• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

RIP Alvin Stardust

Alvin Stardust (Bernard Jewry), a good east end boy, dies after a short illness. Fond memories of his TOTP appearances - certainly added something to it all!

He'll be missed.

R.I.P.

Singer Alvin Stardust, best known for his hit My Coo Ca Choo, dies aged 72 after recently being diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer.

• Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    He'll be missed...
    His daughter Sophie was friends with mine (Carice) in about 1988 when we lived in Aldershot and they both attended school in Farnham...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
      His daughter Sophie was friends with mine (Carice) in about 1988 when we lived in Aldershot and they both attended school in Farnham...

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

A man , or more accurately, a persona, who never seemed to be of his time.

As Beefy says, unforgettable TOTP performances, brilliantly cheesy in an age which did cheesy better than any other.

RIP.
        Last edited by teamsaint; 23-10-14, 15:32.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Boilk
          • Dec 2010

He'll be missed.

R.I.P.
          With all due respect to the man, I don't think his cultural contributions were missed in the 80s, 90s or 00s. Or that his forthcoming album (November) will break new ground musically. I can't think of many so-called Glam Rock acts of the '70s that added much of value musically speaking, Wizzard and (early) Queen excepted.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

So Bernie has sadly bolted. A star act indeed in his days. A cousin of mine had some dealings with him while working for an event promotions set-up around the time he took over the 'Alvin Stardust' persona and dropped the 'Shane Fenton' et al. She found him very personable.
            Last edited by Bryn; 23-10-14, 15:23. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
              With all due respect to the man, I don't think his cultural contributions were missed in the 80s, 90s or 00s. Or that his forthcoming album (November) will break new ground musically. I can't think of many so-called Glam Rock acts of the '70s that added much of value musically speaking, Wizzard and (early) Queen excepted.
              Wrong thread.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                So Bernie had sadly bolted. A star act indeed in his days. A cousin of mine had some dealings with him while working for an event promotions set-up around the time he took over the 'Alvin Stardust' persona and dropped the 'Shane Fenton' et al. She found him very personable.
                Yes, by all accounts, he was a decent bloke.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Yes, by all accounts, he was a decent bloke.
                  I think his performing style brought a lot of smiles to faces! I remember at his peak seeing a large mural of his portrait on the end of a terraced house.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

A superstar,his music brought pleasure to many people.
                    Can't believe he was 72.

RIP.

Comment

Working...
                    X