

rather than being dependent on detector vans
                Did they ever have anything more sophisticated than a list of everyone without a TV Licence ?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  Is the object a

Licence ?
                  as you are being Licensed ?
                  Either spelling will do, apparently...

Did they ever have anything more sophisticated than a list of everyone without a TV Licence ?
                  I do have a conscience of sorts about this kind of thing. But I well remember, one place where I lived receiving advance notices of the impending visit of a detector van - which rather undermined any surprise element, because no sooner did it put in an appearance than it was surrounded by screaming 10-year olds who gleefully had away with the aerial attachment as a trophy. No further visits took place!

Comment

• John Wright
                    • Mar 2007

Detector vans are no more. Yes they rely on a list of non-licensed premises.

Credit cards and direct debits, I never get charged for these on domestic accounts, they are cheaper, I can view accounts on-line, so easy watching them and to budget, and I still use Microsoft Money program.
                    - - -

John W

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by John Wright View Post
                      Detector vans are no more. Yes they rely on a list of non-licensed premises.
                      Did they always do this ?

Comment

• John Wright
                        • Mar 2007

Sorry my post maybe made wrong sense. I meant 'Detector vans are no more', and then meant that 'the licence chasers now rely on a list of non-licensed premises'.
                        - - -

John W

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                          Bank charges, including but not limited to transaction charges on certain types of account, are becoming ever more widespread; yes, by no means all all banks charge for all transactions, but more and more are beginning to do so.
                          Indeed more banks are trying to find ways to charge, but surely there are many which still do not charge for DDs. I realised that I now do pay for several accounts, but I get back more than I pay out so I'm not too bothered. Some people may not be able to do that.

Thanks for the explanation about CCAs - makes sense.

Some people get a really rough deal from their banks I believe, and I have had "issues" with some in the past - you know the sort "Your account went 1p overdrawn for 20 micro seconds on 2nd July, so we are now charging you £30, plus a further £12.50 for this letter" - which then gets worse over time.
                          I do feel that "everyday" banking has improved a lot over the last few decades, and mostly just works, but don't get me on to investment bankers.

Comment

Working...
                          X