X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
    I an't remember my search-wording but it was something simple like 'Tom Service listening to Wagner' and I found the elusive link to the video.
    If you're desperate enough ...

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Well you try looking for it for a start ...

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

It's No 5.

Brilliant!
      To satisfy my curiosity, does he dance, sing, conduct, or engage in any other activity while listening to Wagner (& is it only Wagner, or does he engage in the same activities while listening to other composers)?

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        If you're desperate enough ...
        Well it was you who was crying that you couldn't find it ... I was only trying to be helpful.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
          • Jun 2014

To satisfy my curiosity, does he dance, sing, conduct, or engage in any other activity while listening to Wagner (& is it only Wagner, or does he engage in the same activities while listening to other composers)?
          Funnily enough, I've just printed out his Guardian article on Bruckner 8 which is the next concert I'm attending on Thursday.

Mr Service's view of the work is quite a bit removed from my own but I find his enthusiasm and passion for the music quite touching.

As long as I don't find him sitting next to me at the Barbican on Thursday ...

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

He talks, waves his arms a lot, babbles incoherently. He really should be on television but I'm not sure on which programme. Dipsy on Teletubbies?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              He talks, waves his arms a lot, babbles incoherently. He really should be on television but I'm not sure on which programme. Dipsy on Teletubbies?
              You watch Teletubbies ... ?

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

You watch Teletubbies ... ?
                Not since I gave up the TV set - about 20 years ago

But the whirling arms reminded me of some of the eccentric gesticulators of television - Magnus Pyke, Dan Cruickshank &c
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Dipsy on Teletubbies?
                  You're not suggesting he drinks, I hope?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

But the whirling arms reminded me of some of the eccentric gesticulators of television - Magnus Pyke, Dan Cruickshank &c
                    Who was it who said of Jonathan Miller that he was the only person who's hands are too loud for the deaf?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Well it was you who was crying that you couldn't find it ... I was only trying to be helpful.
                      Thanks, but I was quite happy to remain in a state of ignorance (on this matter) (as the poet says, when ignorance is bliss 'tis folly to be wise).

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

You're not suggesting he drinks, I hope?
                        I understand the name is derived from dipstick. I really meant that I found the performance had more visual impact than verbal, as sentences tended to peter out in mid-flow.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Funnily enough, I've just printed out his Guardian article on Bruckner 8 which is the next concert I'm attending on Thursday.

Mr Service's view of the work is quite a bit removed from my own but I find his enthusiasm and passion for the music quite touching.

As long as I don't find him sitting next to me at the Barbican on Thursday ...
                          It could be me as I'm at that concert too Once found myself sitting next to Bernard Levin at a VPO Barbican concert.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                            • Jun 2014

Thanks, but I was quite happy to remain in a state of ignorance (on this matter) (as the poet says, when ignorance is bliss 'tis folly to be wise).
                            How wise ...

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

How about a version of this with

MrPee listening to Elgar

Alpen listening to Strauss

and Simon listening to the Horst Wessel Song ?

(JOKE )

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                                It could be me as I'm at that concert too Once found myself sitting next to Bernard Levin at a VPO Barbican concert.
                                I found myself very near Mr Levin at the Boulez Proms Parsifal years ago. I was standing in the Arena. He was sitting in the stalls.

Comment

Working...
                                X