X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

A Good news music story

Many of tend to grumble about the lack of good news stories in the media, when of course we all see good things going on around us all the time.
    Anyway, here is an unadulterated good news story.

The great R and B guitarist Wilko Johnson, well known to rock fans through his work with Dr Feelgood and as a solo performer, has been declared free of his cancer, after having been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer in 2012.

After the diagnosis. Wilko, who is one of the great characters of rock music,with a unique stage presence, embarked on a long farewell tour. Subsequently, as the cancer failed to beat him, he played a series of festival concerts in summer 2013, and recorded a top 3 selling LP with Roger Daltrey of The Who.
    He underwent pioneering surgery this year, and has now been declared free of the disease.
    I was lucky enough to see two of Wilko's " farewell" shows, and they were two wonderfully inspiring occasions. I am in no doubt that the love of music and the thrill of still performing to sell out crowds were a massive part of his survival, and gave the doctors the time to help effect the extraordinary cure..

here is wilko performing one of his own songs.

Last edited by teamsaint; 23-10-14, 21:30.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    Many of tend to grumble about the lack of good news stories in the media, when of course we all see good things going on around us all the time.
    Anyway, here is an unadulterated good news story.

The great R and B guitarist Wilko Johnson, well known to rock fans through his work with Dr Feelgood and as a solo performer, has been declared free of his cancer, after having been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer in 2012.

After the diagnosis. Wilko, who is one of the great characters of rock music,with a unique stage presence, embarked on a long farewell tour. Subsequently, as the cancer failed to beat him, he played a series of festival concerts in summer 2013, and recorded a top 3 selling LP with Roger Daltrey of The Who.
    He underwent pioneering surgery this year, and has now been declared free of the disease.
    I was lucky enough to see two of Wilko's " farewell" shows, and they were two wonderfully inspiring occasions. I am in no doubt that the love of music and the thrill of still performing to sell out crowds were a massive part of his survival, and gave the doctors the time to help effect the extraordinary cure..

here is wilko performing one of his own songs.

Oh that's fantastic news! Many thanks for posting teamsaint.

P.S. I saw them in 1974 and also on the Malpractice tour at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1975. I guess we saw him at either end of his career! TBC

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Wonderful story,thanks for posting this ts.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Brilliant, brilliant news indeed.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Great news indeed, also covered in The Times yesterday. Thank you for that clip ts - some serious bass going on there, apart from anything else

Dr Feelgood the band I most wish I'd heard live

My favourite song

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            Great news indeed, also covered in The Times yesterday. Thank you for that clip ts - some serious bass going on there, apart from anything else

My favourite song
            RT,to see Norman Watt Roy play bass live is indeed an education. He plays every note as though it is the most important note he has ever played.

Hopefully Wilko will continue to play live with Norm, and if you get a chance to see them play, It is a great show. Two really extraordinary performers, doing the thing they love.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post

My favourite song

How about this.........

Comment

Working...
              X