Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Hot day down here in North Wilts and I am just taking a coffee break from attempting to clear up my garage - no longer able to contain a car but full of old stuff which I can't quite bring myself to throw out. The furniture and kitchen utensils etc from our daughter's first flat really have to go. For sentimental reasons, I will probably keep the hundreds of LPs which I never play, but I think the time has come to say farewell to the serried ranks of Gramophone mags going back to 1972. I don't buy it any more and it is all online now, anyway.

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I find it harder to part with old LPs than with old CDs. Anyway,who wants to lose Cortot, Thibaud and Casals playing trios and treasures like that.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

my problem is the cassette dump, over a 1000 and i have to brave throwing them into one of those big containers ta the tip

[and too right on the lps salymap; in my case Fisher playing the Bach Concertos and Wenzinger in the Cello Suite No 2]
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Chris Newman
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

It has been blowing hot in the sun and cold in the shade in Southern Wiltshire. Had a pleasant walk with friends wiggling in and out of Salisbury as a break from slapping on emulsion paint and carpet laying. Got diverted by a Thai restaurant for their £7.50 lunch offer....yummy.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
            I find it harder to part with old LPs than with old CDs. Anyway,who wants to lose Cortot, Thibaud and Casals playing trios and treasures like that.
            Yes we have a loft full of LPs partly due to Lady Gould's wrong headed theory that Beatles etc. will be worth a fortune one day! And salymap one of my first "treasures" of the classical path was the Archduke by Cortot, Thibaud and Casals- wonderful!

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Mornin' Chris, Anton and all. Glad you got away from the hard work for a bit Chris. Anton, have you crossed the pond? Judging by your early hour you have.

Another prob for poor muddled saly. When I go to BT emails Internet Explorer says 'Stop running the script?' with question mark.Then says 'This will slow your computer'. I say 'yes' but next time it is back.
              Any help appreciated.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Yes salymap the pond is now behind me and it is 8.28 here and probably going to be another scorching day - it's a hard life. Sorry can't help with your computer irritation.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

I'vekept all my audio cassettes - over 1000 of them, going back to 1973 - still record contemporary music and jazz broadcasts off of R3, and will probably continue doing so at a dwindling rate of enthusiasm until it all goes digital. I find they're mostly in remarkably good condition - only today I re-recorded over one which I must have bought in 1985. I feel I've got virtually all the music I want and will ever love on cassette, CD and much treasured vinyl (which I read is making something of a comeback), and don't find much originality in so much of what's described as contemporary music. If anything so-called modern music seems to be going backwards - the spirit of adventure and enquiry has become lost to the global ideology of capitalist realism; one can't help wondering: does the halt in progress signify a halt in civilisation?

Don't get rid of your vinyl, say I - it comes up new when cleaned with meths, and there are surprisingly still shops where replacement stylii are obtainable. The tapes I use are obtained in a local general store - goodness knows who else buys them; probably the fuzz, for interviewing purposes.

S-A

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Morning S-A and everyone. Yes I keep lots of cassettes, LPs Cds and even music on Video [no pics]. The problem, as we have mentioned many times, is storing and listing them. Idespair of ever finding some of my tapes again. When I receive 'Flying Flowers' for birthdays, etc, in a long box I keepthe boxes and fill them with cassette tapes.

Comment

• Mahlerei

Long since sold off my LPs and dumped remaining cassettes - I just don't have enough space to store them.

Is that the time? Must haev some breakfast.

PS. buns will have company soon - a 12-week-old Siberian Husky.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

ooooooh i am struggling with the cassettes and lps .... i have to urgently rearrange everything now i have closed my office and now work from home ... it is the space issue for one, but i find that i listen to music on my pc plugged into a hifi amp and speakers and my aged ears can't tell the difference .... about five bankers boxes full of cassettes and another five or so full of lps, and if i transfer the cds to hard drives .... agony it is so hard to let go yet logic and practicality dictates .... it is a real emotional blockage holding me up ... the attic is an option but there is a lot up there already! advice welcome!
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Uncle Monty

'Morning, saly.

Feeling gung-ho vis-a-vis your computer this morning?! Ready to show it who's boss?

This may work. . .

In Internet Explorer, go

Tools --> Internet Options --> Advanced --> Browsing

then check the boxes before

Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer)

and before

Disable Script Debugging (Other)

(If by some mischance you mess this up, nothing terrible will happen, honest )

Comment

• greenilex
                            • Nov 2010

Slightly worried about Mahlerei's new puppy chewing bunnies - but maybe huskies and bunnies are totally strange to one another and don't meet even on the dinner plate?

Comment

• marthe

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              Yes salymap the pond is now behind me and it is 8.28 here and probably going to be another scorching day - it's a hard life. Sorry can't help with your computer irritation.
                              Goodness Anton! It's not scorching where I am. Cool, cloudy, windy with threats of rain.

Comment

• salymap
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Thank you Uncle Monty, I have just filled in a tax back form and can't tax my brain [sorry]any more today but will try it. So are we censored by our Email people?

Marthe, Anton was eight hours earlier than us when he wrote. Isn't it usually 5 or 6 hour with the US. He is in some exotic spot, mark my words!

And marthe thanks foryour latest,will look at itlater.

Comment

Working...
                                X