Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    www.yr.no is the weather station I consult
    Häftigt!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Häftigt!
      Not after the diet.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Well the weather people had it wrong! Good!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Well a bit of a mixed bag today! Quite overcast at the moment though!
          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

August 1? Have we skipped a couple of months and it's October 1? A windy, occasionally wet and cool day here with temps struggling to get to 20 degrees. The rest of the week doesn't look to see things improve very much but if the forecast is right then next week looks a little better. The long range forecast for August isn't particularly exciting either.

What a poor summer this has been!
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              August 1? Have we skipped a couple of months and it's October 1? A windy, occasionally wet and cool day here with temps struggling to get to 20 degrees. The rest of the week doesn't look to see things improve very much but if the forecast is right then next week looks a little better. The long range forecast for August isn't particularly exciting either.

What a poor summer this has been!
              Very middling sunshine-wise in most places, although temperatures have been averaging slightly above their norms for June and July, and yesterday was the first substantial rainfall here in London for over a month.

This morning I got caught on my bike ride home from a shop a mile away in thick light but remarkably drenching rain; which goes to show that even an amateur weather expert like me can be fooled by a thick featureless grey cloud blanket with nothing coming out of it when I exited the flats! Sunday is one day too far on for the official forecasters to be sure, and I'm just hoping it is going to be sufficiently dry, at least, for my return ride to Sutton (9 miles each way): if wet, it's either to be train (but Southern is playing fast and loose with its customers as well as its workforce, cancelling everything 2 Sundays ago without prior website notice), buses (about three hours in each direction, with long waits at the two or three interchanges!), or cycling under protection from a sweat-inducing cape!

Comment

• Pianorak
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                for my return ride to Sutton (9 miles each way)
                Have you considered one of these? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Razor-E100S...ectric+scooter
                As for reasonably accurate weather forecasts: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/w...ime=1470117600

Roll on Sunday!
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

[QUOTE=Pianorak;573486]Have you considered one of these? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Razor-E100S...ectric+scooter

I have, Pianorak, after seeing them presented on telly a few years ago. But a) they only go for 40 mins before running out of juice; and b) I go faster than a max of 10 mph, yet it takes me a bit longer than 40 mins to get to Sutton and back from here! - and c) with pain when walking, cycling is my one remaining exercise option for keeping my sugar count down, as ordered by my doc!

As for reasonably accurate weather forecasts: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/w...ime=1470117600

Roll on Sunday!
                  Yes but it only goes up to Saturday, non?

Comment

• Pianorak
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Yes but it only goes up to Saturday, non?
                    It does indeed, because the met office knows anything beyond 48 hrs is just beyond them - or anybody else. However, the following is a bit more adventurous, but not necessarily to be relied upon. http://en.meteox.com/
                    I can see the problem with the electric scooter. Bummer!
                    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                      It does indeed, because the met office knows anything beyond 48 hrs is just beyond them - or anybody else. However, the following is a bit more adventurous, but not necessarily to be relied upon. http://en.meteox.com/
                      I can see the problem with the electric scooter. Bummer!
                      Thanks for sending me the Meteox link - that's new to me: I like the way it shows the cloud bands and clusters moving.

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Well, hallo August! Dreech, chilly edge to the wind, fells invisible, rain..........., cloud, swirl of both.........

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Autumn already? Not been much of a summer, so far?
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Already? Huh!

Today is utterly vile, vile, vile. Driving westerly up to force 4/5 in gusts 6, and with it that fine, fine Northern Fells rain / cloud that soaks everything within seconds of being outside. Yuk.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

,,, and early humans chose to wander north of the Loire

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

Well, 'North' is generally dramatic, even theatrical in its weather at times, the landscapes always challenging and exciting, but the more challenging such terrain / geography, the more variable and usually more extreme the weather that dominates it. Yes, it is dreech and increasingly windy today, but frankly, having lived in a number of places in UK, I wouldn't live anywhere else. I don't have to love the weather here to love the place!!

Comment

Working...
                                X