X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stillhomewardbound
    • Nov 2010

New Newsnight - Newsnight Lite?

"Is it just me or is Newsnight, post Paxman, firmly bedding in as something of a news-lite current affairs magazine?

It seems to have gone a bit 'You and Yours' / 'Woman's Hour' in tone.

Yes, the strong political stuff is still there but overall I can't help but feel the mix has gone rather flaccid.

Now, this post is not some lament for the passing of an element of Paxo-testorone, but as the BBC's flagship current affairs digest, and in such challenging times, where has the grit and bite gone?"

Discuss.
  • Honoured Guest

I switched from Newsnight to Channel 4 News because I can't tolerate Laura Kuenssberg.

From Monday 3rd November, Newnight will apparently shrink by twenty minutes a week.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
      From Monday 3rd November, Newnight will apparently shrink by twenty minutes a week.

Soon be gone altogether, then.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

No grit in the oyster.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

It seems very feeble these days. Evan Davis was OK on Today, good on economics obviously, but his emollient interviewing style makes for a rather limp programme. I don't think Laura K is a good interviewer - not quick on her feet, rather than responding tends to ask the same question again only more shrilly. There are two (I think) new teenage politics/economics blokes who lack gravitas, yet to establish themselves.

The old hands are still at the top of their game, what we see of them - Allegra Stratton is very smart, Mark Urban (who still seems to be on occasionally) one of the best analysts in his field around....Kirsty still good....

The problem is the editor. Russell Brand anyone

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            I don't think Laura K is a good interviewer - not quick on her feet, rather than responding tends to ask the same question again only more shrilly.
            Indeed. Still remember her interviewing one of the BBC bosses re BBC Monitoring, practically ignoring the answers already given and asking the same question over and over again - to no purpose whatsoever. Haven't watched her since though.
            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Yep. Channel 4 for me as well. Serious coverage of serious news, incisive, rarely pulls punches, treats its audience as adults.

And ITV News at Ten - I like the two-presenter mix.

BBC seems to have lost its way in terms of the presentational packaging it encourages / requires both on TV and radio.
              Eddie Mair should have got the Newsnight job IMO.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                • Nov 2010

There's a very timely lecture by David Dimbleby on the Parliament channel at the moment. He has a section on the new newsnight which is very telling, but also it is very good over view of the long term trajectory of the political interview ...

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Don't watch, but has the BBC become too jumpy? Loss of confidence after the debacles?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

The new editor has certainly altered the tone of the programme.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                      The new editor has certainly altered the tone of the programme.
                      This is his FT article (from which: "... the party leaders used 31 different forms of evasion that fell into the following categories: ignoring the question, acknowledging the question without answering, questioning the question, attacking the question, attacking the interviewer, declining to answer, making a political point, giving an incomplete answer, repeating previous answer and claiming already to have answered the question" )
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Channel 4 News is certainly the best at present. Jon Snow is my hero, with excellent back-up from his team, including some ex-Newsnight, like Michael Crick, Matt Frei and Paul Mason. And Lindsey Hilsum must be the most authoritative Foriegn Correspondent of her generation - such panache!

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                          Channel 4 News is certainly the best at present. Jon Snow is my hero, with excellent back-up from his team, including some ex-Newsnight, like Michael Crick, Matt Frei and Paul Mason. And Lindsey Hilsum must be the most authoritative Foriegn Correspondent of her generation - such panache!
                          ... quite agree (tho' I'm not such a fan of Jon Snow, who can often take himself a bit too seriously for my taste... ) - they have a wonderful team : don't forget Gary Gibbon, Jonathan Rugman, Kylie Morris, Alex Thomson...

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... quite agree (tho' I'm not such a fan of Jon Snow, who can often take himself a bit too seriously for my taste... ) - they have a wonderful team : don't forget Gary Gibbon and Jonathan Rugman...

http://www.channel4.com/news/news-team
                            I used to love watching Elinor Goodman at election times.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Boilk
                              the absurd lengths Newsnight goes to with visual and conceptual metaphors for many a story, it's the sort of thing one might have seen on Chris Morris's Brass Eye spoof reportage series back in the late Nineties - many of whose sketches have turned out to be uncannily prophetic.
                              Indeed, it gets to a point where you're so fascinated by the graphics that you don't take in what they're actually talking about.

And Lindsey Hilsum must be the most authoritative Foriegn Correspondent of her generation - such panache!
                              All respect to Lindsay Hilsum, but I think the Beeb's team, especially in Middle Eastern coverage, is hard to beat - the Arabic-speaking Jim Muir (based in Beirut), Orla Guerin and Lys Ducet (both outstanding and packing a powerful moral punch), Ian Pannell and Paul Wood for their coverage of the most dangerous war zones, Jeremy Bowen a knowledgeable middle east editor, and John Simpson just for his vast experience. Can't make up my mind about Tim Whewell for Newsnight - excellent coverage of the Arab Spring but quirky with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X