• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Smog, SA!

Brilliant day here too, but yes, quite cold.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      Smog, SA!

Brilliant day here too, but yes, quite cold.
      I just knew there was a better word for it, BBM!

Still frost aplenty on all surfaces the sun didn't get to just now, as I did my afternoon constitutional, though most of it gone on the lawn here by mid-afternoon, with shade temperatures struggling to reach 3 C. Disagreement seems generally to be the order of the day as far as predictions as to what sort of a winter we are all in for are concerned. In the short term it should however stay largely dry and get a bit milder in the south, while remaining much as it is now in the north and west.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

6.22 kWh of solar power here today, and 6.51 kWh yesterday.
        Nice sunset, too.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Not a cloud in the sky today but then you get very cold!!
          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

It's been a while since anybody has had weather to report on this thread - which is not surprising, given the perpetual grey, drizzly and generally claggy conditions that have pertained for most of the month, creating a mush of accumulated leaves underfoot rather than the usual quagmires - this year the council appears to be skimping on its leaf clearance duties. Looking at today's weather charts, with gentle winds coming up from the Med and a cold front "dangler" across the West Country, had this been July or August we'd all be basking in blistering heat, and the talk would have been of possible thunderstorms coming up from France overnight. It just goes to demonstrate how different temperatures at our latutude can produce entirely different types of weather at various times of the year, even given identical pressure distributions.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Yes, SA. One minuite cold, next minute mild, wet and grizzly! Not much fun!
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

No White Christmas, but batten down the hatches for Barbara!

Hi.

This message applies over the Christmas period for anyone located north of a line roughly from Cardiff north-east to Grimsby. Down here we can meanwhile snuggle in all our complacency in front of the telly.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Yes, I think we should be ok. But still, I think not good though.
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

By gum! More than a bit of a blow oop 'ere.
                    Checked my diary. and apart from the appalling w/end pf 4/5 Dec 2015, 22nd Dec 2015/23rd / 24th Dec were exactly like today has been. Beck and ghylls running very high, and fierce winds I can hear in the roof as I write. Oh, yes, and power cuts! Candles out etc......

Merry Christmas all.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      By gum! More than a bit of a blow oop 'ere.
                      Checked my diary. and apart from the appalling w/end pf 4/5 Dec 2015, 22nd Dec 2015/23rd / 24th Dec were exactly like today has been. Beck and ghylls running very high, and fierce winds I can hear in the roof as I write. Oh, yes, and power cuts! Candles out etc......

Merry Christmas all.
                      Merry Xmas for all that, DracoM!

Would you like me to send a sketch of four candles?

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Tha's kindly meant. Warm me 'ands round t'crinkles, I can.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Hope all Forum Members won't be affected too much by the awful weather that's coming over the Yuletide Season!!
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Thanks, Bbm - and Yuletide Felicitations to you, too - the worst weather up here in the Pennines seems to have passed on Friday and Saturday with Barbara in a bad mood. Today is a lovely, sunny Christmas morning, with just a slight breeze making the branches on the trees sway appealingly.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Thanks, Bbm - and Yuletide Felicitations to you, too - the worst weather up here in the Pennines seems to have passed on Friday and Saturday with Barbara in a bad mood. Today is a lovely, sunny Christmas morning, with just a slight breeze making the branches on the trees sway appealingly.
                              Is everywhere else as warm as 'midst the pits .... On my walk before 7 this morning I had to unzip my anorak as I was boiling .......

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                Is everywhere else as warm as 'midst the pits .... On my walk before 7 this morning I had to unzip my anorak as I was boiling .......
                                You're getting the "Fohn effect" that affects the NE and NE Scotland at this time of year whenever there's a mild SWerly maritime-tropical airstream coming up from the Azores. Basically the moist air gets rid of all its moisture as it crosses the Pennines and Cairngorms and heats up by compression as it then descends on the lee side, sometimes giving shade temperatures as high as 17 degs. C in the middle of the winter to places such as Newcastle and Aberdeen.

Down here today it's just mild for the time of year - 12-13 C, which won't be breaking any records, despite what the tabloids have predicted, but will make for a nice stroll around the more countrified parts of the district here without the need of a coat. Somewhere might hit 15 C, as happened last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X